Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib says Des Hasler will be coach next season, slams club legend Steve Mortime

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This little mess has festered for a while now. I am so over all the in fighting and constant posturing by all parties concerned. If they are really focussed on doing something positive and in the best interests of all, well they have got it oh so wrong up to this point. We have been a basket case for the last few months, starting with the Cowboys game where we had our asses handed to us and showed just how far off being a real threat we were, beaten 36-0. Round 21 we just beat a St George side 13-10 who finished 11th and with the second worst defence and the third worst attack. Round 22 played the Knights who were wooden spooners only putting that game to bed towards the end 28-14. Knights had been comprehensively whipped by teams below us on the ladder. Round 23 Just beat the Eagles 20-16, they finished 13th. Round 24 beaten by the Broncos 20-10. Round 25 again beaten by the Cowboys at Belmore. Round 26 beaten by Rabbitohs 28-10 who had a season they would rather forget. Capitulated to Penrith in the first week of the semis performing for the first twenty minutes and then offering nothing. The body language of the players on that particular day was atrocious and they could actually be seen verballing each other and not in a good or positive way.

We had ample opportunity thanks to other results during the last few weeks of the competition to cement a position higher on the table than what we did ;but guess what? We blew it, we blew it because we played the same way, week in week out. We played...the Des way...under the radar? Underachieved is more like it. I reckon with our out of sort performances it would have made little difference where we finished ,except we may have gone out of the semis a little bit later.

Statistics mean little when many interpret them as something they are not. Hit ups, metres carried, completions mean little when positive and entertaining football does not result from them. So what if we had the top two forwards for metres made. That came about because they got the ball more often than our halves and in doing so stifled and retarded our attack rather than benefiting it. Completions mean little when nothing positive comes of them. If you want to blame the players for sticking to the coaches orders and playing exactly as he commanded yet still bowed out of the comp early you then need to ask about whether or not those tactics actually worked.

Wait until they drop the interchange to 6 and see how our forwards playing halves roles really go. Every other team has our number, knowing exactly what your opponent is going to do on tackles 1-6 makes it so easy to counteract it and that is exactly what happened. If you looked at THAT set in the Cowboys game it showed just how clueless we really were. All of this comes down to the coach because that is the way he directed the team to play.

If Hasler stays, will he see fit to change his outlook on things and adjust his tactics so that they do work? Will the backing of the board be on the proviso that he does change or will they just let him coach his way, the way he has for the last five years?

Look at the comments of Dib;

"In rugby league money can buy you many things to give your team an edge. Money can buy you players, money can buy you a coach, money can buy you equipment and facilities," Dib said.

"It cannot however buy stability and I would like to think this stability will be our secret weapon heading into the 2016 season.
We certainly spent the money on all those things but it got us what? A top 8 finish at number 7 and sudden death week one. At least we have been consistent and stable in that particular stat. We spent more money than any other club on centre of excellence, equipment and support staff and coach. We had the best of the best but it mattered for little. We once again limped into the semis due to the fact that the bottom eight teams were just a bit worse than us. If Ray Dib thinks stability is the fact we have had the same coach for the last 5 years but still not won a Premiership, and consistently finished in the bottom four of the eight then his thinking is flawed. No prizes for second place but as long as we have that secret weapon of stability we shall be okay.

First season was a surprise, minor premiership but no premiership title.Then we finished 6/7/5/7 respectively. Great stats for the coach in getting us there and to two GF's but still no title. We should have improved each year but that did not happen.

This year we had; Hoppa and no play on Sunday, meaning reshuffles and playing a bloke just back from injury in one of the most crucial positions on the field, boring footy, players contract negotiations taking forever, no wins at Belmore, coach giving the same talk over and over about completions, an obviously clueless coach as he could not see that he needed to alter his tactics depending on who we played. Great stable season and certainly under the radar.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love Turvey and would prefer to see des gone main reason isn't our performance although that pisses me off to no end but the biggest issue is IMO is our inability to attract or develop players this will have ramifications long term ... I hate that Mortimer has aired our dirty laundry no need for it could have waited till Friday if the viewpoint is as unanimous as he made it seem instead we now have conflict and instability which makes retaining and recruiting players even more difficult

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Top 8, Top 8.......this is all we hear. This is the main defence for Hasler.....teams that win less that 50% make the top 8......next

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Without having any real idea cbb, my guess is that there is obviously pretty serious division even at board level otherwise the extention would have been ratified by now. Im guessing the meeting will be pretty full on and some forthright opinions entered into. How many on the board? 7? If so i reckon a 4-3 vote one way or the other. I think the best possible outcome for the pro hasler faction is a confirmation that he is coaching next year with things to be re-evaluated on performance around 10 rounds in. Lets tank those games!
Sounds pretty spot on. It will be a real shame if he's given until round 10. We'll have to go thru the process of finding a new coach and that person will likely be tied up with an existing club. By the time they're at the club all the off contract talent will be signed up and we're in for more pain in 2018. Bad spot we're in atm

