News Bulldogs becoming a graveyard where careers go to die

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m just gonna say this
No matter how many panthers you buy ,you can’t put the panthers in the bulldog,wether I t’s training systems or anything else.
Our DNA is blue and white and nothing else.
We need to entertain again
As hard we wanna try and be tough we just ain’t,
At the moment ciraldo needs to play to our strengths and that’s Kiraz,King,Hughes, and who ever else has the skill is to just offload.
I’m expecting the bulldogs of round 2 last year against the storm to show up,the ones that played with more flair.
Another round of bash and barge and we’ll sink our season.
Gus please tell the boys that it’s ok to offload .
And that’s why Gould has invested heavily into juniors, these guys will cultivate their own identity and culture when they see first grade together… they are winning everything in lower grades and that winning culture will transfer across…

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He’s right about Reed Mahoney, he looks bereft of attacking ideas and his overplays his hand

His defence is still hit or miss
Frustrating when he tries to go himself from dummy half to try and get a penalty, he never gets it then for the rest of the set we are flat.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bulldogs becoming a graveyard where careers go to die
The Bulldogs’ lacklustre Round 1 showing further highlighted a growing headache about the club’s latest batch of star recruits.

Remember when the Bulldogs weren’t a ropey side you could safely back against a NSW Cup team?

When they had a forward pack of hagrid thundercats that played like they were raised in a storm drain?

When their halves were schemers and their coaches expressionless and sieged behind famous surnames and Oakleys?
And most importantly, who remembers when they would religiously play finals, and set the standard in doing so?
From 1993 onwards, the Bulldogs played September footy in 18 of 23 seasons, earning success with a reptilian style where they’d step over their own mothers to scrap for a Twistie.

These sides were known for being scary as hell too, and with players like Brokenshire, McCracken and Ward, even their names implied you were about to be hospitalised.

But these days are now but a distant memory.
Sadly, today’s “Dogs of Woe” have gone six straight years without making the top eight - and barring something drastic like a 17 team McIntyre System, it doesn’t look like changing anytime soon.

For the love of Bullfrog Moore and Folkesy’s Oakleys, where the hell did it go wrong?
Put simply, somewhere along the line this once-imperious club made peace with living in an ongoing rebuild that keeps getting cleaned-out and paid-off before it begins.
Sure, the Bankstown club’s round one loss to the Eels on Saturday was as gutsy and well-drilled as it gets for a 26-8 defeat - and yes, its only round one - but it only further highlighted a newer, more frustrating headache for embattled Doggies fans.

That being, their club is finally attracting good players, but once they don the jersey, they’re either wasting or wasted.
Sure, seeing names on their roster like Matt Burton, Stephen Crichton, Josh Addo-Carr and Viliame Kikau is eons away from the Dean Pay era, when the former club great was tasked with cleaning up Des Hasler’s mess with nothing more than a batch of reserve-graders and a handful of coupons.
But what’s the point of buying a heap of catamarans if they’re neglected and docked in a horse stable?

Since signing, Mahoney has lost his guile, Addo-Carr has lost his Origin jumper, and Burton has lost his bearings- and that’s not just his flat-earth ideals.

And when your roster is two-speed like Canterbury’s - with a number of top-line, well-paid talents offset with more pawns and utilities than a Monopoly board - the big names need to carry the dependants by regularly flexing their dad-strength.
But sadly, these terrific talents are either wilting behind beaten packs, on lonely wings and/or in positions of unfamiliarity.
Mahoney is tireless but frustrated behind the tiniest front-row in the comp, Burton’s confusion in the halves is manifesting in bomb-happy mind-rot, and while Addo-Carr has returned to his best since losing his Blues jersey, guys like him and Viliame Kikau will catch scurvy on an edge before any decent ball finds it way out there.
And worst of all, how will this impact new signing Stephen Crichton?

One common thread among pundits from Saturday’s game was that after eight runs for 60 metres, Cameron Ciraldo needs to do something to get the ball in this bloke’s hands more often before his touch rate plunges to rugby levels.
Can this be addressed by shifting Burton back to centre and replacing him with someone in the halves who - stay with me here - is a half?

