Opinion Bulldogs Dodge Bullet With Brandon Smith

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So if no one can prove this is how we rort the system but the other clubs know about it, why haven't they all adopted this same ingenious process? Seems self defeating if you ask me.
You are smarter than that...Not every club is surrounded by multi millionaires !
All clubs have their ways but only few getaway with it...You know that !

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It can't be audited if the deals in question are cash or 'non-affiliated' 3rd party agreements.

The NRL already unsuccessfully tried this PR exercise through an article on all clubs TPAs but it only included registered TPAs and not UNTPAs.
All TPA's for players are supposed to be "non'affiliated" with the club they are contracted too, that's already in the rules, and they could be audited by the tax department as they could cross reference what the player submits versus what the company providing the TPA submits to the tax office. And you can't hide cash anymore, not in the sums that we supposedly provide on the side. Even if you reduced cash payments to less than the current limit of identifiable [10K], regular payments of that amount over the course of a season would be identifiable.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are smarter than that...Not every club is surrounded by multi millionaires !
All clubs have their ways but only few getaway with it...You know that !
Fair enough, but what about your club, it's sponsored by Arthur laundy who is worth about $500 mill, why hasn't your club adopted our undetectable rorting process? Or have they which accounts for your spending spree...cue X Files music.

Australian pub baron Arthur Laundy celebrates 80th birthday in style at lavish black-tie event | Daily Mail Online

The Laundy family have a pub and hotel portfolio worth about $500 million.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
@ASSASSIN we need to do something about this guy. He's spreading negativity and misinformation about our produce. Someone needs to come knocking at his door in the middle of the night.

*The front door so everyone is clear!
I'm leaving the limo at home tonight and taking out the black van with the "clean up" crew.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fair enough, but what about your club, it's sponsored by Arthur laundy who is worth about $500 mill, why hasn't your club adopted our undetectable rorting process? Or have they which accounts for your spending spree...cue X Files music.

Australian pub baron Arthur Laundy celebrates 80th birthday in style at lavish black-tie event | Daily Mail Online

The Laundy family have a pub and hotel portfolio worth about $500 million.
I ask you the question, how many Arthur Laundys does your club have ?
Arthur Laundy isn't a Nick Politis...where has he been until now ?
Riding in on his white horse with the Andersons & Co. In my opinion he is in it for himself and his son only !
I advise you to do your math on the cap, for now we are compliant and working hard on 2023 and beyond !
Although we might have to call uncle Nick for some tips :-)

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ask you the question, how many Arthur Laundys does your club have ?
Arthur Laundy isn't a Nick Politis...where has he been until now ?
Riding in on his white horse with the Andersons & Co. In my opinion he is in it for himself and his son only !
I advise you to do your math on the cap, for now we are compliant and working hard on 2023 and beyond !
Although we might have to call uncle Nick for some tips :-)
It's funny you say that, when Laundy's was announced as your clubs major sponsor he was quoted as saying he admires Nick and what he has done for the Roosters and wants to emulate it. Welcome aboard the rort train. :grinning:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's funny you say that, when Laundy's was announced as your clubs major sponsor he was quoted as saying he admires Nick and what he has done for the Roosters and wants to emulate it. Welcome aboard the rort train. :grinning:
People like this didn't become rich because they are unintelligent, it's quite the opposite.
Laundy told the Canterbury members and fans what they were desperate to hear, clearing the path to control the club through his son who had ambitions to be the CEO with the help of the financially desperate The Andersons !
Nick Politis has been supporting your club for many decades way before the salary cap introduction...
Where was Laundy ?
Like every other club we were on the rort train, they kicked us off it :fearscream:
You know all about it don't you :-)

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So if no one can prove this is how we rort the system but the other clubs know about it, why haven't they all adopted this same ingenious process? Seems self defeating if you ask me.
Some clubs have morals.

Of course some don't, but I know of at least 2 examples where other clubs have asked the same questions as the Chooks and gotten a "NO" response from the NRL. Whilst the Chooks have gotten a "YES" response to the same questions, one was before the Chooks asked and, amazingly, one was after.

A example, the Chooks promised SBW $250k but the NRL limited it to $150k so they were allowed to give the $100k difference to SBW's charity "Gold for Good" . Which he had already promised from his earnings. The NRL approved this and 2 other clubs complained based on them having been knocked back previously with a similar request.

