News Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett reveals his plans for 2022

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
it is more about the defensive structures that they have in place and being able to trust those structures. Most teams these days are a sliding defence with the emphasis of not getting beat on the inside shoulder and the defender not going past the ball.
Rules of the game influence the defence style that is used, players get taught how to from junior days...
Some never learn !

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rules of the game influence the defence style that is used, players get taught how to from junior days...
Some never learn !
The extra issue for the dogs recent years was that the backline was slow and individuals didnt have the speed or agility to adjust or fix errors - Hopoate and Lewis could tackle if players ran at them but once there was hesitation panic set in - and breaks made

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good that Barrett made an effort to mention Wakeham first. I don't necessarily think that means he's first preference at 7, just that he's acknowledging his efforts in the pre season so far. I'd bet my house on Averillo starting round 1 but I've always been of the opinion that a Wakeham playing at his absolute peak is the best suited halves partner to Burton.

I still don't know what to make of the Kikau signing tbh. Barrett calling him a 'luxury' is pretty much exactly how I feel. I rate him but have questions on whether that was the wisest use of salary cap space, especially given the recent decision around Cotric. I'm really curious to find out if he was on our radar at all before Gus joined. Feels like a 'Gus flexing' type signing but we'll see. Anyway, I definitely trust Gus more on the recruitment front than I do Barrett.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The extra issue for the dogs recent years was that the backline was slow and individuals didnt have the speed or agility to adjust or fix errors - Hopoate and Lewis could tackle if players ran at them but once there was hesitation panic set in - and breaks made
Agree, it bring us back to confidence in the player next to you !
A very important point, when you attack well and scoring points it considerably reliefs the pressure of the defence.
We had the worst attack in the comp, that's saying something !

Last edited:

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I still don't know what to make of the Kikau signing tbh. Barrett calling him a 'luxury' is pretty much exactly how I feel. I rate him but have questions on whether that was the wisest use of salary cap space, especially given the recent decision around Cotric. I'm really curious to find out if he was on our radar at all before Gus joined. Feels like a 'Gus flexing' type signing but we'll see. Anyway, I definitely trust Gus more on the recruitment front than I do Barrett.
Gus has a lot of pull but he made a lot of bad deals at Penrith, they are still paying Campbell-Gillard and Waqa Blake to play for Parra, he signed Moylan on a long term deal and he was gone in 6 months, same with Cartwright I think.

Kikau was a signing for the casual fans, I don’t think he will see out the 4 years.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Wakeham training this year? Apparently he has come back with a new attitude - has that been reflected on the paddock?

It's surprising to see him being mentioned as a possibility for the 7 jersey as he looked so lethargic last year. I don't really care who plays 7 but I would have thought Avo and BBO would have been miles ahead of Wakeman based on his performances last year. To me he just looks way too slow to play in the halves (and he doesn't seem to have the other attributes a good 7 needs to make up for his lack of pace)
I agree mate. Avo and BBO looked ripped like so physically fit and we know they are skillful.

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus has a lot of pull but he made a lot of bad deals at Penrith, they are still paying Campbell-Gillard and Waqa Blake to play for Parra, he signed Moylan on a long term deal and he was gone in 6 months, same with Cartwright I think.

Kikau was a signing for the casual fans, I don’t think he will see out the 4 years.
Yeah I think you're on the mark here but we'll see. That's the thing about bringing Gus in, you give him the power to make these calls and hope he makes more good than bad. All that being said, I still think he's the man to get us out of this and you can't properly judge any of these decisions until we're at least 1-2 years into it.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah I think you're on the mark here but we'll see. That's the thing about bringing Gus in, you give him the power to make these calls and hope he makes more good than bad. All that being said, I still think he's the man to get us out of this and you can't properly judge any of these decisions until we're at least 1-2 years into it.
He’s the right man for sure and he needs full control now but will have to be reigned in over time, he had too much power towards the end at Penrith.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Players rate Kikau as one of the best backrowers in the game, just his presence alone is enough to threaten the opposition. Gus does seem to let his feelings towards players cloud his judgement though, or it at least feels that way. I remember him rubbing one out on 9 when Blake was first playing in the NRL and then all of a sudden he ends up with a ridiculous long-term contract.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The problem at the Panties was the off field dramas / behaviors that led to team disharmony.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I lean the other way
Wakeham & BBO both equally talented young halves, BBO has a plus about his toughness !
Gus and literally every human on the planet knows we need a half,
Why do I get the feeling when Gus said we will develop our own he meant one of the above two ?
Another point, if he is confident about Flanagan or Averillo why did we get the Bears half ?
I believe 90% the decision is made...Gus knows !!!
I rate bbo bigtime just feel averillo may be given first crack due to being a starter last year i do feel with wakeham/bbo /averillo one of them will be our long term half with the quality we now have ,time will tell

BondiBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m still unsure why we didn’t court Reynolds. Rumor has it he was willing to stay in Sydney (Souths) for 600k. I find it hard to believe a good negotiated could not have landed him for around that sum. He only had to go up the road. Was arguably the second best halfback in the comp last year and would have complimented Burton perfectly. Seems a tad strange.

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good that Barrett made an effort to mention Wakeham first. I don't necessarily think that means he's first preference at 7, just that he's acknowledging his efforts in the pre season so far. I'd bet my house on Averillo starting round 1 but I've always been of the opinion that a Wakeham playing at his absolute peak is the best suited halves partner to Burton.

It is very likely that Kikau comes in for Thompson - I can't see how we can afford a pack with TPJ, Thompson and Kikau - that's around 25% of our cap right there! Whilst they are all contracted for 23 either TPJ or Thompson will need to go and it's very unlikely it will be TPJ.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
It is very likely that Kikau comes in for Thompson - I can't see how we can afford a pack with TPJ, Thompson and Kikau - that's around 25% of our cap right there! Whilst they are all contracted for 23 either TPJ or Thompson will need to go and it's very unlikely it will be TPJ.
WTF, we are paying TPJ, Thomson & Kikau the same as the Chooks are paying JWH, Radley and Crichton, the same as the Wabbits are paying Arrow, TBurgess and Murray, the same as Melbourne are paying NAS (Hahahahaha), Bromwich and Kaufusi, the same as Manly are paying Aloiai, JTrobojevic and Taupau etc etc. You want a good pack, you need 3 core forwards on those levels of contract.

Always a Bulldog

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Wakeham training this year? Apparently he has come back with a new attitude - has that been reflected on the paddock?

It's surprising to see him being mentioned as a possibility for the 7 jersey as he looked so lethargic last year. I don't really care who plays 7 but I would have thought Avo and BBO would have been miles ahead of Wakeman based on his performances last year. To me he just looks way too slow to play in the halves (and he doesn't seem to have the other attributes a good 7 needs to make up for his lack of pace)
Often last tackle he did nothing with the ball just pass it on going through the motions, disappointing. A miracle must have happened between now and then.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Early off season reports I was told he was very impressive, now we are in January and TBaz confirmed what I have heard.
Coming through the grades under the guidance of our former coaching staff left a lot of negative consequences on the young players, some more than others.
Maybe it's time for him to wake up and come back to life...Just maybe for now :-)

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Early off season reports I was told he was very impressive, now we are in January and TBaz confirmed what I have heard.
Coming through the grades under the guidance of our former coaching staff left a lot of negative consequences on the young players, some more than others.
Maybe it's time for him to wake up and come back to life...Just maybe for now :-)
How he played in jun footy to open age was strikingy different - jun he was busy aggressive dominant didnt kick much - sen footy he just seem to float around

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was hardly a revealing of the plans, he has really just stated what most of us already know