Does Ciraldo punt on Crichton at fullback? Or can the former Panther simply take nine hit-ups a set and get the ball to himself out wide?
Either way, something needs to change before the leaks and agitation begin - both externally and internally.
Otherwise, Canterbury will continue as a graveyard where careers die and saviours go in reverse quicker than Ben Creagh facing Justin Hodges.
Wtf is this shit?

This should rally our supporters behind the team and develop an us vs them seige mentality but ...

Most of the soft ***** on here but into this click bait/stir reaction bullshit journalism.

I don't know about the rest of you *****, but I say FUCK THEM

We're the Bulldogs and by the end of this season a lot of people will be eating their own words

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm surprised someone didn't also post the article I saw somewhere on notifications(news.com I think)where Cam Smith is also speculating Critta has the shits with playing centre .. i do suppose he would be thinking he is light years better than Taaffe at fb but where do they get this shit from after one round.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wtf is this shit?

This should rally our supporters behind the team and develop an us vs them seige mentality but ...

Most of the soft ***** on here but into this click bait/stir reaction bullshit journalism.

I don't know about the rest of you *****, but I say FUCK THEM

We're the Bulldogs and by the end of this season a lot of people will be eating their own words
I'm team positive also mate!
These articles do fuel the glass empty ppl unfortunately.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I'm surprised someone didn't also post the article I saw somewhere on notifications(news.com I think)where Cam Smith is also speculating Critta has the shits with playing centre .. i do suppose he would be thinking he is light years better than Taaffe at fb but where do they get this shit from after one round.
Articles today on Aapnews how happy and motivated Suli and Sloan are with their new coach Flanno, who sat down with them and told them a few home truths and now they are enjoying training and their footy bc he is such a tough coach. We'll be mentioned with that angle soon and how Flanno begged Gus for the Dogs job and we turned him down.

Buzz 1..2..3

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What's funny is that Taafe carved our team up not the panthers and we were shit last season and the season before and before that, but CC selected him even with a better choice available, it has to be critta imo.
Critta seems to want to play FB, didn’t seem very involved Saturday, not as he usually would be, needs to be in 1, before he loses interest, it’s obvious that’s where he wants to be !!

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frustrating when he tries to go himself from dummy half to try and get a penalty, he never gets it then for the rest of the set we are flat.
It is the most fucken frustrating part of his game, by a mile. Why he doesn’t run at those times is beyond me.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m just gonna say this
No matter how many panthers you buy ,you can’t put the panthers in the bulldog,wether I t’s training systems or anything else.
Our DNA is blue and white and nothing else.
We need to entertain again
As hard we wanna try and be tough we just ain’t,
At the moment ciraldo needs to play to our strengths and that’s Kiraz,King,Hughes, and who ever else has the skill is to just offload.
I’m expecting the bulldogs of round 2 last year against the storm to show up,the ones that played with more flair.
Another round of bash and barge and we’ll sink our season.
Gus please tell the boys that it’s ok to offload .
we had no fukin ball and u are talking about off loads? I don't know what game u watched but we were in our half for most of the game

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Critta seems to want to play FB, didn’t seem very involved Saturday, not as he usually would be, needs to be in 1, before he loses interest, it’s obvious that’s where he wants to be !!
Just read the Cam Smith article on this. The league media only exist for Bulldogs death stories.

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reed at Parra had the best middles to help him. Here he has King and a few other clubs rejects.
It’s laughable that Gus failed to deliver a big name prop when he said we have money to spend

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Just read the Cam Smith article on this. The league media only exist for Bulldogs death stories.
We are cursed, I truly believe this. Was chatting to a few mates last week, and even last year .. I believe I said it on more than one post that we are!! It’s just not a good feeling anymore, and doesn’t get any better as each year goes by unfortunately. And you know I am very optimistic.

Geoff Chambers

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yes but listen, the club had the perfect opportunity to go about their off season & pre season quietly and professionally (siege mentality)
But same as the year before it wasn't the case unfortunately there was a big fuss made about the new recruits and they're "utility" value was going to be a huge step forward as now we've got "depth" to cover all positions so if guys go down there's someone bigger and badder ready to take their place.

