News Bulldogs boss Phil Gould defends mysterious handling of coach hunt

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the fact he didn’t give any of those gossip whore journos nothing and they hate it .
Gus Is smart and don’t give a fuck
I love his response to that question
I wouldn’t be suprised if ciraldo has been working with Gus prior with our retention and what not

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If we are for real doggies should target spencer and Sorensen from panthers both off contract would boost us up front with Vaughans departure
I think Sorenson would be a really good player for us. Is definitely better than most of our backrowers at the moment

Spencer?....not so sure. We need an experienced starting prop who can consistently churn out the metres and keep it nice and tight in the middle like Vaughan. Problem is finding someone like that

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Oh yea he should have announced to the media that he was offering a 5 year deal then been publicly humiliated like the Tigers. That’s what he should have done

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think Sorenson would be a really good player for us. Is definitely better than most of our backrowers at the moment

Spencer?....not so sure. We need an experienced starting prop who can consistently churn out the metres and keep it nice and tight in the middle like Vaughan. Problem is finding someone like that
spencer can do that but he is being used as impact by penrith, not being used correctly imo

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Is he fit enough for 50 minutes a game in your opinion Steve?
if he is given game time yes, but they have the best prop in the game in fisher harris and Leoita is playing great also. Both those props would be starting props in our team and most teams in the NRL.
Spencer could come here be a starting prop and easily play 50 minutes imo.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Dont understand why Gus even has to answer for that at all. So what if he doesnt call the media and give them the juice every time he has a thought. He was being professional and respectful, not talking about it publicly until a final decision was made and his signature was on the contract.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Champ Gould.. just hope Ciraldo is as good as they say he is..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Glad the club seems to have locked down the leaks. The media sound like entitled brats if they expect progress reports.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bulldogs supremo Phil Gould has defended his mysterious handling of the coach hunt, culminating in the appointment of Panthers assistant Cameron Ciraldo on Sunday.

Many weeks ticked by as hardly a whisper emerged from the Belmore headquarters, but among the quiet backdrop were also several comments by Gould that left the public stumped.

The Bulldogs general manager of football said multiple times that he hadn't begun the recruitment process, hadn't given it a single thought or didn't have a clue about the pursuit.

"When are we going to have a bit of news on who's going to coach the Doggies next year?" Paul Gallen asked Gould on 2GB radio on Saturday.

"I've got no idea, mate ... I'm too busy doing other things," Gould said.

Ciraldo was announced as Bulldogs coach the following day.

The highly rated coach will lead Canterbury on a five-year deal from 2023, as the club strives to overcome a terrible period in its history.

In an engrossing snippet of television on Nine's 100% Footy on Monday, Sydney Morning Herald reporter Michael Chammas grilled Gould about his puzzling recruitment job.

"I want to ask you about the way this all panned out over the last couple of months, because from day one you said that the phone's been running hot with applicants," Chammas said.

"Then you came on here and you said that there's been no applicants. You said you wanted an experienced coach then denied when we asked you about Cameron Ciraldo. I get that. And then even with the Tigers you said you'd encourage (Ciraldo) to stay at Penrith, which the Tigers thought was sabotage at the time.

"I want to ask you, though. You don't owe it to us as the media, but to the fans and the members, who vote the board on and vote to get people on who have hired you to do a job ... why handle it the way that it has been handled? Why the need for secrecy around this deal when most people knew that you were in for Cameron Ciraldo months ago?"

Gould was blunt.

"Is that right?" he said.

"You're putting words in my mouth again.

"You know nothing about the process we've been through.

"Nor do I have, as you said, any obligation to answer that question, nor answer your question, nor answer for any of the things I've said over the last few months, all of which, at the time, were true."

"Cameron Ciraldo — you met with him months ago, from my understanding," Chammas said.

"The Tigers got a call saying, as a courtesy, when they were talking to him, saying that Phil Gould wants to meet with Cameron Ciraldo, and (the Tigers) notified (the Bulldogs) a couple of months ago when they were discussing.

"Now, as you said, it's your prerogative to deal with it the way you have, and you don't have any (obligation) to say anything to the media about what's happened at your club, and a lot of fans would be sitting here today at the Bulldogs very happy with the outcome that you've managed to orchestrate.

