Broncos star Payne Haas eyes club record 10-year, $10 million contract

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
NSW Origin star Payne Haas is on the verge of inking a Brisbane club record 10-year, $10 million contract that will make him a Bronco for life and the highest-paid prop in NRL history.

News Corp can reveal Haas and Broncos hierarchy are in negotiations on the richest deal in Brisbane’s 33-year history — a decade-long bonanza designed to keep the 21-year-old at Red Hill until the end of 2031.

Under the terms of the extraordinary deal, Haas will be Brisbane’s No.1 salary earner on a proposed seven-figure sum, which would make him the first $1 million forward in Broncos history.

It would be the NRL’s second 10-year contract after Cowboys lock Jason Taumalolo signed a historic deal with the Cowboys in 2017.

Payne Haas celebrates a victory for the Broncos. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Payne Haas celebrates a victory for the Broncos. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Haas is already contracted to the Broncos until the end of 2024 on a deal worth $550,000 this season, but club bosses are mindful of poaching threats from NRL rivals looking to capitalise on Brisbane’s wooden-spoon turbulence.

More than 10 NRL clubs this year have attempted to contact his management, or Haas directly, as rumours began to circulate the prop may want out of the Broncos.

Haas stood to command in excess of $900,000 annually on the open market should the Blues enforcer consider a change of scenery amid Brisbane’s on and off-field woes.

But the Broncos want Haas for the long haul and will keep him off the open market for up to 10 years pending approval on an upgraded deal from Brisbane’s board headed by chairman Karl Morris.

Payne Haas on the charge for the Broncos. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Payne Haas on the charge for the Broncos. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

New Brisbane head-of-football Ben Ikin declined to discuss specific figures, but confirmed the Broncos are keen to secure the hottest young front-row prospect in the code to a lifetime deal.

“We will remain in the conversation with Payne and his agent about how we make sure he stays at the Broncos for life,” Ikin said.

“The conversation is bubbling along but we have no plans to lose Payne Haas.

“Keeping him at the club is always on our radar, it’s not something that ever drops off.

“We would like to think Payne wants to be here for the long-term.

“The Broncos certainly want to keep him and as the conversation continues (with his agent), hopefully we can at some point land on something we are both happy with at the right time.”

New Brisbane head-of-football Ben Ikin has made an immediate impact at the club, re-signing several young stars, with Haas set to follow suit. Picture: Getty Images.

New Brisbane head-of-football Ben Ikin has made an immediate impact at the club, re-signing several young stars, with Haas set to follow suit. Picture: Getty Images.

Haas’ numbers are exceptional.

Since his NRL debut in 2018, he has amassed 8759 running metres at average of 168m per game and 1881 tackles from 52 career games at a weekly average of 36.

Underlining his talent, Haas made his NSW Origin in 2019 at age 18 after just 10 first-grade games.

Broncos bosses are in no rush but the deal is expected to be formally ratified this month in a move that will elevate Haas among the financial kingpins of the NRL.

News Corp’s exclusive Rich 100 list last week unveiled Cronulla’s Andrew Fifita as the NRL’s highest-paid prop on $850,000 a season.

Manly lock Jake Trbojevic and North Queensland No.13 Taumalolo, who operate as middle-forwards, are on deals in excess of $900,000 annually.

But Haas is set to become the new financial engine-room benchmark.

“Discussions are progressing positively with the Broncos,” said his agent, PSM director Chris Orr.

“It helps that Payne has confidence in his coaches, fellow players and head office.

“Payne is a special player who brings a lot to the Broncos.”

Payne Haas, Brisbane Broncos training, Red Hill. Picture: Liam Kidston

Payne Haas, Brisbane Broncos training, Red Hill. Picture: Liam Kidston

His long-term retention is a statement of faith in Brisbane under Ikin and new CEO Dave Donaghy, with the club having retained Kotoni Staggs, Kobe Hetherington, Tyson Gamble, Jordan Riki, Brendan Piakura, Selwyn Cobbo and TC Robati this season.

