News Bulldogs didn’t get flogged but there was plenty of self-flaggelation

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs didn’t get flogged but there was plenty of self-flaggelation
May 26, 2019 TheLanDownUnder 0 Comments

The saying goes you can’t teach an old dog new tricks — well after Sunday’s game between the Canterbury Bulldogs and Melbourne Storm it appears you could extend that maxim to the use of tactics too.

Coach Dean Pay and his Bulldogs were always underdogs (sorry to labour the pun) up against it on Sunday playing the clinical Storm.

But Pay’s stubborn refusal to alter the game plan — or his team’s inability to improvise — gave the Bulldogs almost no hope of winning.

Bulldogs head coach Dean Pay.

Melbourne are a very very good team, but they do have a weakness and it is their right side defence.

The left edge has barely been beaten all season with Cameron Munster, Will Chambers and Josh Addo-Carr working together beautifully.R

The centre is stout thanks to Cam Smith marshalling his brigade of WWE enforcers with aplomb.

The right side however, that’s where you want to attack, as that is the side filled by Brodie Croft, a rotating cast of centres and Suliasi Vunivalu, a winger with almost as many inexplicable errors in his game as he does moments of supreme athleticism — and four times as many missed tackles as Addo-Carr.

Most teams try to limit Josh Addo-Carr’s access to the ball, Canterbury were feeding him.

You might think attacking the Storm right side would work for the Bulldogs too as Canterbury’s left is controlled by veteran playmaker Kieran Foran, the same Foran who cut the Titans to shreds just last week with three try assists.

Running off Foran’s shoulder is 2019 recruit and offload maniac Corey Harawira-Naera. Give them the ball and let them attack!

But no; Dean Pay’s playbook instead saw the Bulldogs play right again, and again and again — with Jack Cogger having almost twice the number of ball receipts as Foran.

Canterbury’s last tackle options consisted of Jack Cogger on the right putting up a kick not quite high enough to be a bomb and not quite deep enough to pin the Storm back. The kick was inevitably fielded comfortably by either Storm fullback Jahrome Hughes or winger Addo-Carr.

The play was so predictable that by the second half Hughes was able to set up camp down in the right corner well ahead of the fifth tackle.

And who could blame him, because from his camp he had the best seat in the house to watch Addo-Carr torch the Bulldogs via kick returns.

You may have heard of Addo-Carr, he’s pretty quick, and has a decent step. The Bulldogs certainly know it now because kicking to him so often allowed the speedster to run for 207 metres and score a solo 70 metre try.

Take a knee Kieran — we won’t be using you this week … Picture: AAP Image/Steve Christo

Hamstrung by salary cap woes not of his making, Pay is on somewhat of a hiding to nothing at the Bulldogs.

hhowever, when your game plan boils down to keeping the ball out of the hands of your best attacking player and trying your hardest to put the ball in the hands of the opposition’s best attacking player, the hiding is very much a matter of self-flagellation.

http://theland-downunder.com/2019/0...ed-but-there-was-plenty-of-self-flaggelation/

THIS is what I have been seeing. Finally a journo who actually knows football

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fox team were scratching their heads too at our tactics we all were Deano may be a nice bloke was a great player but great players don’t always make a great/ good coach

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nah it’s all good Pay was happy with the effort and if we just fixed the errors we would be in the top 4.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yet another article based on what most of us have been complaining about on the Kennel...

Until former greats of the club speak out, nothing will change. It pisses me off how the club and past players are so silent and seemingly content or resigned to the demise of a once great and powerful club.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe if Canberra pump us and put 60 on us we will see some change or will
The current board be in denial?
Wait they want consistency,
Consistently erratic and full of hopelessness .....
Yesterday’s performance really burned all hope for all us faithful.
Anyone out there that can coach ?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Wow the team coming last gets a beaten by the team coming 2nd and has a bad news story published against them. Talk about kicking a dog while it's down...

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
our attack is a disaster .. there appeared to be a game plan,, but it was a putrid one.. i just cant tolerate our attack anymore .. its unbearable to watch..

all the errors yesterday were as a result of our disjointed attack..

another terrible game from the skipper also..

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
The fact we lost to the storm isn’t the issue to those saying top team beat bottom team. The issue is the pathetic effort and just how Fucking poor it was done. Literally anyone who has watched the storm knows vunivalu has major flaws. Addo Carr is safe and a major attacking force. To literally feed him ball all game with the most nit attacking uncontested “bombs” is completely insane and says alot

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a good effort by the boys, if we'd scored more points than the storm, i reckon we could have won! But the effort was fantastic....

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don’t be surprised if the Walker brothers are approached to coach, or potentially Walters or griffin. All 3 coaches could do something with this team, I have been a pay fan but I’ve lost out hope, there’s no excuse for the way we’ve been playing it’s just dumb ass footy , really dissatisfaction is the best word for us fans ..

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Self flaggelation or self stimulation.. there seems to be alot of mutual Jacking Off going on behind the scenes..

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What are the other coaches saying to Pay? Are they all yes men. Someone had to say what a dumb fucking plan Dean otherwise they all suck.

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
With Des we had Desball and with Pay we have Moneyball

Wahesh

Reaction score
I just wish people would STFU about Pay. He's doing the best job possible with what he's got. Put Bellamy of Bennett at Belmore and the mess would still be there FFS.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just wish people would STFU about Pay. He's doing the best job possible with what he's got. Put Bellamy of Bennett at Belmore and the mess would still be there FFS.
Do you really think that game plan that was dished up yesterday is Pay doing the best possible job?

This team isn't playing to its potential, no where near it.

Doomsdaydog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No doubt Pay is trying his best, but the truth is that he is very limited as a coach no matter the roster he has

Pay needs to be relieved of his duties along with another 6 current squad members

Wahesh

Reaction score
No doubt Pay is trying his best, but the truth is that he is very limited as a coach no matter the roster he has

Pay needs to be relieved of his duties along with another 6 current squad members
I don't think any coach can coach the current team to success, however Pay deserves to be given a chance to recruit. If he doesn't succeed in recruiting IN 2020 FOR 2021, then I say don't re--sign him.