Brandon Smith contract news: Storm grants star early release

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grant wouldn't make the 17 if C. Smith played on. It'd be C. Smith/B. Smith which is what they've gone with for the last 2 years. That's also part of the reason why Grant was loaned out this year (if C. Smith plays on they lose Grant). C. Smith plays 80 minutes and B. Smith is better off the bench due to his versatility and playstyle. C. Smith won't be at the Storm next year and he's already hinted as much.
agreed... Grant is the better hooker in comparison to Brandon Smith but B. Smith is better suited to the role off the bench in the situation where Cameron Smith is the starting hooker because of his ability to play as a running forward and defence

and Grant does not provide enough point of difference with C. Smith to justify his selection on the bench like, for example, a Buderus/Wing combo did for NSW

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
agreed... Grant is the better hooker in comparison to Brandon Smith but B. Smith is better suited to the role off the bench in the situation where Cameron Smith is the starting hooker because of his ability to play as a running forward and defence

and Grant does not provide enough point of difference with C. Smith to justify his selection on the bench like, for example, a Buderus/Wing combo did for NSW
And it isn't really about having an opinion about it because this is literally how the Storm have lined up over the last 2 years when Grant was available, he was loaned out this year for this exact reason. C. Smith won't be at the Storm next year so they can keep Grant so it's a mute point anyways.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fark me JAC and BSMITH at the club would be some culture shock to the club.

Flanagan from the roosters
Penrith's next big thing
Melbourne's buzz around the club
Waddell and Hetho as the fringe graders

Add Thommo and Cotric.. Dead set buying premierships lol.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Penrith's next big thing

With so many players off contract and unlikely to be at the dogs after 2021, There will be a lot more player turnover next year too.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with this 100%. I like and want the Cheese at Belmore but if we had to pick Brandon or Harry it would be Harry all day long. He will own the Qld and Australian 9 as long as he keeps playing the way he is. Scary thing is I reckon he has plenty of improvement left..

But Harry is not an option so "COME ON DOWN MR CHEESE"...
Maybe Harry is coming to us, the cheese is a smokescreen. Or maybe not still a good dream to have.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Penrith's next big thing

About time we played like the rest haha I want a premiership

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Maybe but its career suicide for Brandon. Madge is a flop and so are the Tigers.

I doubt they're that close either, Madge has already dropped him once lol.
Plus how much longer will the Kiwis have Madge as coach?

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grant wouldn't make the 17 if C. Smith played on. It'd be C. Smith/B. Smith which is what they've gone with for the last 2 years. That's also part of the reason why Grant was loaned out this year (if C. Smith plays on they lose Grant). C. Smith plays 80 minutes and B. Smith is better off the bench due to his versatility and playstyle. C. Smith won't be at the Storm next year and he's already hinted as much.
Grant won’t miss out on any 17 he’s available for ever again

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Grant won’t miss out on any 17 he’s available for ever again
IF C. Smith is at the Storm next year (he isn't) than Grant would miss out (at the Storm) imo, which is what I'm replying to.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's cool, you got your opinion and so do I so we will agree to disagree. I just think that after his breakout season, Grant will not be left out of the 17 again - the guy is a star and my scenario was based on "IF" Cameron Smith goes around again for the Storm, admittedly that's a BIG IF.
100% I agree.
No way Grant is left out of the 17 whether C.Smith plays on or not. Anyone that thinks otherwise has rocks in their head.
After giving him a year at the tigers to play FG and to get his experience, he showed the entire NRL what he can do plus his performance in origin has confirmed he can mix it and go toe to toe with the best. That's why the storm are the best operators, that year away at the tigers worked in their benefit. Now he's ready and don't the storm know it.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
100% I agree.
No way Grant is left out of the 17 whether C.Smith plays on or not. Anyone that thinks otherwise has rocks in their head.
After giving him a year at the tigers to play FG and to get his experience, he showed the entire NRL what he can do plus his performance in origin has confirmed he can mix it and go toe to toe with the best. That's why the storm are the best operators, that year away at the tigers worked in their benefit. Now he's ready and don't the storm know it.
Not true. It's either C. Smith or Grant and either decision doesn't affect B. Smith, he's going regardless. Grant has a clause in his contract if C. Smith plays on at the Storm, I wonder why. This whole discussion was about IF C. Smith played on (he isn't because they need to future proof with Grant), Grant would be at another club if so as he wouldn't make the Storm's 17 over C. Smith who'd start at 9 and B. Smith who would be a forward off the bench, a role he can play better than Grant obviously. This is how the Storm lined up in 2019 and it's even further the truth when they loaned Grant out this year to get game time.

Last edited:

LambCurry

Waterboy
Reaction score
Agree with this 100%. I like and want the Cheese at Belmore but if we had to pick Brandon or Harry it would be Harry all day long. He will own the Qld and Australian 9 as long as he keeps playing the way he is. Scary thing is I reckon he has plenty of improvement left..

But Harry is not an option so "COME ON DOWN MR CHEESE"...
Naah bro, Brandon has got bulldog written all over him, he even looks like a bulldog, but plays with the tenacity that is the Bulldogs style.
Harry in all probability will go on to be the next Australian hooker such is his ability is not in the mould of bulldog hookers past such as Corey Hughes, Adam Perry, Jason Hetherington, Jim Sedaris, Polla-Mounter and of course Mick Ennis.What did they all have in common? Well they all resembled an actual bulldog: shortish, stocky and mongrel tenacity. The dog in the fight, the **** that niggled and practiced the dark arts sledging cheap shots disguised as accidents.
Brandon Smith is on a leash at Melbourne and Barret should move heaven and Earth to get that mutt Brandon Smith to Belmore where he fucken belongs. Nuff said.