News Bulldogs-bound Lafai to become next Dragon to depart

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a BACKWARDS step!

WE ARE GETTING THE SPOON with or without Lafai!

we didn’t sign Reynolds (which I agree with) why would we sign someone who was of so much less value to us on the field than him.

this just shows the board for what they are. No ambition, no judgement, no football ounce, just a desperation filled bunch of people.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't buy the better than what we have argument. So what? Doesn't mean Lafai is any good himself...

He's been in and out of FG for several years on struggling teams. He's not the answer. Scout someone with some actual potential for once. Fuck this small minded mentality they have.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is a BACKWARDS step!

WE ARE GETTING THE SPOON with or without Lafai!

we didn’t sign Reynolds (which I agree with) why would we sign someone who was of so much less value to us on the field than him.

this just shows the board for what they are. No ambition, no judgement, no football ounce, just a desperation filled bunch of people.
Understand the concern but to be a chance of signing anyone decent we need to start performing.

Yes. Getting a new coach will help to a degree but it needs to be the right move and the right coach. Bringing in someone like Barrett ... would be a step back imo.

Until we get that new coach we need to get some fresh blood in to stablise the boat somewhat. Unfortunately Lafai is that type of player. Stop gap.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Lafai (21 Games)
Tries: 2
Try Assists: 5
Line Breaks: 5
Line Break Assists: 6
Tackle Breaks: 43
Miss Tackles: 27*
Offloads: 34*
Errors: 14*
Metres Gained: 93m/game
Penalties Conceded: 7

Hopoate (21 Games)
Tries: 5*
Try Assists: 6*
Line Breaks: 6*
Tackle Breaks: 71*
Miss Tackles: 34
Offloads: 31
Errors: 17
Metres Gained: 146m/game*

Yikes.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Understand the concern but to be a chance of signing anyone decent we need to start performing.

Yes. Getting a new coach will help to a degree but it needs to be the right move and the right coach. Bringing in someone like Barrett ... would be a step back imo.

Until we get that new coach we need to get some fresh blood in to stablise the boat somewhat. Unfortunately Lafai is that type of player. Stop gap.
Why do we have to keep signing stop gaps? We've had three seasons of stop gap players. And they're not making us competitive so what's the point?

Sign someone who might actually have a future. Not someone who'll be playing in the ESL or Q Cup next season.

People forget that Lafai makes as many errors as DWZ and has as many brain explosions as Reimis. There's a reason why the 12th placed team don't want him.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why do we have to keep signing stop gaps? We've had three seasons of stop gap players. And they're not making us competitive so what's the point?

Sign someone who might actually have a future. Not someone who'll be playing in the ESL or Q Cup next season.

People forget that Lafai makes as many errors as DWZ and has as many brain explosions as Reimis. There's a reason why the 12th placed team don't want him.
Agree with you but do you think we're able to sign that top player right now for the rest of the season? Hopefully we bring in Cotric at the end of the season. That's a huge step forward. But until then we've got no centres. Surely bringing in Lafai will go some way to adding at least something to the backline?

Packstar

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lafai (21 Games)

Hopoate (21 Games)

Yikes.
Its 2020 genius

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree with you but do you think we're able to sign that top player right now for the rest of the season? Hopefully we bring in Cotric at the end of the season. That's a huge step forward. But until then we've got no centres. Surely bringing in Lafai will go some way to adding at least something to the backline?
No I don't. But I wouldn't be wasting a squad spot or even entertain the notion of signing Lafai.

Almost none of the players outside every teams top 17 are playing footy at all this season and would be desperate for a mid season move and that's the best they can do?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lafai (21 Games)

Hopoate (21 Games)

Yikes.
Are you saying that Lafai is as good a centre as Hoppa?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Are you saying that Lafai is as good a centre as Hoppa?
No and we shouldn't be signing him. I can see the reason why for one year but even then I wouldn't. If you gathered something differently from the stats you can make up your own opinion. Eye test is also important.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No I don't. But I wouldn't be wasting a squad spot or even entertain the notion of signing Lafai.

Almost none of the players outside every teams top 17 are playing footy at all this season and would be desperate for a mid season move and that's the best they can do?
Fair point.

Name me those players who you think are attainable? Not having a dig mate as I honestly don't know, and would love to see a youngster coming in. Maybe another Saint outside back for example?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No and we shouldn't be signing him. I can see the reason why for one year but even then I wouldn't.
Who would you bring in mate as we need a centre. And a winger. And a full back. And a half. And a 5/8. And a backrower. And a hooker. And a prop.

But let's start with the centre

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Who would you bring in mate as we need a centre. And a winger. And a full back. And a half. And a 5/8. And a backrower. And a hooker. And a prop.

But let's start with the centre
If we're limited to players off contract we basically HAVE to sign Cotric. Since we've waited so long to get into the transfer market there isn't a lot left. 2021 should be our target year so if the board decided against that then I'm against them. If they've changed their mind now that's even worse.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Fair point.

Name me those players who you think are attainable? Not having a dig mate as I honestly don't know, and would love to see a youngster coming in. Maybe another Saint outside back for example?
I can't be fucked right now. Case in point, Penrith give a debut to this Staines kid and he scores 4 tries. Why not try and take a chance on another player like him as opposed to an average player like Lafai?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we're limited to players off contract we basically HAVE to sign Cotric. Since we've waited so long to get into the transfer market there isn't a lot left. 2021 should be our target year so if the board decided against that then I'm against them. If they've changed their mind now that's even worse.
Yes. But what a player right now. Not at the end of the year but now.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This can’t be true can it? Will fit right into our speed less backline that’s for sure.

If we throw 1 cent at a finished player like lafai then we are in a much much suede position then I thought.

It’s bad enough we have to carry Jackson, zelezkiak, stimpson And Britt beyond 2021. If we bring in lafai that will do me. We will go back to back. And I’m not saying like the roosters unfortunately. We will occupy the bottom of the table for a while.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I can't be fucked right now. Case in point, Penrith give a debut to this Staines kid and he scores 4 tries. Why not try and take a chance on another player like him as opposed to an average player like Lafai?
Staines was basically falling over the line. His last try he beat one player. I was more impressed with his try assist. That was more the players around him (the tries he scored). Meaney or Crichton would of scored those tries. This is also how we were tricked into buying Crichton.