The NRL also waived the rules around players being able to hold two contracts, specifically for SBW. Abdo said at the time was the start of an NRL push to change eligibility rules. The Wabbits applied for an registration exemption for Suaalii, which the NRL knocked back. But when the Chooks applied they granted it, yes, yes, we have all heard the spin about how fantastic the Chooks application was, backed by teachers, doctors and phycologists. But basically it was the same applications for an almost 18 year old to be allowed a registered NRL contract. Then after 5 games he gets a season ending ankle injury, doesn't say much for the doctors report that he was physically ready for NRL.

So far 3 similar exemptions have been granted to clubs by the NRL, all 3 of them have been for the Chooks. No one else has been granted an
exemption.

Always a Bulldog

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some clubs have morals.

Of course some don't, but I know of at least 2 examples where other clubs have asked the same questions as the Chooks and gotten a "NO" response from the NRL. Whilst the Chooks have gotten a "YES" response to the same questions, one was before the Chooks asked and, amazingly, one was after.

A example, the Chooks promised SBW $250k but the NRL limited it to $150k so they were allowed to give the $100k difference to SBW's charity "Gold for Good" . Which he had already promised from his earnings. The NRL approved this and 2 other clubs complained based on them having been knocked back previously with a similar request.

The NRL also waived the rules around players being able to hold two contracts, specifically for SBW. Abdo said at the time was the start of an NRL push to change eligibility rules. The Wabbits applied for an registration exemption for Suaalii, which the NRL knocked back. But when the Chooks applied they granted it, yes, yes, we have all heard the spin about how fantastic the Chooks application was, backed by teachers, doctors and phycologists. But basically it was the same applications for an almost 18 year old to be allowed a registered NRL contract. Then after 5 games he gets a season ending ankle injury, doesn't say much for the doctors report that he was physically ready for NRL.

So far 3 similar exemptions have been granted to clubs by the NRL, all 3 of them have been for the Chooks. No one else has been granted an
exemption.

Always a Bulldog
If you're going to try and re-write history to suit your agenda at least try and make it convincing. The NRL never knocked back south's application for Suaalii.

NRL 2021: The South Sydney Rabbitohs email they sent ARLC chairman Peter V’landys that paved the way for the Sydney Roosters to play Joseph Suaalii before his 18th birthday (smh.com.au)

"Fearing the Rabbitohs were on the verge of losing Suaalii to rugby union, under the assumption he had been promised an immediate position in the Wallabies squad and a ticket to the Olympics, Solly wrote to V’landys.

The Rabbitohs couldn’t understand how a few weeks, or months, would make any difference to his development – a sentiment the NRL agreed with on Monday.

At the time, V’landys made it clear to Solly he was open to the idea of Suaalii playing in 2021 before he turned 18. The Roosters got wind of it, sneaking under Solly’s guard by using V’landys’ pledge as leverage to lure Suaalii away from Redfern."

Sure we were given some leeway when SBW returned, but that was a publicity stunt imo as he added nothing. Not everything we do works, but we are innovative. And if you looking for clubs with morals, look no further than the bottom half of the ladder.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If you're going to try and re-write history to suit your agenda at least try and make it convincing. The NRL never knocked back south's application for Suaalii.

NRL 2021: The South Sydney Rabbitohs email they sent ARLC chairman Peter V’landys that paved the way for the Sydney Roosters to play Joseph Suaalii before his 18th birthday (smh.com.au)

"Fearing the Rabbitohs were on the verge of losing Suaalii to rugby union, under the assumption he had been promised an immediate position in the Wallabies squad and a ticket to the Olympics, Solly wrote to V’landys.

The Rabbitohs couldn’t understand how a few weeks, or months, would make any difference to his development – a sentiment the NRL agreed with on Monday.

At the time, V’landys made it clear to Solly he was open to the idea of Suaalii playing in 2021 before he turned 18. The Roosters got wind of it, sneaking under Solly’s guard by using V’landys’ pledge as leverage to lure Suaalii away from Redfern."
It all depends on who you choose to believe, from the NRL;

Joseph Suaalii is officially a Rooster, confirming his shift across Anzac Parade on a two-year deal that adds yet another chapter in the century-old rivalry between the foundation clubs. One of the most protracted teen contract negotiations came to a close on Tuesday when South Sydney released Suaalii via a one-sentence statement.

He is set to join the Bondi club's pre-season training shortly after the Tricolours paid a transfer fee – believed to be worth around $50,000 – to the Rabbitohs. The Roosters have already begun making enquiries with the NRL around potentially playing him before his 18th birthday next August.

