Bulldogs fan’s rage: ‘A steaming pile that keeps getting bigger’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOW many times can you pick up your phone, read a headline and let four-letter words fly before you decide to break the cycle for the sake of your own sanity?

As a Bulldogs fan, I wondered that when it was finally announced Aaron Woods would be going to the Sharks. And he could play for them this bloody Friday night.

This on top of Moses Mbye moving to the Tigers two weeks ago. And Kieran Foran being ruled out for the season.

I never held high hopes for 2018, but this is just embarrassing. It was a bad season in 2008 when we finished last, but I had hope every week that we may just pull an upset. Because I’m a diehard.

But this year isn’t just about playing poorly. This is about a club that has ripped apart from the inside. The players are suffering because of that.

When the Woods move was confirmed I fired off an angry text to my sister.

My family are all Bulldogs fans, my sister and I were raised on them. She still has a pint-sized no.7 jersey with Mortimer on the back, which she wore as a bobbling blonde-haired toddler tearing around the hill at Belmore in the early ‘80s.
Des Hasler has copped a lot of blame for the state the Bulldogs are in today.
We’re all feeling the pain.

“We’re not going to have a f****** team to play out the rest of the season. We’ve lost three key players in a F****** WEEK,’ read my text.

A few weeks ago she would have responded with the same amount of rage. Her response yesterday: an ‘unamused face’.

It’s a grieving process it seems.

Stage one. Shock and denial — at the start of the year there was some hope we may be competitibe despite reports of the club’s dire situation.

Pain and guilt. Have you seen them play? It is painful.

Anger and bargaining. Here I am.

Angry. Angry at everyone at Canterbury who allowed it to reach this point. I have hit boiling point with Des Hasler, whom I feel shoulders most of the responsibility.

The future seemed so bright in 2012. A hugely successful, multiple-premiership winning coach had been poached by us. A number of his staff followed him. Good signs. We made the grand final that year. Amazing. Finals the next year. Grand final again the year after.

The Bulldogs have been reeling from bad to worse in 2018 and there is not much hope in sight. Picture: AAP
On the surface it all looked great. But this was where I was unhappy. I wanted Hasler gone when we lost to Souths in the 2014 grand final. I was told I was a whingeing Bulldogs fans, never happy. Some Manly fans even offered to take him back.

Because Manly was in trouble.

Des Hasler left a contractual mess at Brookvale. Back-ended contracts forced out long-serving players as the salary cap pressure built to where it was crippling.

It was there for all to see.

So why, (WHY?!), did the Bulldogs’ board and management allow it to happen too?

It is absolutely mind-boggling. Completely infuriating.

The moment Des Hasler walked in the doors at Belmore he took control of the club. He was allowed to do what he wanted. He was given full reign in the quest for a premiership.

Non-Bulldogs people will say, “But if he won a premiership you wouldn’t be whingeing.”

No I wouldn’t. But he didn’t.

No one remembers second and there are no prizes for almost getting there twice.

All we have is a club in tatters.

Three key players gone in two weeks, but the roster problems started years ago.

Bulldogs fans haven’t had much to cheer for in 2018... and probably won’t in years to come. Picture: AAP
That 2014 grand final? Michael Ennis left the club the next year to make way for Michael Lichaa, a talent on the rise who the Bulldogs forked out for big time. He wasn’t ready for first grade but was brought in at the expense of an experienced hooker who was captain of the club.

Ennis didn’t play in that grand final, but in his place was Damien Cook. He held his own on the biggest stage in rugby league. He has held his own ever since. But he’s gone too, now tearing it up for South Sydney and even still having his moments in blue — the blue of New South Wales.

Josh Reynolds, who could only be more Bulldogs if his last name was Moore or Mortimer, is gone. James Graham (another club captain) gone. Sam Kasiano gone. Moses Mbye is gone. Woods gone. Kieran Foran gone.

Woods, our big signing for 2018, played just half a season before the Sharks picked him up because the Dogs needed the relief in their cap. That we will be paying him for the next two-and-a-half years is bloody hard to take.

Foran is out for the season with a toe injury. That one of the game’s most injury-prone players who hadn’t played a decent season for years because of personal and physical baggage was a key recruit this season makes you wonder who was involved in approving this signing? And for how much?

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has been lumped with a club destroyed from the inside-out. Picture: Alix Sweeney
I feel for Dean Pay. He was a coach looking for a break in first grade and he’s been lumped with this steaming pile that keeps getting bigger. It’s rank.

He deserves a contract extension already because he needs at least three years to ride out this mess and three more to start building his own team.

There may be some comfort in the final stages of grief. Next there’s depression, reflection, loneliness (I think my sister is here). Then the upward turn; reconstruction and working through; and acceptance and hope.

