Broadcast schedule gives some teams an unfair advantage

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just looking at our free to air games this year, we have 5 free to air games, where as a team like the broncos get 15!

How is this fair for the other teams who are trying to grow their fan base but rarely get seen on TV.

Clubs should come together and demand fairer broadcast scheduling.

I know there's things such as kayo, but most people who don't have team to follow yet will be seeing what evers on free to air. And the more they see of one team the more likely they are to follow that team.

Brisbane -15
Eels - 15
Storm - 14
Panthers - 13
Rabbitohs - 13
Roosters - 12
Tigers - 11
Manly - 10
Saints - 10
Knights - 9
Cowboys - 9
Canberra - 7
Sharks - 6
Titans - 6
Bulldogs - 5
Auckland - 3

Last edited:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just looking at our free to air games this year, we have 5 free to air games, where as a team like the broncos get 15!

How is this fair for the other teams who are trying to grow their fan base but rarely get seen on TV.

I know there's things such as kayo, but most people who don't have team to follow yet will be seeing what evers on free to air. And the more they see of one team the more likely they are to follow that team.
Exactly right. Very lop sided coverage and lop sided promotion of each member of the NRL.

Coverage should be evened out to boost all teams for the general health of rugby league but of course NRL/9 can't organise it fairly.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly right. Very lop sided coverage and lop sided promotion of each member of the NRL.

Coverage should be evened out to boost all teams for the general health of rugby league but of course NRL/9 can't organise it fairly.
Nrl seem to think only one team is worthy of the fans affections due to the ratings they get, they don't seem to see if they help the other teams flourish the game will be stronger over all, any the fan base will grow where it needs to, rather than just in Brisbane.

I live in brissy, and I've met many people who say I used to support such and such but now I support the broncos..... I wonder why???

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Broncos are the whole of Brisbane and have more supporters, whereas we're (and other clubs) are a part of Sydney and we're not expected to do well going into the season. It's all about ratings and making money. If we're expected to be more successful we'll get more free to air games but location and supporter base is also important. Our numbers have gone done dramatically over the last 3 years.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brisbane -15
Eels - 15
Storm - 14
Panthers - 13
Rabbitohs - 13
Roosters - 12
Tigers - 11
Manly - 10
Saints - 10
Knights - 9
Cowboys - 9
Canberra - 7
Sharks - 6
Titans - 6
Bulldogs - 5
Auckland - 3

Last edited:

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The donkeys always get a Friday night game as it rates in Brisbane = more advertising dollars. David Gyngell (Channel Nein) said it years ago "when we purchase the rights to broadcast Rugby League, we can broadcast it how we want". I've heard the same thing from Raiders mates for years and they have a point. The less free to air your jersey see's the less value it is for advertisers.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
to be fair to the league and the broadcasters, the 'Dogs have been awful to watch from an entertainment standpoint for 6-7 years

and hopefully, the Barrett era is going to change all that

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Brisbane -15
Eels - 15
Storm - 14
Panthers - 13
Rabbitohs - 13
Roosters - 12
Tigers - 11
Manly - 10
Saints - 10
Knights - 9
Cowboys - 9
Canberra - 7
Sharks - 6
Titans - 6
Bulldogs - 5
Auckland - 3
Broncos have always benefited from exposure on fta. They are apparently "a rating bonanza" for Nine and that is what it boils down to. Seems those north of the border love watching the game from the lounge and they are accommodated in spades by Nine.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is what happens when the NRL keep selling the rights for pennies on the dollar to 9 each time and let them dictate nearly everything in regards to scheduling.

The Broncos getting 15 out of 24 games on 9 when they were wooden spooners is laughable but it comes as no surprise as it's been going on for decades. Not to mention the competitive advantage they get from having a week between games each round as they always play on Friday.

What's more confounding is bottom eight teams like Saints and the Tigers getting double the free to air games that we get even though both teams got worse this season and we always rate well whether we're successful or not. So there's zero logic there..

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ever heard the saying "if you're good enough, your close enough" ???????
Donkies always get a monopoly on fta games in qld, but generally the lower the ladder position, the less fta games you're gonna get.
Want more fta, win more games, simple as that

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Nothing new here still the same amateur run sport with no shame to push their agendas to make more money

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I work nights so the more Saturday games the better in my world

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Broncos have always benefited from exposure on fta. They are apparently "a rating bonanza" for Nine and that is what it boils down to. Seems those north of the border love watching the game from the lounge and they are accommodated in spades by Nine.
I wonder what the monetary value of lost revenue would be if the nrl sold the rights based on their preferred schedule rather than channel nines?

Could the pros outweigh the cons?

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Want more fta, win more games, simple as that
Spot on and it’s why they leave the schedule for later in the season open until it’s clear who’s travelling well and likely to feature prominently at the business end. How many FTA games were the slimy Eels given in 2019 when they won the spoon in 2018? I bet the Panthers FTA games are a higher count this year than in 2019 too. It’s a results business unless you have a monopoly market like Brisbane or Townsville.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I work nights so the more Saturday games the better in my world
Yeah it fits my world as well. But I get the point of the thread. But I also understand why the NRL do it it’s just numbers which we would all do if we were running a business.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Is what it is. Think we were only scheduled for buggar all before covid last year too.
Broncos will always get more for obvious reasons. We'll just have to wait till we start climbing the ladder again.
Besides, how much 9 commentary can one take.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Canberra did well despite their poor coverage on prime time.