Reaction score
This little mess has festered for a while now. I am so over all the in fighting and constant posturing by all parties concerned. If they are really focussed on doing something positive and in the best interests of all, well they have got it oh so wrong up to this point. We have been a basket case for the last few months, starting with the Cowboys game where we had our asses handed to us and showed just how far off being a real threat we were, beaten 36-0. Round 21 we just beat a St George side 13-10 who finished 11th and with the second worst defence and the third worst attack. Round 22 played the Knights who were wooden spooners only putting that game to bed towards the end 28-14. Knights had been comprehensively whipped by teams below us on the ladder. Round 23 Just beat the Eagles 20-16, they finished 13th. Round 24 beaten by the Broncos 20-10. Round 25 again beaten by the Cowboys at Belmore. Round 26 beaten by Rabbitohs 28-10 who had a season they would rather forget. Capitulated to Penrith in the first week of the semis performing for the first twenty minutes and then offering nothing. The body language of the players on that particular day was atrocious and they could actually be seen verballing each other and not in a good or positive way.

We had ample opportunity thanks to other results during the last few weeks of the competition to cement a position higher on the table than what we did ;but guess what? We blew it, we blew it because we played the same way, week in week out. We played...the Des way...under the radar? Underachieved is more like it. I reckon with our out of sort performances it would have made little difference where we finished ,except we may have gone out of the semis a little bit later.

Statistics mean little when many interpret them as something they are not. Hit ups, metres carried, completions mean little when positive and entertaining football does not result from them. So what if we had the top two forwards for metres made. That came about because they got the ball more often than our halves and in doing so stifled and retarded our attack rather than benefiting it. Completions mean little when nothing positive comes of them. If you want to blame the players for sticking to the coaches orders and playing exactly as he commanded yet still bowed out of the comp early you then need to ask about whether or not those tactics actually worked.

Wait until they drop the interchange to 6 and see how our forwards playing halves roles really go. Every other team has our number, knowing exactly what your opponent is going to do on tackles 1-6 makes it so easy to counteract it and that is exactly what happened. If you looked at THAT set in the Cowboys game it showed just how clueless we really were. All of this comes down to the coach because that is the way he directed the team to play.

If Hasler stays, will he see fit to change his outlook on things and adjust his tactics so that they do work? Will the backing of the board be on the proviso that he does change or will they just let him coach his way, the way he has for the last five years?

Look at the comments of Dib;

We certainly spent the money on all those things but it got us what? A top 8 finish at number 7 and sudden death week one. At least we have been consistent and stable in that particular stat. We spent more money than any other club on centre of excellence, equipment and support staff and coach. We had the best of the best but it mattered for little. We once again limped into the semis due to the fact that the bottom eight teams were just a bit worse than us. If Ray Dib thinks stability is the fact we have had the same coach for the last 5 years but still not won a Premiership, and consistently finished in the bottom four of the eight then his thinking is flawed. No prizes for second place but as long as we have that secret weapon of stability we shall be okay.

First season was a surprise, minor premiership but no premiership title.Then we finished 6/7/5/7 respectively. Great stats for the coach in getting us there and to two GF's but still no title. We should have improved each year but that did not happen.

This year we had; Hoppa and no play on Sunday, meaning reshuffles and playing a bloke just back from injury in one of the most crucial positions on the field, boring footy, players contract negotiations taking forever, no wins at Belmore, coach giving the same talk over and over about completions, an obviously clueless coach as he could not see that he needed to alter his tactics depending on who we played. Great stable season and certainly under the radar.
a season to remember for sure

Reaction score
Sounds pretty spot on. It will be a real shame if he's given until round 10. We'll have to go thru the process of finding a new coach and that person will likely be tied up with an existing club. By the time they're at the club all the off contract talent will be signed up and we're in for more pain in 2018. Bad spot we're in atm
i believe that's why Turvey spoke out of class, he could see the urgency of ensuring we didn't miss out for 2018

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And so he should be. Hasler has maintained success since the beginning. Any imbecile asking for his sacking should leave our club or stop watching footy. Just read the comments of other clubs fans since the rumours. All of them are laughing at us.
Yeah supporters of other clubs don't watch most of our games do they ?. Any one who watches them and what Des to remain doing that fucking shit is a complete IMBECILE !!!!

Reactions: GDR

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Dib said he "absolutely" guaranteed Hasler will be coach next season.

