Braydon Trindall

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
When we had Reynolds and Keating, it worked pretty well with two 5/8's. But that year we were playing hot potato football with passing options for everyone who ran the ball. Our pack was a bit of a juggernaut on top of that. So with the right players and game plan, it's not entirely necessary to have a great "traditional" halfback.

I think the idea of traditional halfbacks is largely on the way out now. There just aren't many coming through the system for some reason. My guess would be that the juniors systems in place tend to foster athletes rather than players with the creativity and smarts.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His Father, even though he's a scumbag by all accounts, got our attack going before Shifty stepped in. That was in 2001.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
23 aint looking real good and 24 and beyond at this stage doesn’t look much better, we are so far away the top 6 teams in talent across the park and depth it isnt funny

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When we had Reynolds and Keating, it worked pretty well with two 5/8's. But that year we were playing hot potato football with passing options for everyone who ran the ball. Our pack was a bit of a juggernaut on top of that. So with the right players and game plan, it's not entirely necessary to have a great "traditional" halfback.

I think the idea of traditional halfbacks is largely on the way out now. There just aren't many coming through the system for some reason. My guess would be that the juniors systems in place tend to foster athletes rather than players with the creativity and smarts.
The Dog's best HBs over the last 40 years - Sherwin and the one and only Turvey had great running games in addition to great passing and kicking. The need for a "traditional halfback" regularly quoted on TK is an ideology - many of those people think if a player has a good running game he somehow can't "organise". A HB with no running game is very predictable and essentially dead weight and a bottleneck on the team's attack.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Dog's best HBs over the last 40 years - Sherwin and the one and only Turvey had great running games in addition to great passing and kicking. The need for a "traditional halfback" regularly quoted on TK is an ideology - many of those people think if a player has a good running game he somehow can't "organise". A HB with no running game is very predictable and essentially dead weight and a bottleneck on the team's attack.
Yep, I agree totally. If our current halfback had a running game he’d be a different player altogether and would add a lot of value to our team.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yep, I agree totally. If our current halfback had a running game he’d be a different player altogether and would add a lot of value to our team.
Be great if he could develop a running game but can he also develop a passing and kicking game at the same time …

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Calm down he ain’t like shifty at all.

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Be great if he could develop a running game but can he also develop a passing and kicking game at the same time …
If only fkn lol Flanno is so slow off the mark and has the footwork of an 80 year old woman

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Be a great pick up, the sooner we move in from flanno the better we will all be, the worst week ever is still better when that smug face isn’t in the picture

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lot of people on TK are wanting a 7 with a strong running and passing game, the only team that really has a 7 like that is the Storm with Hughes.

Watching the top teams their 7’s mostly have average to good running and passing games, their strongest asset is managing the game and steering their players around the park through their kicking game, the running and passing game generally comes from the 6 9 13

Shifty Sherwin was a huge threat because he could put it on a string, his biggest asset wasn’t running or passing it was his boot.

That’s a glaring problem for us, we don’t have a 7 thats lethal with the boot, and a 7 that can’t kick is as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Most of you will probably say that’s Burtons job, when you have the biggest boot in the game it would be stupid not to use it, if that’s the case bite the bullet and move him to 7 where he’s fully in charge of our kicking game, he also has a good running game, Burton to 7 and put KO in the 6.

If Burton stays in the 6 I don’t want him fully in charge of our kicking game, at 6 he should be focused on his strong running game and setting up players around him, he can randomly put up the huge bomb here and there and pop one down for the occasional 40/20 when he likes, and it won’t be so telegraphed because teams will be focused on the 7 doing the kicking.

I can tolerate a 7 with an average running & passing game, want I want is a 7 that’s brilliant with the boot.

2023 Av #7 kick metres.

Moses 600.00
Cleary 424.65
Reynolds 518.35
Hughes 314.70
Trindall 415.15
Ilias 277.60

Flanagan 104.60

Flano’s is probably low because Burto has the kicking duties, is Flano good enough to be handed the keys to our kicking game?

Flano’s not a 21/22 year old kid anymore, he’s 24, for the whole of 2022 he only averaged 77.9, as a 7 he needs to be averaging high 300’s every game, if he’s not, move over & give someone else a turn.

Those calling for KO to slot in at 7 …… how’s his kicking game ?

How lethal could a left edge of JAC, Allamoti, Kikau & KO be, Burton on the right in 7 controlling our kicking game gives us big weapons on both sides of the field and makes sense.

