News Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett reveals his plans for 2022

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree. The Dogs also had a new coach managing a shit roster with no GM. So doing 2 jobs to make year one a complete shit show. Let’s see what both players and coach do this year with the right support in place and some fresh faces.
Last year was without doubt the hardest year the NRLol has ever endured. It was difficult for everyone involved in the game, and with s7ch a poor squad and no reserve grade, we were destined to be a major disapointment. Its just the way it was.

Reactions: J_B

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Early off season reports I was told he was very impressive, now we are in January and TBaz confirmed what I have heard.
Coming through the grades under the guidance of our former coaching staff left a lot of negative consequences on the young players, some more than others.
Maybe it's time for him to wake up and come back to life...Just maybe for now :-)
And he looked really good late in the year when our pack was actually going forward

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
How he played in jun footy to open age was strikingy different - jun he was busy aggressive dominant didnt kick much - sen footy he just seem to float around
It's common some young players when they reach seniors level they tend to loose interest or control, it becomes the duty of the coaching team to keep them motivated and interested.
The rest is up to the individual !

Reactions: ATT

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And he looked really good late in the year when our pack was actually going forward
One of the golden rules, you must go forward before you go sideways.
On the other hand, the halfback directs the forwards into the opposition's defence weakness...Two way street !

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
when our forwards dominated in the last game, averillo was best player on the park. All halves need momentum to work off
Nah, the good ones Change momentum. Be it a kick, a kick chase, change of direction, something. I like him a lot, but won’t get excited over flogging a tigers side who had clocked off for the year. He really needs aggression in his game, a sense he belongs in the team as a leader. I’m just hoping he gets it with experience

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good that Barrett made an effort to mention Wakeham first. I don't necessarily think that means he's first preference at 7, just that he's acknowledging his efforts in the pre season so far. I'd bet my house on Averillo starting round 1 but I've always been of the opinion that a Wakeham playing at his absolute peak is the best suited halves partner to Burton.

I still don't know what to make of the Kikau signing tbh. Barrett calling him a 'luxury' is pretty much exactly how I feel. I rate him but have questions on whether that was the wisest use of salary cap space, especially given the recent decision around Cotric. I'm really curious to find out if he was on our radar at all before Gus joined. Feels like a 'Gus flexing' type signing but we'll see. Anyway, I definitely trust Gus more on the recruitment front than I do Barrett.
Let’s not forget… this time last year, T Baz spoke highly of Renouf T & Ogden! Both are gooooone

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have always believed that BBO is the most talented we have seen.
However, there is good reports about Josh Ralph playing in the 7.
Cant have to many Josh's in the team.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This year is his year to shine if the halfback role isn’t solidified by wakeham or averillo he will get a run of games I’m sure. His a great utility player good kicking game to plays eyes up footy.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
That comment about josh Ralph just proves you have no idea
He played massey cup at my club last year

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I doubt he even knew he existed before we signed him :tearsofjoy:
Yep. Just makes up shit this bloke. There's been no reports about Josh Ralph at all (media or else) let alone something indicating a sub par rookie will somehow beat 4 others halves into the NRL

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“Brandon Wakeham has come back in a good shape with a totally different attitude.”
Makes you wonder what his attitude was the last few seasons. Hope Brandon can maintain the new motivation and reach his potential. A cheeky half back who can back up the chat and perform would be gold.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
“Brandon Wakeham has come back in a good shape with a totally different attitude.”
Makes you wonder what his attitude was the last few seasons. Hope Brandon can maintain the new motivation and reach his potential. A cheeky half back who can back up the chat and perform would be gold.
Maybe he's been reminded that this is the last year of his contract with us, unlikely that he's being inundated with offers from other clubs and as a result this is make or break year for him. If he wants to stay in the NRL then he has to train like an NRL player, put in the hard yards every single day and not cruise along on his natural ability.

Always a Bulldog

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t like Thompson’s chances of being here in 23, if that’s the case we’ll have Vaughan (if he’s resigned) in the twilight of his career and have to move Pangai to the middle with Patolo , I just don’t think 800k on Kikau is smart money
considering we're weak at 7 and 1, i'd rather 800k went there instead of a back rower 100%

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep somehow we have to over achieve at 7 hopefully we can, at 9 we will have to be happy with serviceable we're not STRONG right now in either position, someone has to rise up can they?..idk.
9's sorted, just have to wait another year. 7 is the worry and potentially 1