"But that secrecy and the way you handled it ... was that vital to getting the deal done, do you think?"

"Absolutely," Gould said.

"Absolutely. Absolutely."
Goes to show yet again that Gould considers himself above the Club, above the game, not answerable to fans, the media. He is his own man. This elitist attitude is sickening.
To contradict himself so much, 1 day saying the phones are running hot, the next saying there's been no applicants, then the day before Ciraldo tells Penrith he's leaving is pathetic. For Gould to blatantly lie to Gallen saying "I've got no idea" when we will get some news on who will be coaching us next year, because I'm too busy doing other things, when he could just as easily of said, hopefully in coming weeks if not days, just shows the contempt he had for fans and every other stakeholder. Being a smart ass isn't warranted. It's elitist and detrimental to full and honest disclosure that the Club owes all stakeholders.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like Gus needed to spout what was going on, allowing the spotlight to fall on Cameron along with the pressure that goes with that.

Imagine the crap it would have caused with the playing group and management at Penrith over the last few months.

Negotiations are done in private for a reason, only a fool would vocalise everything they were doing to the public.
Cough, cough Wests Tigers cough :grinning:

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Goes to show yet again that Gould considers himself above the Club, above the game, not answerable to fans, the media. He is his own man. This elitist attitude is sickening.
To contradict himself so much, 1 day saying the phones are running hot, the next saying there's been no applicants, then the day before Ciraldo tells Penrith he's leaving is pathetic. For Gould to blatantly lie to Gallen saying "I've got no idea" when we will get some news on who will be coaching us next year, because I'm too busy doing other things, when he could just as easily of said, hopefully in coming weeks if not days, just shows the contempt he had for fans and every other stakeholder. Being a smart ass isn't warranted. It's elitist and detrimental to full and honest disclosure that the Club owes all stakeholders.
Contempt for fans? He's done whats in the best interest for the Club.
What harm has has Gus caused the club for you to dislike him so much?
I mean lying to Gallen or the press means nothing, he is not obliged to answer their questions. I dont need to know whats happening behind the scenes, I just want him to get results.
The fact is he has media gigs and a responsibility to the Dogs. Sofar as I can see he has placed the best interest of the Dogs first.
Personally Ill take everything he sais with a grain of salt publicly but we are on the up and thats what matters.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The way I see it Gould has done nothing different to what Bullfrog would do in the same circumstances. In fact what Bullfrog actually did do, many times over. I do not see how that can be a bad thing for us, and to be frank I don’t give a rats about the media or the NRL. It‘s Bulldogs first and anything/everything else is almost always irrelevant.

Always a Bulldog

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The way I see it Gould has done nothing different to what Bullfrog would do in the same circumstances. In fact what Bullfrog actually did do, many times over. I do not see how that can be a bad thing for us, and to be frank I don’t give a rats about the media or the NRL. It‘s Bulldogs first and anything/everything else is almost always irrelevant.

Always a Bulldog
This 100%....well said!!! With the way Gus has been running the show, Bullfrog would be proud.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Muuuuum, Phillip won't let me pay with his ball"

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he's open and honest to fans, then he is open and honest about our strategies to EVERY SINGLE PERSON. Media, journalist, and other clubs.

I could not give a shit if he mushroom'd us continuously when it comes to making big decisions like this... because on even the smaller things (how many rumours has he shut down about players signing with us - ie Nathan Brown, Josh Reynolds etc) he gives us the facts. He may of led us down a stray path on Cotric, but that was based on circumstances changing.

It's Bullfrog 2.0 and I fucking love it. We have been missing that for some time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Wow, what a shock. A club CEO or executive lied to the media about signing a player or coach. That only happens every day in every professional sport.

I love how the media act all outraged when they're misled, but they never take any responsibility for the fake rumours and stories they make up to generate content.

Last edited:

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus is doing what is right for the club, that’s all that matters.

too long we have been a laughing stock at the medias expense, NO MORE!

we’re the fk’n BULLDOGS!! Media, You don’t like how our boss handles business?? - fk off!