News Bulldogs emerge as favourite to sign Alex Twal after coffee shop meeting with Cameron Ciraldo

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
Who are we going to sign then? We must be getting D saf now surely!

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He isn’t likely to resign with them he’s just staying till the end of his deal. Canterbury were in talks for a 3 year deal, Manly 4 years effective immediately but that has stalled. I assume either Manly or us will begin talks after Nov 1 for 2025. Manly seem much more keen considering their 4 year deal so I think they’ll get him.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who are we going to sign then? We must be getting D saf now surely!
Josh Curran has been given permission to talk to other clubs. Haven’t really watched him closely I must admit. So I don’t have an opinion. Might be more edge player rather than the middles we need.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Josh Curran has been given permission to talk to other clubs. Haven’t really watched him closely I must admit. So I don’t have an opinion. Might be more edge player rather than the middles we need.
Perfect 13. Was leading the Dally M’s in terms of forwards very early in 2022 but got a few injuries

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBH I think our biggest headache when it comes to money is having too much. We have to spend 95% of the cap. With the quality on the market we will struggle to spend it all. TPJ’s money could buy both these guys plus another middle of similar ability.
100% it's an issue having to spend the cap as well having to fill the top 30 spots each year.
That is why we seem to purchase a few duds each year.
Pele and Nu Brown yo name a few were just bought to fill roster spots as there wasn't anyone decent available. That's why they were bought and moved on quickly . Probably see a few more such purchases this year .

Last edited:

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know what the NRLs stance is on front loading contracts?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You can still front load contracts and every club does it. Gus and co would be doing this more than most clubs considering we finally have a tonne of cap space and no one to spend it on.

So re-signings for players on upgraded deals like Burton, Preston, Kiraz, King etc or even new signings like Crichton would be the types of deals that we're likely front loading to make sure we pay the 97.5% of the cap for 2024 while giving us more cap space and flexibility for 2025, 2026 etc..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You can still front load contracts and every club does it. Gus and co would be doing this more than most clubs considering we finally have a tonne of cap space and no one to spend it on.

So re-signings for players on upgraded deals like Burton, Preston, Kiraz, King etc or even new signings like Crichton would be the types of deals that we're likely front loading to make sure we pay the 97.5% of the cap for 2024 while giving us more cap space and flexibility for 2025, 2026 etc..
The problem with front loading is that it can leave you with insufficient Cap space when a player/s that you want/need become unexpectedly available. The club would look pretty stupid and be greatly inconvenienced if we missed out on a player that we desperately needed. When that happens you end up asking an existing player to give up their contract to make the Cap space available and they don't have to say yes.

Plus there is no timing requirement on spending the required 97.5% of the Cap aside from the end of season compliance. You don't have to be at 97.5% at the start of the season or in the middle of the season. just by the end of season audit. Which won't happen for another month or so for last season.

Combining the above, it's not very smart to front load contracts before the pre season has even started. In fact it's not very smart to front load existing contracts anytime before 30th June. Being the date by which all of the Top 30 need to be registered with the NRL.

The NRL also won't allow "big" front loading so their effect is minimal anyway. How much is "big", the NRL decides that on a case by case basis depending on the reason for front loading. Cap compliance on its own isn't one of the acceptable reasons.

Always a Bulldog

SexBomb

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can think of one way around big front loads whilst reading that post alone.
Not going to publicly share it for obvious reasons :grinning: