Brandon Smith contract news: Storm grants star early release

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah, so we should pass on him because instead of being the AUS hooker, he's the NZ hooker... I can't fathom some people. We're in top eight contention with a signing like this, but nah, let's pass because he celebrated winning a grand final... this is a common trend with any good player we're linked too. The next best at this stage (if even available) is a massive step down from B. Smith (McInnes, B. Brailey, whoever).
Brady, it's not just his celebration after the GF. It's because he is a deadset alco who's been partying like this since he was 16.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Brady, it's not just his celebration after the GF. It's because he is a deadset alco who's been partying like this since he was 16.
He is a loose goose but so was most of the 2004 team.. Sometimes you need these blokes around in the change room.

He is a good get, espescially if we somehow swap Elliot or Lewis for him.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The analogy doesn't work tbh. Munster is a proven performer at this point, he wouldn't be a gamble.
He may have only become a proven performer in the last 1/2 dozen years or so -
But he has always been a bit of a ratbag, especially in his younger years & that didn't phase Bellamy to give him a shot.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon Smith lacks the creativity that we need. No doubt he's s a very tough and competitive player with strong dummy half darts.....but No kicking game and his service isn't that great. I think playing for a successful team like the Storm overshadows some of his deficiencies.
Bellamy preferring a rookie like Grant over Smith who's been the heir to Melbournes number 9 postion for a while says that he doesn't rate him.
Agree!!!
They can keep the cheese and let us have Grant

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe go watch B. Smith's interview with Kemp on Bloke In A Bar, he's changed a lot (thanks to the Storm/Bellamy) and he's dead set a legend. The exact type of bloke I want in my team that's lacking some/any personality. Get in. Looking at the player I personally think B. Smith will be a better buy for us than what Koroisau was for Penrith. I don't really care what he was doing when he was 16 and he's a changed person imo (still crazy, but good crazy).

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He may have only become a proven performer in the last 1/2 dozen years or so -
But he has always been a bit of a ratbag, especially in his younger years & that didn't phase Bellamy to give him a shot.
Bellamy has the aura that makes dickheads pull their heads in. Although I feel like Baz could also be a great man manager, hopefully like Bennett

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He has a strong running game but his service is very poor.

Mahoney is far better than him right now.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Conspiracy Theory

- The Storm say many conditions apply to the early release of B. Smith for 2022.
- The Bulldogs want Foxx & Cheese asap & can probably afford them this year.

Solution
- Look for Foxx & the club to confirm he is joining us from 2022 very soon.
Next - The Bulldogs propose a deal after this announcement that sends 1 or 2 contracted players to the Storm in return for the Foxx to join us a season early for 2021 in conjunction with allowing B. Smith to us in 2022. This new deal could somehow negate Foxx heads of agreement with Tigers.

Variable
- If Cameron Smith decides to play one more year at the Storm, then B.Smith can come to us in 2021.

The only thing that still has me stumped in all of this is the early release of R. Smith to the Storm for nothing in return. As this seems so ridiculous, It makes me think that there is already some agreement in place behind the scene that can not be revealed with Remis going over, & I believe it involves the whole Foxx Heads Of Agreement thing & finding a way around it.

That's one conspiracy theory anyway.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I heard that Brandon Smith is eyeing the Roosters. Jake Friend won’t be around in 2022 and the Roosters might target him. I can’t see the Dogs being an option.
he wont go to the roosters, he will want to go to a club where he is guaranteed the hooker spot. The roosters he isn't

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Conspiracy Theory

- The Storm say many conditions apply to the early release of B. Smith for 2022.

Solution
Next - The Bulldogs propose a deal after this announcement that sends 1 or 2 contracted players to the Storm in return for the Foxx to join us a season early for 2021 in conjunction with allowing B. Smith to us in 2022. This new deal could somehow negate Foxx heads of agreement with Tigers.

Variable
- If Cameron Smith decides to play one more year at the Storm, then B.Smith can come to us in 2021.

The only thing that still has me stumped in all of this is the early release of R. Smith to the Storm for nothing in return. As this seems so ridiculous, It makes me think that there is already some agreement in place behind the scene that can not be revealed with Remis going over, & I believe it involves the whole Foxx Heads Of Agreement thing & finding a way around it.

C. Smith playing on doesn't affect B. Smith. If C. Smith plays on B. Smith continues his forward role off the bench. If C. Smith retires or goes to the Titans, Grant is hooker and B. Smith is still playing a forward role off the bench.

We should/could of used Reimis as a trade for JAC or B. Smith. I'm going to back the club that they've done this because if they didn't that's very silly, I don't really care for the reasons.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I heard that Brandon Smith is eyeing the Roosters. Jake Friend won’t be around in 2022 and the Roosters might target him. I can’t see the Dogs being an option.
Yup they have plenty of money to add yet another international lol

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Smith must be eyeing a big Sombrero to go with those huge goggles of his...

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yep Teddy’s upgrade was less [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then we'll gladly take Verills. They can't have them both (like Penrith with Burton and Luai) and I can't see either one being happy to play second fiddle. Personally I'd take Verills over Smith anyway

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Conspiracy Theory

Solution

Variable

Didn’t they say they wouldn’t be enforcing the hoa contract ? Is loaning JAC an option for 21 ?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Then we'll gladly take Verills. They can't have them both (like Penrith with Burton and Luai) and I can't see either one being happy to play second fiddle. Personally I'd take Verills over Smith anyway
We should be chasing both, Verrills is off contract next year so we wouldn’t need to trade a player to get him.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is a loose goose but so was most of the 2004 team.. Sometimes you need these blokes around in the change room.

He is a good get, espescially if we somehow swap Elliot or Lewis for him.
Buddy, it’s not 2004 anymore. Society and the NRL has changed a lot in 16 years. It’s just reality and you can’t compare sides or behaviour from 16 years ago because our team was winning games at that point of time.