Rumour Brandon smith done deal

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think gus would say completely the opposite. He is a massive fan of grass roots rugby league, and expanding its horizons to new areas of the map. Your words would never come out of his mouth!
That being said, I highly doubt Gus will be trading any player that we shouldn't keep, for another player we want.
You are entitled to your opinion of course, but can you answer me this... Why is grassroots Rugby League suffering and on the decline in NSW & QLD yet manufactured teams like Melbourne Storm who produce zero grass roots players thrive and win premiership after premiership? How can that be allowed to continue in this tough competitive market? People who have allowed this to happen are cutting off their nose to spite their face ffs! Gus is more traditional than you think, what he may say in front of a camera I believe would be totally contradictory to what he say’s away from it. Victoria as a state has done nothing to help grassroots Rugby League in their state despite the fact the NRL have done their best to give them a very successful NRL team and one that has had a long lasting legacy since their inception in 1998. What have they shown for such a reward??? One local Victorian juniour Mahe Fonua, give me a break!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You are entitled to your opinion of course, but can you answer me this... Why is grassroots Rugby League suffering and on the decline in NSW & QLD yet manufactured teams like Melbourne Storm who produce zero grass roots players thrive and win premiership after premiership? How can that be allowed to continue in this tough competitive market? People who have allowed this to happen are cutting off their nose to spite their face ffs! Gus is more traditional than you think, what he may say in front of a camera I believe would be totally contradictory to what he say’s away from it. Victoria as a state has done nothing to help grassroots Rugby League in their state despite the fact the NRL have done their best to give them a very successful NRL team and one that has had a long lasting legacy since their inception in 1998. What have they shown for such a reward??? One local Victorian juniour Mahe Fonua, give me a break!
I highly doubt that. Gus speaks his mind always, and doesn't give a fuck if he ruffles some feathers along the way.
Having a team in Melbourne generates an interest in the sport in an otherwise AFL only state. It provides an opportunity for the game to grow down there. Especially is the storm are successful, like they are. If they were perennially shit then it would be a waste of time, but they're not.
Do you remember when it used to be NSWRL, and only Sydney teams? The game has continued to grow since then due to expanding its reaches. The game needs more of this in order to grow the talent pool.
Saying this, I dont think we need a new team right now, but on a whole, the game needs teams in places like Melbourne if it is ever going to grow.
In any case, this is not really the point. You said, "if I was Gus I would say", and I simply suggested that it was something he would never say.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My one is better tbh.

1. JAC
2. Cotric
3. Averillo (GK)
4. Schoupp
5. Naden
6. Burton
7. BBO
8. Vaughan
9. Smith
10. Thompson
11. Jackson (C)
12. RFM
13. TPJ

14. Ava
15. Hetherington
16. Patolo
17. Topine
What a gun backrow

Costa84

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top 4 material

Pay The Cheese
1. Dufty
2. Fox
3. Scouop
4. Naden
5. Cotric
6. Burton (gk)
7. BBO
8. Herrington
9. Smith
10. Vaughn
11. Jackson (c)
12. Tpj
13. Thompson

14. Avo/jmk
15. Ava
16. Elliott
17. Another prop ?

I'm getting horny.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I highly doubt that. Gus speaks his mind always, and doesn't give a fuck if he ruffles some feathers along the way.
Having a team in Melbourne generates an interest in the sport in an otherwise AFL only state. It provides an opportunity for the game to grow down there. Especially is the storm are successful, like they are. If they were perennially shit then it would be a waste of time, but they're not.
Do you remember when it used to be NSWRL, and only Sydney teams? The game has continued to grow since then due to expanding its reaches. The game needs more of this in order to grow the talent pool.
Saying this, I dont think we need a new team right now, but on a whole, the game needs teams in places like Melbourne if it is ever going to grow.
In any case, this is not really the point. You said, "if I was Gus I would say", and I simply suggested that it was something he would never say.
Look at you guys arguing about what’s inside Gus brain and how he thinks

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Look at you guys arguing about what’s inside Gus brain and how he thinks
It’s not an arguement, it’s a conversation... something you do not have the ability to perform! Yep only smartass one sentence statements is all you can handle Belmore :tearsofjoy:

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s not an arguement, it’s a conversation... something you do not have the ability to perform! Yep only smartass one sentence statements is all you can handle Belmore :tearsofjoy:
Well when one of you says one thing, and the other says a different view then that means it’s an argument. Next time you can address me as the bus driver because I’m taking you to school.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne are successful as they are better in every area then most clubs. They do develop juniors they just aren’t originally from Melbourne. They have been smart to base their feeder clubs and academy’s etc in South east Queensland where they know there will be meaningful competition week in week out and away from Sydney where there is a magnitude of NRL clubs whom
Are competing for the same players. This is smart business. I also respect that the Storm don’t buy super stars players. They either identify and develop young talent , or buy fringe first graders or journey men and turn them into regular improved first graders through their brilliant coaching and systems. I challenge anyone to name more that 2 or 3 superstars they have signed from other clubs in the last 10 years. I can’t think of 1 in all honesty.

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Melbourne are successful as they are better in every area then most clubs. They do develop juniors they just aren’t originally from Melbourne. They have been smart to base their feeder clubs and academy’s etc in South east Queensland where they know there will be meaningful competition week in week out and away from Sydney where there is a magnitude of NRL clubs whom
Are competing for the same players. This is smart business. I also respect that the Storm don’t buy super stars players. They either identify and develop young talent , or buy fringe first graders or journey men and turn them into regular improved first graders through their brilliant coaching and systems. I challenge anyone to name more that 2 or 3 superstars they have signed from other clubs in the last 10 years. I can’t think of 1 in all honesty.
Sam Kasiano was a superstar when he signed for them

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Broncos being so shit for a few years has helped Melbourne in recruiting from SE Qld, but they will have competition when the new team is announced (my guess Redcliffe Dolphins).

Always a Bulldog

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam Kasiano was a superstar when he signed for them
Sam was in decline in all honesty when he went there. I agree 2 years earlier he was a superstar . But sadly we let him go for a reason . As I said on my original post name 2 or 3 superstars

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the Storm being there has been a contributing fact to the Broncos demise along with the Titans having an extended presence close buy. There are now 3 teams taking players from that South Eastern Queensland corridor as opposed to when the Broncos had the whole zone to them selves essentially .

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Old flog Buzz on the Telegraph NRL podcast: He won’t be going to the dogs, he’s at Winx odds of staying at Melbourne.
At least we know Buzz doesn’t trawl through the Kennel.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
NRL tonight, you would swear its only out of storm and roosters to get the cheese, no mention of bulldogs snaring him. Roosters will have to pay up big for Manu also.
It's what you'd expect with Matt Russell (Rooster lover) running the show.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brandon smith has agreed to terms with the dogs not official yet but Brandon has agreed dogs are close to coming to an agreement with Melbourne. All will be announced after season completion. Dogs have put in an unmatchable offer
He's fucked if Melbourne say no.