Bulldog Bryson Goodwin feared for his life

Status
Not open for further replies.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
HE was shaking with pain. His knuckles turned white as Bryson Goodwin gripped the stretcher, trying to fight off the pain in his chest.

As doctors hurried around him, the 26 year-old Bulldogs winger feared he was having a heart attack.

Then he passed out.

"I had a seizure pretty much as soon as I arrived at the hospital," Goodwin told The Sunday Telegraph from his bed at Concord Hospital.

"I was out the front, in the triage, and I felt this intense pain before I started shaking. I had never felt anything like it and yeah, I was scared."

Goodwin ruptured his spleen in a collision with Sharks fullback Matthew Wright last Monday. What seemed an innocuous hit turned into a life-threatening injury that will leave him bed-ridden for at least four weeks.

It has left the career of the off-contract winger in jeopardy. He had more than two litres of blood in his stomach when he arrived at Concord Hospital late last Monday night, the result of his torn spleen.

"It was just a collision," Goodwin said. "I was just going for the ball and I thought I was winded.

"I thought it would get better, but it didn't. I had to leave the field. The pain really started when I came off. The medical staff weren't sure what was wrong with me and then I went to the toilet and saw blood.

"I came back and they told me an ambulance was on the way. I could hardly move.

"It was the worst pain I had ever been in.

"I was lying in the sheds in agony. It was like an intense stomach ache.

"By the time it got to a really serious point, I was out of it. I didn't know what was happening."

The worry was left to Goodwin's wife, Jessica. She was given a sobering talk by the chief surgeon as her husband was rushed into surgery.

"I was told he could have a heart attack, a stroke, any number of things," Jessica said. "They gave me a run-down about the surgery and the worst-case scenario.

"They took him up and cut the blood supply to his spleen. He didn't get out (of surgery) until after 4am (Tuesday morning) and spent almost three days in (intensive care)."

Goodwin, who is hoping to be released from hospital this week, will spend the next month in bed waiting for his spleen to heal.

"It still does hurt, but I can move around, which is good, I guess," he said. "Every day I am feeling better, so I am just hoping it goes well. I have four weeks of doing nothing and it will be about 12 weeks until I can do any contact."

Fighting for a new contract, Goodwin had returned to the form which saw him earn a Kiwi Test jersey in 2009.

With no long-term damage expected, he is hoping he has shown enough for the Bulldogs to retain him.

"This hasn't come at a good time because I am off contract but I want to be back by the end of the year," he said.

"I love the Dogs and desperately want to stay."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...red-for-his-life/story-e6frexnr-1226367873998

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I had no idea that it was that serious.

Hope for a speedy recovery.

What does a spleen do for you anyway? What functions for the body does it perform?

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Goodluck mr goodwin and i wish u a healthy recovery.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Ya hear that Idris ... THIS is how you bleed for the club, you sloppy b*tch !!!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
wish him a speedy recovery....hadnt realised the severity of the injury until i read this....definitely some scary stuff

Matty

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
for him to play on after this shows his character for mine. Unbelievable toughness and the type of player you want on your team. He is never going to be the most talented winger in the comp but he is a good finisher and wears his jersey with pride every week. Some people on here are way too harsh on Bryson. I wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him later on in the year. I hope he gets another contract, at least for another year just so he can prove himself. I think he works very well with Morris tbh.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Faarrrkkk. I hope his recovery is quick and complication free. I'm surprised it was that bad. I was working and never saw the game but the description of it being a stinger led me to believe it wasn't so serious.

I think his form this year has been good overall. He had two poor games IMO but i think he deserves another contract.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Faarrrkkk. I hope his recovery is quick and complication free. I'm surprised it was that bad. I was working and never saw the game but the description of it being a stinger led me to believe it wasn't so serious.

I think his form this year has been good overall. He had two poor games IMO but i think he deserves another contract.
agreed :grinning:

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had no idea that it was that serious.

Hope for a speedy recovery.

What does a spleen do for you anyway? What functions for the body does it perform?
Your spleen does basically jacks*it. It is technically part of your immune system, but even if you lose it, it barely affects you. I think it's one of those weird evolutionary throwbacks that we've kinda developed past the point of needing.

The problem is that (by the standards of internal organs) it's relatively easily ruptured and, like any internal bleeding is slowly going to bleed you to death inside your own body unless the blood flow into (and out of) it is stopped.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
@NRL_Bulldogs: Just a stinger for Bry. Looks like he'll be ok

Goz

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
fark me, poor bugger, hope they gave him the green whistle

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Your spleen does basically jacks*it. It is technically part of your immune system, but even if you lose it, it barely affects you. I think it's one of those weird evolutionary throwbacks that we've kinda developed past the point of needing.

The problem is that (by the standards of internal organs) it's relatively easily ruptured and, like any internal bleeding is slowly going to bleed you to death inside your own body unless the blood flow into (and out of) it is stopped.
Thanks for that. So have they removed it from Bryson or repaired it?

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for that. So have they removed it from Bryson or repaired it?
Dunno. I think when they rupture, they're almost always removed.

My brother lost his about 15 years ago after being kicked in the side while playing soccer. He's had zero ill effects as a result - not been more prone to illness or anything like that. You wouldn't know it was gone.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Not as useless as you think.. gets rid of old n sh*t blood cells. If you have yours removed, without treatment, immunizations, your more prone to getting infections and what-not.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
****ing hell!
All the best in your recovery Bryson.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man u know people have died from not having a spleen? It leaves u wide open to infections. A tiny cut on ur hand can kill u because if it gets infected, ur body doesn't fight it.

My mate had his removed and the Drs explained to him how important they are. He constantly stresses about getting cuts and things. It really is a vital part of ur body.

Good luck to Bryson for a full and speedy recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.