Just slightly contradictory don't you think, if Souths had approval then how did the Chooks have any "leverage"?

While we are quoting, perhaps this one also doesn't suite your expectation bias;

“We’re not quite sure what the difference is between our dollars and somebody else’s dollars, because theoretically the figures are the same. Who knows?”

“For a start, we work to the salary cap, unlike other people who we won’t discuss. Those blokes who keep plucking magic players out of the sky. What’s the joke: it’s not a cap, it’s a sombrero, isn’t it?”

Sure we were given some leeway when SBW returned, but that was a publicity stunt imo as he added nothing. Not everything we do works, but we are innovative. And if you looking for clubs with morals, look no further than the bottom half of the ladder.
Just because it didn't work doesn't mean that it didn't happen, the NRL should have said no, twice over.

Always a Bulldog

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
I'm leaving the limo at home tonight and taking out the black van with the "clean up" crew.
As in the kind of clean up crew we saw in John Wick?

Love it!

Now I want to go and watch JW again.

"You stole my car and you killed my dog".

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It all depends on who you choose to believe, from the NRL;

Joseph Suaalii is officially a Rooster, confirming his shift across Anzac Parade on a two-year deal that adds yet another chapter in the century-old rivalry between the foundation clubs. One of the most protracted teen contract negotiations came to a close on Tuesday when South Sydney released Suaalii via a one-sentence statement.

He is set to join the Bondi club's pre-season training shortly after the Tricolours paid a transfer fee – believed to be worth around $50,000 – to the Rabbitohs. The Roosters have already begun making enquiries with the NRL around potentially playing him before his 18th birthday next August.

Just slightly contradictory don't you think, if Souths had approval then how did the Chooks have any "leverage"?
I never said souths had approval, I said they were not knocked back as you had stated previously. The NRL were open to allowing Suaalii to play before he was 18 for souths, all we did was leverage that allowing for our benefit and souths suffering.

While we are quoting, perhaps this one also doesn't suite your expectation bias;

“We’re not quite sure what the difference is between our dollars and somebody else’s dollars, because theoretically the figures are the same. Who knows?”

“For a start, we work to the salary cap, unlike other people who we won’t discuss. Those blokes who keep plucking magic players out of the sky. What’s the joke: it’s not a cap, it’s a sombrero, isn’t it?”
From the same article quoting Crowe.

“I have never negotiated a contract with the player at any time. The questions I ask are more about culture. They’re the conversations I have with players. When it comes down to the deal-making, I don’t have anything to do with it.” “For a start, we work to the salary cap..."

If Crowe has nothing to do with making the deals he would have no clue if they operate within the cap. And given the enormous amount of bullshit that souths came up with regarding their medical retirements of Sam Burgess and GI, they bend the cap rules with the best of us.

Just because it didn't work doesn't mean that it didn't happen, the NRL should have said no, twice over.

Always a Bulldog
The NRL wanted the publicity as much as we did and given that's all SBW generated at the time it was probably the right call.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
This whinging about the 12 months beforehand pisses me off;
WTF does it matter if BSmith signs an NRL Contract now and "saves his body" for 12 months.
OR
Signs a Heads of Agreement now and "saves his body" for 12 months.

The only difference with an NRL Contract is we all (fans, current team, new team, NRL etc) know about it, no secrets, so if he does slack off we all know why. Whereas with a HoA there is no obligation on him or his new club to tell anyone.

Always a Bulldog

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt Brandon will be going out on the field and giving a half assed effort to conserve his body, most players hit the pitch and don't give a second thought to what's going on inbthe background they go out and play footy "in the moment".

And if your a team that's signed someone who would do that, don't expect them to show up each week cause they are playing footy for the wrong reasons.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This whinging about the 12 months beforehand pisses me off;
WTF does it matter if BSmith signs an NRL Contract now and "saves his body" for 12 months.
OR
Signs a Heads of Agreement now and "saves his body" for 12 months.

The only difference with an NRL Contract is we all (fans, current team, new team, NRL etc) know about it, no secrets, so if he does slack off we all know why. Whereas with a HoA there is no obligation on him or his new club to tell anyone.

Always a Bulldog
It is written into contracts that the player is obligated under the playing agreement that he/she must....
Play and train to the best of his skill and ability at all times

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some clubs have morals.

exemption.

Always a Bulldog
What about Cronks mba at Harvard being 100% by the Roosters worth close to 200k