Bulldogs Fan's Worst Fear

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammy08

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Bulldogs fans' worst fear
Adrian Proszenko | September 13, 2009

THE Bulldogs have officially lost their grip on the Mortimer family.

Daniel Mortimer, having set the NRL alight in his debut season for Parramatta, believes older brother Tim could become the next Mortimer to don the blue and gold.

''He's not far off it,'' Daniel told The Sun-Herald. ''He's been here for two years and I think he's got a good chance of breaking into the top grade. It would be a great day if he did. Dad always says that we know each other's games so well, it would be amazing if that did happen.''

Tim Mortimer, 23, represented Parramatta's feeder club, Wentworthville, in yesterday's NSW Cup semi-final against Balmain Ryde Eastwood. Tim is unlikely to displace Dally M medallist Jarryd Hayne from the Eels No.1 jersey but his ability to play anywhere in the three-quarter line makes him a handy option for coach Daniel Anderson.

It would also be the ultimate nightmare for Bulldogs fans. For decades, the Mortimer name has been synonymous with Canterbury. Steve, Chris and Peter - the father of Daniel and Tim - all won premierships with the Berries.

Daniel, 20, and Tim have forged an uncanny understanding after countless backyard games against older brothers James, 25, and Michael, 26. However, they have never played in the same side together. That may soon change.

''I've always had the same ambition but found it a bit tougher to get there,'' Tim said. ''Full credit to Daniel, he's put in a lot of hard work and it's actually motivated me. I'm 23 but it's kept the dream alive.

''We know each other's games pretty well, there's always little flick passes, chip kicks and grubbers [in backyard matches].

''Obviously Jarryd Hayne is in front of me so I have to wait for that opportunity. If it comes up I'll be ready to take it with both hands.''

The brothers are tight. Not only do they live together, they are also in the same class at the Australian College of Physical Education. It's a bond father Peter believes will serve them well if they get the opportunity to play together.

''Tim's a quiet achiever, he keeps plodding along,'' Peter said. ''It would be fabulous for him to get a run in first grade one day.

''Their paths have been different. Daniel came through the AIS and Tim's had to battle through the hard way. Hopefully they both have the same destination.''

The immediate focus for the Mortimer family, however, is Daniel's match against the Dragons today. The Parramatta playmaker believes his side can reverse last weekend's 37-0 loss.

''I was actually hoping we'd get another crack at them,'' Daniel said. ''After the game we went into the sheds expecting to get a big rev from Daniel Anderson.

''But he said: 'Hold your heads up. You've won seven of your past eight games to put yourselves into a position to drop one. You should be proud of yourselves and we'll be ready next week.'''

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
if they don't want to be loyal to the Dogs, it will be more their loss than ours. Its a shame though

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lollllll wtf kind of heading in that, Scared the **** out me.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Good luck to Daniel and Tim but I don't think we will need their services in the short term future.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
well im not fearing that we will lose the mortimer name to the parrascums because the 2nd gen mortimer boys are committing themselves to the parrascums... if they choose to play for a team that has a history of choking when it matters then so be it.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
F*ck the Mortimers!

They are the least of my concerns.

I

I R Cookie

LOL @ worst fear. Fking dumb sensationalist, attention-grabbing journo.

meh.

Although I would really like to see them here at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

NuffSed

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought it was going to be an article stating Kimmorley was done for the year.

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Their dad and uncles were loyal. Doesn't mean they have to be. I'm over these guys. The raps Greenburg was giving Daniel before the Parra game ensured Roberts was going to try too hard, and as a consequence not play as well as he could.

MeskBrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
honestly could not give a **** if they never play for us.

T

Toro

It'd be a shame, but not the end of the world. Up until I was 10 yrs old, I grew to idolise the Mortimer name when I was supporting the Dogs back in the 80's... 3 Mortimers in our team, each with amazing ability... Same with the Hughes brothers...

At least we got to see the Hughes' sons play for us (in Steven, Glen, and Corey)... so I'm not too disappointed. We've also seen some Goodwins play for us (Luke and Bryson) - although I wasn't arround to see their old man (Lord Ted) play for the Dragons and Eels.

Anyways, if the Mortimers don't wanna play for us - it won't be a huge loss at all... Still would take some getting used to, is all.

TCB-BD

CBBD FTW!
Reaction score
Would be nice to have them, but we don't need the next generation of dynasties to win competitions...we have a very decent side as it is.... we will have that for a few years to come so good luck to them where they are now.

~doggie~diva~

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
booo, half of us couldnt care less at the moment FFS!

give us a couple of years, greenberg will lure them to the club :p

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who cares, we have Holdsworth.

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
Hardly a worst fear! LOL what a joke of a headline & a pretty boring article.. LOL.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
It's the end of the world - all Bulldogs fans should neek themselves for this sensationalised article

*Please note I am being sarcastic* :P

R

rocky IV

my worst fear is us trying to sign players because of their surname

Status
Not open for further replies.