News Bulldogs-bound Penrith playmaker Matt Burton feels weight off his shoulders after contract saga added ‘pressure' (via Daily Telegraph)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think you take away from Burton's strengths with having him have to worry about the responsibilities a halfback has. I think he's going to play his best footy just focusing on himself individually and chipping in when he sees an opportunity. That doesn't mean he won't crossover and do a bit both just not sure it's the best thing to do to have him being the main guy to worry about it.
We need what's best for the team, not what's best for Burton. If Baz is going to persist with this style and Flanagan can't do his job then someone is going to have to replace him, and right now Burton is the best option.

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Could we try Burton at 7, build Flanno into a 9 with Averillo 6 in trials next year Topine my pick for 13 and DWZ at 1 if we dont sign another spine player next year.
For me its our front row desperately needing recruitment so grab some metre eating ones that get off the back fence and play a fast game.. Thompson will thrive in this team with the extra support.
Atoni,Thompson and Hetherington.
RFM and Elliot stay.

Let the current other forwards warm benches or play NSW cup elsewhere.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't see your point? Our halfback plays on the ball and has plenty of opportunities to run, just like Cleary at Penrith. If Flanagan is going to continue being a bum then I'd happily slot Burton in at halfback over him.
Burton was always going to be the halfback. Even if he wears number 6. This is regardless of Flanagan shitting the bed. This is what I was saying all along. Burton is the dominant half and playmaker who does all of the kicking and has all of the polish/creativity... Flanagan, Averillo or whoever else will be a distant second fiddle.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Burton was always going to be the halfback. Even if he wears number 6. This is regardless of Flanagan shitting the bed. This is what I was saying all along. Burton is the dominant half and playmaker who does all of the kicking and has all of the polish/creativity... Flanagan, Averillo or whoever else will be a distant second fiddle.
No, he isn't. Baz made it very clear what he wanted when he started the Cleary comparisons with Flanagan. Flanagan is in the Cleary role and Burton in the Luai role.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see your point? Our halfback plays on the ball and has plenty of opportunities to run, just like Cleary at Penrith. If Flanagan is going to continue being a bum then I'd happily slot Burton in at halfback over him.
Flanagan is done... I really can not see him improve, if his game didn’t improve with all the stars he had playing at roosters what makes any one think he will play better.... did you see how many opportunities he has had in the broncos and cows game and he pretty much fucked all of them up. He isn’t a halfbacks arsehole... I didn’t rate him when we signed him and now I know why... all the bs talk he has yapping about pre season has been crushed. He is beyond rubbish

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is a nothing story. We have heard Burton say this before & this is a re-hash just to get more clicks & sell papers.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Fkn lol @ the media. I have been saying this for about 6 weeks now, basically straight from Burts and it just makes the news now?

Fkn slow ***** can't come up with new bullshit so keep pushing old news.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No, he isn't. Baz made it very clear what he wanted when he started the Cleary comparisons with Flanagan. Flanagan is in the Cleary role and Burton in the Luai role.
Think for a second Marley.. Why on earth would Burton take a back seat to Flanagan when he's twenty times the player and Burton plays the dominant role when Cleary is out even with Luai there?

You might have plenty of doubts about Baz and rightly so but he's not that dumb.. Burton will be the dominant playmaker. That much is guaranteed.