Last edited:

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I would have been happy for a stop gap solution for one year, until we find a long term solution. Basically anyone but Flanno, even with our wins last season he was not a factor in those wins apart from the Manly game but again that wasn’t down to a classy controlling performance, it was support play and defence.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has a team ever won a comp without a genuine halfback?

I don’t think we’re in a position to reinvent the wheel.

We’ve bought wingers to play centre

centre to play fullback

centre to play 6

flanagan to play 7

And it hasn’t worked. We just need a proper halfback and better middles to make a difference
I saw the Qlder TV show last week and Darren Lockyer said what most people agree with, the teams that win Competitions have a great Halfback, whilst we have Flanagan, we are going to struggle. He's not up to standard. We need a Halfback that also has plenty of confidence, then the team will follow them. Whilst we have Flanagan, teams will know, forget about going after him, Burton almost always is our Kicker.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lot of people on TK are wanting a 7 with a strong running and passing game, the only team that really has a 7 like that is the Storm with Hughes.

Watching the top teams their 7’s mostly have average to good running and passing games, their strongest asset is managing the game and steering their players around the park through their kicking game, the running and passing game generally comes from the 6 9 13

Shifty Sherwin was a huge threat because he could put it on a string, his biggest asset wasn’t running or passing it was his boot.

That’s a glaring problem for us, we don’t have a 7 thats lethal with the boot, and a 7 that can’t kick is as useless as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Most of you will probably say that’s Burtons job, when you have the biggest boot in the game it would be stupid not to use it, if that’s the case bite the bullet and move him to 7 where he’s fully in charge of our kicking game, he also has a good running game, Burton to 7 and put KO in the 6.

If Burton stays in the 6 I don’t want him fully in charge of our kicking game, at 6 he should be focused on his strong running game and setting up players around him, he can randomly put up the huge bomb here and there and pop one down for the occasional 40/20 when he likes, and it won’t be so telegraphed because teams will be focused on the 7 doing the kicking.

I can tolerate a 7 with an average running & passing game, want I want is a 7 that’s brilliant with the boot.

2023 Av #7 kick metres.

Moses 600.00
Cleary 424.65
Reynolds 518.35
Hughes 314.70
Trindall 415.15
Ilias 277.60

Flanagan 104.60

Flano’s is probably low because Burto has the kicking duties, is Flano good enough to be handed the keys to our kicking game?

Flano’s not a 21/22 year old kid anymore, he’s 24, for the whole of 2022 he only averaged 77.9, as a 7 he needs to be averaging high 300’s every game, if he’s not, move over & give someone else a turn.

Those calling for KO to slot in at 7 …… how’s his kicking game ?

How lethal could a left edge of JAC, Allamoti, Kikau & KO be, Burton on the right in 7 controlling our kicking game gives us big weapons on both sides of the field and makes sense.
Umm..what? Cleary, Hynes, Moses, Hunt, DCE and Walker all have strong running games and passing games.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm..what? Cleary, Hynes, Moses, Hunt, DCE and Walker all have strong running games and passing games.
That’s all you took from that comment?

Yes they have a running and passing game, as most players do, the point is it’s not their strongest asset, their kicking game is.

Burton has the boot, the running game and can improve on his passing, why wouldn’t he make a good 7 for us & put KO in at 6 who’d have Kikau & JAC looking after him.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would have been happy for a stop gap solution for one year, until we find a long term solution. Basically anyone but Flanno, even with our wins last season he was not a factor in those wins apart from the Manly game but again that wasn’t down to a classy controlling performance, it was support play and defence.
The Panthers player we should have been going after was Sean O’Sullivan ..

Played 11 games in 2022 and kicked an average of 354.35, I thought he handled 7 really well while Cleary was out.

Bennett was smart enough to grab him.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

Yes they have a running and passing game, as most players do, the point is it’s not their strongest asset, their kicking game is.

Burton has the boot, the running game and can improve on his passing, why wouldn’t he make a good 7 for us & put KO in at 6 who’d have Kikau & JAC looking after him.
There are no halves worth signing available (unless we 180 on Moses) and with Oloapu close to being NRL ready Burton will most likely be our halfback. It's our best option and I think it'll work out but we're the Bulldogs and we're cursed so...

There are not a lot of genuine halfbacks left (e.g. Cronk playstyle), if any, it's a dying breed. 2 five-eighths is the way to go for most teams unless you can find the next Cleary (and he can also run).

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Burton is not a halfback, not even close. His kicking game is overrated and his ballplaying is severely lacking. Burton isn't it, at least he isn't right now.