Yeh... I remember when they said that about Jim before they told him to go fuck himself when Des walked out of Manly into Belmore.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
CANTERBURY chairman Ray Dib has guaranteed Des Hasler will be head coach next season and plans to censure club legend Steve Mortimer for saying the Bulldogs were “losing our DNA’’.

Some iron-willed directors want to extend Hasler’s contract to the end of 2019, while others want Hasler gone.

The drama will come to a head at a 4pm board on Friday as the club attempts to resolve an issue that has split the ‘family club’.

Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib has given his backing to Des Hasler. Pic: Gregg Porteous.

Dib was upset that Mortimer broke ranks to publicly to claim he would stand down as a director should the club re-sign Hasler.

“He was out of order,” Dib said.

Hasler declined to comment on Thursday. The Daily Telegraph understands he wouldn’t accept an extension offer that carried stipulations about finishing in the top four each season. Four members of Hasler’s staff have already been forced out.

The Daily Telegraph understands Dib wants to re-sign Hasler but other directors, including Mortimer, want the coach to quit.

“We’ve got unfinished business,” Dib told The Daily Telegraph. “I would like to see Des there for at least 2017, absolutely, if not longer.”

Dib refused to admit the contract dispute had become messy.

“When you say messy, what are you referring to?”

Dib was then told the contract to Hasler was offered, agreed on and then withdrawn after the season. The contract had even made it to Hasler’s lawyers.

The club’s board are split on whether Des should pack his bags. Pic: Adam Yip.

“I understand what you are saying but, to be fair, the coach is the most important employee of any club. You know what we’re doing? The board are having robust discussions. We will consider the options,” Dib said.

On Friday Dib will speak with Mortimer, who has threatened to walk away from his position if Hasler is handed a new contract.

“I think he has spoken out of order,” Dib said.

“I respect him as a passionate Hall of Famer of our club. He is passionate bloke. I don’t know why (he said it) but I’ll be catching up with him as well. I just need to hear his reasons and get some clarity over some of his comments. I haven’t seen the newspapers but I have heard a lot of rumours and heard what’s been said.”

Dib, who returned from a brief overseas trip on Thursday, has been in constant contact with Hasler.

Dib said he “absolutely’’ guaranteed Hasler will be coach next season.

“Des will be there for 2017, regardless, he will be there,’’ Dib said. “He is contracted. I would like to see Des there for at least 2017, absolutely, if not longer.

“(This) is a meeting for me to get up to speed with negotiations. I have been away. This was a meeting that was pre-planned so we will be updated by Raelene (Castle, CEO) about how things are progressing with Des and his management.

”Turvs” was out of order, according to Dib.

“He is a great coach but we haven’t had the success we wanted this year. We are disappointed in this year, so is Des and the players. No questions about that. We’ve got unfinished business, mate.

“But one thing I want to make very clear, the club is bigger than anyone. My motto is very simple, the club comes first, the team comes second, individuals come third, including Ray Dib, Des Hasler, Raelene Castle and the board. That’s the way I base my decisions and encourage board decisions — based on that motto.”

Dib was unwilling to guarantee Hasler’s two-year extension.

“I don’t know where the contract negotiations are up to. There has been a lot of talk and a lot of different negotiations that are continuing so I will get up-to-date.’’

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r/news-story/98fd185e6ad8acb9cbe29c60d06579f2

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No wonder we're in the situation we are with a fuckwit like Dib as chairman

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Just gunna hunt Des across time lines and be like

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You sad pathetic **** rash....

Isn't it time to go fuck your Uncle you inbred ****, or is it your husbands turn?

Why are you obsessed with me? Am I a long lost relative or something?

AAAHHH thats better, I prefer you as a **** because you sure are a shit comedian LOL I thought you could do better than that, obsessed? Naaaa.... just another fellow Doggies supporter. Like I said to Boxer earlier its been a ruff week, try sucking on an icy cold Beer for an hour like I am right now.
If that don't work then try throwing me some more profanities if that makes you feel better.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Imbecile, aye?
"Other fans" watch 1 or 2 Dogs games a year....... we watch at least 24. "Other fans" clearly know better.
That's the phenomenon. The results haven't been the worst but the system, structures and junior development has been that bad, that we want him gone. It's a really strange feeling that only true supporters would understand.

The 2nd Spitter

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No wonder we're in the situation we are with a fuckwit like Dib as chairman
On the positive side, he's stuck his neck out now. After Des gives another repeat performance in 2017, it will be Dib's head, Des' head and Raelene's head all on the chopping block.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why not sack Dymock? He was involved too, not sure what he did though.

Status
Not open for further replies.