I dunno I just think Gould talks too much but then again he is in the media himself but if your out there telling the world how great you are all the time you leave yourself wide open to criticism.

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app

Robdog111

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Reed at Parra had the best middles to help him. Here he has King and a few other clubs rejects.
It’s laughable that Gus failed to deliver a big name prop when he said we have money to spend
So Terrell May and AFB? Yeah there's elite props growing out everyone's arsehole apparently!

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bulldogs becoming a graveyard where careers go to die
The Bulldogs’ lacklustre Round 1 showing further highlighted a growing headache about the club’s latest batch of star recruits.

Remember when the Bulldogs weren’t a ropey side you could safely back against a NSW Cup team?

When they had a forward pack of hagrid thundercats that played like they were raised in a storm drain?

When their halves were schemers and their coaches expressionless and sieged behind famous surnames and Oakleys?
And most importantly, who remembers when they would religiously play finals, and set the standard in doing so?
From 1993 onwards, the Bulldogs played September footy in 18 of 23 seasons, earning success with a reptilian style where they’d step over their own mothers to scrap for a Twistie.

These sides were known for being scary as hell too, and with players like Brokenshire, McCracken and Ward, even their names implied you were about to be hospitalised.

But these days are now but a distant memory.
Sadly, today’s “Dogs of Woe” have gone six straight years without making the top eight - and barring something drastic like a 17 team McIntyre System, it doesn’t look like changing anytime soon.

For the love of Bullfrog Moore and Folkesy’s Oakleys, where the hell did it go wrong?
Put simply, somewhere along the line this once-imperious club made peace with living in an ongoing rebuild that keeps getting cleaned-out and paid-off before it begins.
Sure, the Bankstown club’s round one loss to the Eels on Saturday was as gutsy and well-drilled as it gets for a 26-8 defeat - and yes, its only round one - but it only further highlighted a newer, more frustrating headache for embattled Doggies fans.

That being, their club is finally attracting good players, but once they don the jersey, they’re either wasting or wasted.
Sure, seeing names on their roster like Matt Burton, Stephen Crichton, Josh Addo-Carr and Viliame Kikau is eons away from the Dean Pay era, when the former club great was tasked with cleaning up Des Hasler’s mess with nothing more than a batch of reserve-graders and a handful of coupons.
But what’s the point of buying a heap of catamarans if they’re neglected and docked in a horse stable?

Since signing, Mahoney has lost his guile, Addo-Carr has lost his Origin jumper, and Burton has lost his bearings- and that’s not just his flat-earth ideals.

And when your roster is two-speed like Canterbury’s - with a number of top-line, well-paid talents offset with more pawns and utilities than a Monopoly board - the big names need to carry the dependants by regularly flexing their dad-strength.
But sadly, these terrific talents are either wilting behind beaten packs, on lonely wings and/or in positions of unfamiliarity.
Mahoney is tireless but frustrated behind the tiniest front-row in the comp, Burton’s confusion in the halves is manifesting in bomb-happy mind-rot, and while Addo-Carr has returned to his best since losing his Blues jersey, guys like him and Viliame Kikau will catch scurvy on an edge before any decent ball finds it way out there.
And worst of all, how will this impact new signing Stephen Crichton?

One common thread among pundits from Saturday’s game was that after eight runs for 60 metres, Cameron Ciraldo needs to do something to get the ball in this bloke’s hands more often before his touch rate plunges to rugby levels.
Can this be addressed by shifting Burton back to centre and replacing him with someone in the halves who - stay with me here - is a half?

Does Ciraldo punt on Crichton at fullback? Or can the former Panther simply take nine hit-ups a set and get the ball to himself out wide?
Either way, something needs to change before the leaks and agitation begin - both externally and internally.
Otherwise, Canterbury will continue as a graveyard where careers die and saviours go in reverse quicker than Ben Creagh facing Justin Hodges.
Einstein said :laughing:
Shuffling players in the backline might improve things but no matter what the changes are " We are still desperate for 1 or 2 rampaging props " who would make life a lot easier for the rest of the team !!!