I know the club will come out of this one day and I will still be there when they do. I don’t believe in second teams so jumping on board with someone else just isn’t an option.

I’ll just have to crack out the classic game DVDs for the kids in the meantime to show them what the Bulldogs are capable of because they’re certainly not going to see anything in real life for a while.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think sxc_boi69 wrote this.
The part of re-signing Pay for another 3 yrs gave it away... :p

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Nah I think it summed it all up well. Maybe it let a few names off the hook but I'm over it anyways. There will be no justice on the events that took place.... except Hasler, who would ever let him in their club after what he did to Manly and us?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not a bad read, good honest write up.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Fucks sake Daily Telegraph... I AM NOT BUYING A SUBSCRIPTION... I don't care how many hundred thousand rubbish Bulldogs articles you write.

The horse is dead, it's already decayed and it's flesh rotted, only the bones are left.. stop whipping it!!

GIVE IT A FUCKING REST ALREADY.

This whole blame game bullshit is becoming laughable... who gives a fuck who did what and when they did it... it's not resolving how we are playing is it? It's not going to magically have us premiership contenders?

Rather than go on and on and on about it, JUST.FUCKING.FIX.IT!!!

It's as simple as that.

She lost me when she said Damian Cook played hooker in the 2014 GF.
Never let facts get in the way of a good story.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
HOW many times can you pick up your phone, read a headline and let four-letter words fly before you decide to break the cycle for the sake of your own sanity?

As a Bulldogs fan, I wondered that when it was finally announced Aaron Woods would be going to the Sharks. And he could play for them this bloody Friday night.

This on top of Moses Mbye moving to the Tigers two weeks ago. And Kieran Foran being ruled out for the season.

I never held high hopes for 2018, but this is just embarrassing. It was a bad season in 2008 when we finished last, but I had hope every week that we may just pull an upset. Because I’m a diehard.

But this year isn’t just about playing poorly. This is about a club that has ripped apart from the inside. The players are suffering because of that.

My family are all Bulldogs fans, my sister and I were raised on them. She still has a pint-sized no.7 jersey with Mortimer on the back, which she wore as a bobbling blonde-haired toddler tearing around the hill at Belmore in the early ‘80s.

“We’re not going to have a f****** team to play out the rest of the season. We’ve lost three key players in a F****** WEEK,’ read my text.

A few weeks ago she would have responded with the same amount of rage. Her response yesterday: an ‘unamused face’.

Stage one. Shock and denial — at the start of the year there was some hope we may be competitibe despite reports of the club’s dire situation.

Angry. Angry at everyone at Canterbury who allowed it to reach this point. I have hit boiling point with Des Hasler, whom I feel shoulders most of the responsibility.

The future seemed so bright in 2012. A hugely successful, multiple-premiership winning coach had been poached by us. A number of his staff followed him. Good signs. We made the grand final that year. Amazing. Finals the next year. Grand final again the year after.

The Bulldogs have been reeling from bad to worse in 2018 and there is not much hope in sight. Picture: AAP
On the surface it all looked great. But this was where I was unhappy. I wanted Hasler gone when we lost to Souths in the 2014 grand final. I was told I was a whingeing Bulldogs fans, never happy. Some Manly fans even offered to take him back.

Des Hasler left a contractual mess at Brookvale. Back-ended contracts forced out long-serving players as the salary cap pressure built to where it was crippling.

The moment Des Hasler walked in the doors at Belmore he took control of the club. He was allowed to do what he wanted. He was given full reign in the quest for a premiership.

Non-Bulldogs people will say, “But if he won a premiership you wouldn’t be whingeing.”

Bulldogs fans haven’t had much to cheer for in 2018... and probably won’t in years to come. Picture: AAP
That 2014 grand final? Michael Ennis left the club the next year to make way for Michael Lichaa, a talent on the rise who the Bulldogs forked out for big time. He wasn’t ready for first grade but was brought in at the expense of an experienced hooker who was captain of the club.

Ennis didn’t play in that grand final, but in his place was Damien Cook. He held his own on the biggest stage in rugby league. He has held his own ever since. But he’s gone too, now tearing it up for South Sydney and even still having his moments in blue — the blue of New South Wales.

Josh Reynolds, who could only be more Bulldogs if his last name was Moore or Mortimer, is gone. James Graham (another club captain) gone. Sam Kasiano gone. Moses Mbye is gone. Woods gone. Kieran Foran gone.

Woods, our big signing for 2018, played just half a season before the Sharks picked him up because the Dogs needed the relief in their cap. That we will be paying him for the next two-and-a-half years is bloody hard to take.

Foran is out for the season with a toe injury. That one of the game’s most injury-prone players who hadn’t played a decent season for years because of personal and physical baggage was a key recruit this season makes you wonder who was involved in approving this signing? And for how much?

