Brian smith quits as U.S coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The United States squad is in disarray only weeks out from the start of the rugby league World Cup after head coach Brian Smith reportedly quit.

Fairfax Media is reporting on Thursday night that former NRL coach Smith has resigned due to a family matter.

He is the second coach to withdraw from the job after current Warriors coach Matthew Elliott left in August.

"There's just been something come up that I really couldn't miss, unfortunately," Smith said.

Despite the coaching drama, United States selectors named their 24-man World Cup squad on Thursday.

Former Hull KR favourite Clint Newton and ex-Castleford half-back Ryan McGoldrick, who was on Thursday released by Salford, are among those named in the squad, which contains 10 players born in America.

Newton, who was born in South Carolina while his golfing father Jack was competing in the 1981 US Open, spent four seasons with Hull KR before returning to his Australian club Penrith for 2012.

Captain Joseph Paulo, 25, and older brother Junior are among the NRL-based players.

The Tomahawks are due to play a warm-up match against France in Toulouse on October 18 before opening their campaign against Cook Islands at the Memorial Stadium, Bristol, on October 30. They also play Wales and Scotland in their first World Cup.

Squad: Mark Cantoni (Dalby), Andrew Durutalo (USA Eagles), Bureta Faraimo (Mackay Cutters), Gabriel Farley (Southampton Dragons), Kristian Freed (Connecticut Wildcats), Mike Garvey (Ipswich Jets), Roman Hifo (Mangere East Hawks, New Zealand), Danny Howard (Wentworthville), Stephen Howard (Tuggeranong Vikings), Luke Hume (New York Knights), Judah Lavulo (Cabramatta), Joel Luani (Wests Tigers), David Marando (Belrose), Ryan McGoldrick (Salford), Clint Newton (Penrith), Mark Offerdahl (Connecticut Wildcats), Joseph Paulo (Penrith, capt), Junior Paulo (Parramatta), Craig Priestly (Southampton Dragons), Matt Petersen (Cudgen Hornets), Tui Samoa (Redcliffe Dolphins), Matt Shipway (Newcastle), Les Soloai, Lelauloto Tagaloa (Hawaii Chiefs).

As Barack Obama would say what a jackass

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Rofl who would coach the US in rugby league, it must of been very frustrating and scary getting ready to be destroyed by better teams...

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walked out on the eels, I think the knights.. Got sacked by the chooks. Let's not mention he's won no grand finals.. I wonder how the **** the us team didn't walk out on this clown.

Brian was probably scared of his losing his perceived rep. You would think the guy would be accustomed to losing by now.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I just hope this failed coach is not being considered for another NRL stint.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh no! Now the US don't have a chance to win the world cup!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Smith got a call from Parra and needs an NRL lifeline.

captain dropbut

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
the paulo boys have Americian Samoa heritage so could play for samoa nz or USA

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder if he would quit the Aus job if something came up.

Status
Not open for further replies.