Rumour Brandon smith done deal

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Apparently media reports are saying Smith has rejected a 3 year deal @800k a season from the Storm.
There’s no way we’d want to splurge more then that to get him at Belmore. For that kind of cash I’d be wanting Harry Grant not B Smith
~730k being reported. 900k's a decent amount more. From what he's said he genuinely wants to play hooker which the Storm can't offer him with Grant.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And if it's true about the option for '23 with Grant being agreed upon(only what i read don't know if it's correct)then of course he will leave, 850k+ looks likely for sure and i'd nearly go 4 years but guessing the Storm will want him to play out 2022 3 yrs would likely be the go from '23 onwards.
Get it done Gussy :grinning:

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You Gotta remember that if it costs us $850k to get him it doesn't mean it's $850k on the cap.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently media reports are saying Smith has rejected a 3 year deal @800k a season from the Storm.
There’s no way we’d want to splurge more then that to get him at Belmore.
Why did he reject it? Does it truly have to be ONLY the $800k? Maybe it was the 3 years, when he wanted 4 and would have taken $700k for 4 years. Could be his preference was 3 years + 1 year player option. Maybe he wanted the hooker role guaranteed. Maybe he wanted a boat bigger than CSmith’s. It’s a bit simplistic to just assume that he wanted more $’s per year.

Always a Bulldog

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why did he reject it? Does it truly have to be ONLY the $800k? Maybe it was the 3 years, when he wanted 4 and would have taken $700k for 4 years. Could be his preference was 3 years + 1 year player option. Maybe he wanted the hooker role guaranteed. Maybe he wanted a boat bigger than CSmith’s. It’s a bit simplistic to just assume that he wanted more $’s per year.

Always a Bulldog
Pretty sure he wants the full time number 9

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Smith is a great player but 900k plus is too much.. We're better off letting other teams use up all of their cap space by getting into bidding wars for Smith, Gutherson, Matterson, Campbell-Gillard, Paulo etc and making shrewd signings on whoever is left.

I'd rather sign one of the Brailey brothers for 350-400k than 900k or $1 million on Smith. And let's be real.. He was never signing with us. Melbourne, Redcliffe, Gold Coast or the Roosters would all be ahead of us.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assume a deal is done somewhere, find out soon enough i guess, must be good to knock back that sort of money at the Storm

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I’d happily give him a 4 year deal. Blokes a gun. I was originally very optimistic we would land him. Now think dolphins or Titans sadly.

Reecek89

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think people are underestimating how big a signing it would be for us to land him. Not just on the field, but membership numbers and I’m sure sponsors would love having their name all over a Cheese jersey, just like with Ado-Carr.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Assume a deal is done somewhere, find out soon enough i guess, must be good to knock back that sort of money at the Storm
It doesn't have to be about money, there's a good chance Melbourne wouldn't guarantee him first dibs at hooker, unless Grant is moving early. Whereas almost any other team will, so he might take less money for a guaranteed hooker gig. Or he might want 4 years and he will take less money for the extra year. Or he might only want 2 years and then he has the option for 1 or 2 more. So if he doesn't like the team he is only stuck there for 2 years. Of course the media will only talk about money but there plenty of other reasons why players do not take the highest $ offer.

Always a Bulldog

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think people are underestimating how big a signing it would be for us to land him. Not just on the field, but membership numbers and I’m sure sponsors would love having their name all over a Cheese jersey, just like with Ado-Carr.
Agree.

I’d happily throw dwz 400k we meant to get off cap this season. With rfm and Stimson $.

Promote/sign depth and there’s at least a mil for Brandon.

Give him 4 years.

With him and burton we are built for
Future.

Use the other $ we have off cap from Vaughan dufty wakeham whatever’s left from Elliott to get a position we need.

Probably see Flanagan and Allen moved on.

Jackson retire sooner than later.

All of a sudden we are really well set up.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Agree.

I’d happily throw dwz 400k we meant to get off cap this season. With rfm and Stimson $.

Promote/sign depth and there’s at least a mil for Brandon.

Give him 4 years.

With him and burton we are built for
Future.

Use the other $ we have off cap from Vaughan dufty wakeham whatever’s left from Elliott to get a position we need.

Probably see Flanagan and Allen moved on.

Jackson retire sooner than later.

All of a sudden we are really well set up.
You pay $900k for Brandon Smith we are not “really well setup”. We’ll pay for it somewhere when we can’t make an offer for other player(s we want to recruit or keep.

Over paying players just to get them is something we’ve hopefully learnt from…. actually have learnt from. Because Gus won’t do it.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alongside the Titans, it has been said the North Queensland Cowboys and Redcliffe Dolphins have also submitted offers for Smith on the first day they were able to.

Smith's agent, Stan Martin, refused to confirm the fourth team, or who a mystery fifth team were that they expected to reach out with an offer today.

“The Titans were the first team to reach out this morning, and the Dolphins weren’t far behind,” Martin confirmed to the publication.

“We’ve spoken to four teams I thought would be interested, which is all of them except the one I’m after.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alongside the Titans, it has been said the North Queensland Cowboys and Redcliffe Dolphins have also submitted offers for Smith on the first day they were able to.

Smith's agent, Stan Martin, refused to confirm the fourth team, or who a mystery fifth team were that they expected to reach out with an offer today.

“The Titans were the first team to reach out this morning, and the Dolphins weren’t far behind,” Martin confirmed to the publication.

“We’ve spoken to four teams I thought would be interested, which is all of them except the one I’m after.
Roosters will be one..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

We’ve spoken to four teams I thought would be interested, which is all of them "except the one I’m after."
We’ve spoken to four teams I thought would be interested, which is all of them "except the one I’m after."
What's that supposed to mean :grinning: