Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
i'm studying drafting, give me a call i could use the work

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest if you are wanting to go with an architect you better have a nice view or area to build something that needs an architect's touch otherwise I'd just get a reputable company to pick the design from a recyclable folio of standard houses best suited to the surroundings or make adjustments by them and let them handle it with their own contractors while you check on it here and there.

Not to sound mean or anything but why go with an architect if you don't have anything nice to start with (suburb, surroundings, views and etc).

I find it odd when people build these nice modern houses (square based and open) which I really admire in places that aren't suited to it. If everyone has a gable based roof which are bloody eye sores to me then go just go with it to "fit in" than getting an architect to design something different to.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Wanted more money. I done it straight out of high school. Mates were sparkies and they were on big money as apprentices. I wanted money straight away not "you'll be pulling in the cash in about 5-10 years" lol. Would love to restart it.
fair enough. Yh im really thinking i should finish it while im still youngish so i got something to fall back on. Still havn't decided what i wanna do long term yet lol.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
To be honest if you are wanting to go with an architect you better have a nice view or area to build something that needs an architect's touch otherwise I'd just get a reputable company to pick the design from a recyclable folio of standard houses best suited to the surroundings or make adjustments by them and let them handle it with their own contractors while you check on it here and there.

Not to sound mean or anything but why go with an architect if you don't have anything nice to start with (suburb, surroundings, views and etc).

I find it odd when people build these nice modern houses (square based and open) which I really admire in places that aren't suited to it. If everyone has a gable based roof which are bloody eye sores to me then go just go with it to "fit in" than getting an architect to design something different to.
Why put money into a car when you have to drive it on shitney roads? Because people like nice things lol. Same goes for building a house.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Go with an architect, and tell us when you'll be on Grand Designs Australia :grinning:

Avoid Clarendon.. their finish is f**king crap and that's being polite. It's like they toss mortar between the bricks and who cares if it goes all over the place. Then theres cracks that develop in the gyrock because the foundations aren't solid enough.

Infact there are a lot of shit places these days that build.. I dare say most of those houses won't be standing in 20-30 year built.

Depends how much they are wanting to spend ... if it's a monster luxury home I can put you in touch with a builder who builds stunning $2 million + homes.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why put money into a car when you have to drive it on shitney roads? Because people like nice things lol. Same goes for building a house.
I just find it wrong to put something where it doesn't belong regarding to houses/buildings, fair enough people want a nice home but if everything around isn't suited to a certain design and life style it's a waste asking an architect to bother when a "standard" home with slight adjustments will do.

I would of done at architecture if I didn't choose engineering as I do enjoy it, put it like this imagine someone comes up to you as an architect asking for something suited to water side views and modern with open designs but it's going to be put in the middle of Mt Druitt.

I'd feel pretty shitty knowing a great design is going somewhere far below its prestige, maybe it's an ego thing but I think it's important to know your work will be suited and an eye catcher not a stand out next to "crap" that is basic.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I just find it wrong to put something where it doesn't belong regarding to houses/buildings, fair enough people want a nice home but if everything around isn't suited to a certain design and life style it's a waste asking an architect to bother when a "standard" home with slight adjustments will do.

I would of done at architecture if I didn't choose engineering as I do enjoy it, put it like this imagine someone comes up to you as an architect asking for something suited to water side views and modern with open designs but it's going to be put in the middle of Mt Druitt.

I'd feel pretty shitty knowing a great design is going somewhere far below its prestige, maybe it's an ego thing but I think it's important to know your work will be suited and an eye catcher not a stand out next to "crap" that is basic.
Yh defs an ego thing lol. Who cares where the place is, someone move to a cheaper suburb (does not exist in sydney) to have the house of their dreams...

Blue&White

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Mrs, I've been involved in the construction of houses through to multi-level apartments. I've experienced both extremes - the really bad and the really good.

There's a lot more involved than simply appointing a builder. You need to start with the right consultants - architect, engineer etc. Choosing the wrong consultants can cost you more than choosing the wrong builder. I know this from my own experiences.

PM me if you want to discuss further or need some contacts.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Mrs, I've been involved in the construction of houses through to multi-level apartments. I've experienced both extremes - the really bad and the really good.

There's a lot more involved than simply appointing a builder. You need to start with the right consultants - architect, engineer etc. Choosing the wrong consultants can cost you more than choosing the wrong builder. I know this from my own experiences.

Speaking of which Blue&White give us a buzz some time if you can today if you not busy

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If I had to do it again I'd use masterton homes or one of those reputable building companies. I got one built in Bossley park about 15 years ago took them 3-6 months till lock up stage.
then about 7 years ago we started on our current home (owner/builder) we're still not finished ! We didn't save any money either maybe a little bit on the brickwork because my hubby's a builder/brickie but that's it, what a nightmare .

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fukk Masterton homes wolfie lol they are pure garbage a piece of shit tent from aldi would last longer than them

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I used to think the same way but now you gotta think about the value of your property. The street they live on is alright. They live in Riverwood and right now the land is probably worth the same amount that we're going to pay to build a new house on top. It's not so much the fact that we want something fancy, the land is in a bit of an awkward spot so we probably need to customize something thats off the plan anyway.

Cheers B&W. Will defiantly get in touch if we get stuck :grinning:

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fukk Masterton homes wolfie lol they are pure garbage a piece of shit tent from aldi would last longer than them
I trust you , but im talking from my shortsighted pov.. I had no hassles with the building phase but I have no idea what the house is like now probably needs a knock down rebuild again , I just find the owner builder way is time consuming and way more costly when you factor in time and effort from your side plus its a lot slower I had no kitchen for a year and lived amongst framework , I was always dusting and cleaning all the time. And its still not finished.

Lady Emerald

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I trust you , but im talking from my shortsighted pov.. I had no hassles with the building phase but I have no idea what the house is like now probably needs a knock down rebuild again , I just find the owner builder way is time consuming and way more costly when you factor in time and effort from your side plus its a lot slower I had no kitchen for a year and lived amongst framework , I was always dusting and cleaning all the time. And its still not finished.
That's crazy. How big is the house?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yh defs an ego thing lol. Who cares where the place is, someone move to a cheaper suburb (does not exist in sydney) to have the house of their dreams...
Haha yeah it is ego for sure.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair enough I know a few people that were doing that and it took years one couple divorced before it even got finished

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's crazy. How big is the house?
It is crazy.. Its only a single dwelling 4 bedroom house.. I borrowed $120k for renovations ( that was to cover iripping out all the guts and extending ) but then we didn't factor in what happens when hubby's working on the house as well organising tradies etc leaving only one part-.time income to repay the mortgage and feed the fam .. So yes basically inexperience and part stupidity was the reason behind the issues.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

listen to whatever this guys says, he knows his shiit.

Status
Not open for further replies.