The Broncos have also added marquee recruits Adam Reynolds and Queensland Origin utility Kurt Capewell on three-year deals from next season.

But Haas’ 10-year upgrade is the most seismic contract move in Brisbane’s quest for roster stability.

Haas would be 31 years old when he next becomes a free agent. Critics will raise concerns about Haas’ off-field dramas in recent years, but Brisbane insiders have noted his shift in maturity and attitude since becoming a father in May.

Payne Haas’ stats are exceptional. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Payne Haas’ stats are exceptional. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Haas’ remarkable chase against Cronulla last week, denying the Sharks a try in the 80th minute of Brisbane’s 26-18 win, is evidence for the Broncos he is the ultimate competitor who would not become complacent by a 10-year deal.

The Broncos were burned by their first $1 million-a-season deal for Anthony Milford in 2017, but Brisbane view Haas as their forward spiritual leader and a possible future captain.

“Payne is a special player,” Ikin said.

“He plays in the toughest position on the field and he has such high personal standards and he brings them to every game, every week, into every training session.

“I have only got to know him over the past few weeks and everything I thought he would be, Payne has exceeded my expectations.”

The Kangaroos enforcer told News Corp last month he would give the Broncos every opportunity to keep him.

“I like the Broncos,” Haas said.

“I know some guys have left but this is a special club with a rich history. Things can happen in footy, we all know that, but I would like to be part of us having success again.

“I have some flaws in my game I have to work on, I am still a young middle and I’m proud of what I have done in a short space of time. I want to keep working hard and see what I can do.”

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
He better be careful….

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
These deals can only be good if the player accepts to take less than he's worth (possibly a significant amount) for the guaranteed job security (anything between 5-10 years). You're always going to have desperate clubs that need to risk it tho. Haas is the best forward in the game imo (I rate him slightly higher than JFH). The Cowboys would of thought the same about Taumalolo a few years back.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
For a frontrower, gee Ikin seems as stupid as those that were before him

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hahaha idiots.
Agreed. Don't know any such contract that has worked out in any football code.

On the other hand, this could be an indication of what the numbers are out there coming from other clubs. If it forces Bonkos into a 10 year contract that can only be good for the other clubs though.

I'm happy that our club is drawing a line when it comes to player contracts and not throwing panic money+contract lengths out there.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good player but the way they are using him I’m not sure how effective he will be in 4 years time

707_2Belmore

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are NRL contracts structured like they are in US sports in terms of guaranteed money? Like Haas signs 10M for 10yrs but how much of it is guaranteed?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Agreed. Don't know any such contract that has worked out in any football code.

On the other hand, this could be an indication of what the numbers are out there coming from other clubs. If it forces Bonkos into a 10 year contract that can only be good for the other clubs though.

I'm happy that our club is drawing a line when it comes to player contracts and not throwing panic money+contract lengths out there.
I think the NFL has had a few 10 year deals but I don't follow it. Can't think of any in European Football, Buddy at the Swans is another..

Imagine if he wants out in a few years? Rival clubs will love that.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if Haas is smart, he will do what DCE did and contract for increases in his wage IF the salary cap markedly rises... who knows what the cap will be in 7-8 years time

for both parties though, it is too long a commitment

where exactly are the Broncos getting the money for this again?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't understand why clubs would sign these 10 year deals, seems ridiculous.
Because they're desperate. These deals never work out well. I didn't think he was ever leaving as they'd do everything, even a crazy offer like this, to keep him..

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Media two years in- master stroke from Brisbane as he’s game’s leading forward and will only get better.
Media five years in- Brisbane trying to offload Haas as new superstar forward emerges In playing ranks

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think the NFL has had a few 10 year deals but I don't follow it. Can't think of any in European Football, Buddy at the Swans is another..

Imagine if he wants out in a few years? Rival clubs will love that.
Yeah Patrick Mahomes signed one recently. But he's worth it and most other deals are way shorter and in the teams favour where they can cut guys in the later years with no guaranteed money.