Bulldogs coach Dean Pay has been lumped with a club destroyed from the inside-out. Picture: Alix Sweeney
I feel for Dean Pay. He was a coach looking for a break in first grade and he’s been lumped with this steaming pile that keeps getting bigger. It’s rank.

He deserves a contract extension already because he needs at least three years to ride out this mess and three more to start building his own team.

There may be some comfort in the final stages of grief. Next there’s depression, reflection, loneliness (I think my sister is here). Then the upward turn; reconstruction and working through; and acceptance and hope.

I know the club will come out of this one day and I will still be there when they do. I don’t believe in second teams so jumping on board with someone else just isn’t an option.

I’ll just have to crack out the classic game DVDs for the kids in the meantime to show them what the Bulldogs are capable of because they’re certainly not going to see anything in real life for a while.
The worst thing is the guy who brought Hitler Hasler to Canterbury was Todd Greenturd,
He now runs the NRL :fearscream::rage::cry: ADIOS ....Rugby league !!!

froggy

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This article was pretty soft. Not one mention of Castle and Dib. Just regurgitating old information. The only new information was that Cook played in the 2014 GF.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fucks sake Daily Telegraph... I AM NOT BUYING A SUBSCRIPTION... I don't care how many hundred thousand rubbish Bulldogs articles you write.

The horse is dead, it's already decayed and it's flesh rotted, only the bones are left.. stop whipping it!!

This whole blame game bullshit is becoming laughable... who gives a fuck who did what and when they did it... it's not resolving how we are playing is it? It's not going to magically have us premiership contenders?

It's as simple as that.

AGREE 100%:rage: FFS lets move on, I have heard and read enough about this bullshit....for fucks sake lets move on!!! whats happened has happened , no one can change the past but, we all can help change the future of this great club by backing what we have left over and stick together with our new head coach to re build so we can once again belt the shit out of who confronts us on the playing field!!
Believe me, I am hurting as much but, I believe I am hurting more that anyone on this forum right now, I backed Des Hasler to bring us home the bacon but, like some others (not many) on this forum I was WRONG!!:worried:
It would be awesome if we via this forum work hard together to help the coach who has put his nuts on the line ( not one other applicant wanted a bar of us after looking at the books) to get us through all this negative shit over the next couple of years. THANK YOU Dean PAY!!!
At least we all now know where we stand right now moving forward!! I just wish the club had informed us a lot earlier than when they did no matter what the circumstances.....you can't beat the truth no matter how bad it is.
I will look forward like a lot of other proud supporters on this Forum on how we can all positively contribute to the rebuilding of this great Club. TBH if I read too much more of the negative shit then its Bye Bye because I am sick of it.

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score

From little things big things grow ☀

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

It's as simple as that.

Lol
You just hate seeing how wrong you were for wanting dib and the other freaks voted back in

Everyone of these articles ram home how wrong you were and how fucking bad they all were

I love everyone of these articles

The more the better

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
AGREE 100%:rage: FFS lets move on, I have heard and read enough about this bullshit....for fucks sake lets move on!!! whats happened has happened , no one can change the past but, we all can help change the future of this great club by backing what we have left over and stick together with our new head coach to re build so we can once again belt the shit out of who confronts us on the playing field!!
Believe me, I am hurting as much but, I believe I am hurting more that anyone on this forum right now, I backed Des Hasler to bring us home the bacon but, like some others (not many) on this forum I was WRONG!!:worried:
It would be awesome if we via this forum work hard together to help the coach who has put his nuts on the line ( not one other applicant wanted a bar of us after looking at the books) to get us through all this negative shit over the next couple of years. THANK YOU Dean PAY!!!
At least we all now know where we stand right now moving forward!! I just wish the club had informed us a lot earlier than when they did no matter what the circumstances.....you can't beat the truth no matter how bad it is.
I will look forward like a lot of other proud supporters on this Forum on how we can all positively contribute to the rebuilding of this great Club. TBH if I read too much more of the negative shit then its Bye Bye because I am sick of it.
I also thought after 2012 that we would be an unstoppable machine after 2014 I had fears with how the squad was progressing in 2015 when we got knocked out I started telling anyone that would listen that we needed change, halfway through 2016 I knew our premiership window was over and someone else needed to take the reigns sadly another year went passed and we are now in the current situation, as a supporter if the club for 35 years I will not stop supporting but am really disappointed that people in power put the club in this position

Doggone1975

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have one of them in my pants now:tonguewink:
I am actually happy with our direction.. Feel like we have cut ALOT of DEAD WOOD ... And it has been like going through a shitty break up with a girl....

Status
Not open for further replies.