News Brandon Smith and Reece Walsh attempt to use ‘Latrell loophole’ to end suspensions sooner

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne and the Warriors will attempt to use the same loophole that allowed Latrell Mitchell to serve one week of his six-match suspension in the All Stars game in a bid to free Brandon Smith and Reece Walsh to also make sooner-than-expected NRL comebacks.

Mitchell’s was slated to return for the round-three blockbuster against the Roosters, but will instead be free to play a week earlier, against the Storm at AAMI Park. The Rabbitohs made an application to head office to count the All Stars game, for which Mitchell would have been a certain selection, as part of his six-game ban for a high shot on Joseph Manu. NRL Judiciary chairman Geoff Bellew approved the request, piquing the interest of the Storm and Warriors.
Smith copped a one-match suspension, as well as a $15,000 fine, for his role in the white-powder video scandal that also involved Cameron Munster and Chris Lewis. While the ban was expected to sideline the Kiwi hooker for the opening-round clash against Wests Tigers, the Storm believe he has effectively served his time given he wasn’t allowed to be selected for the Maori in the All Stars clash.

Similarly, Walsh was eligible and keen to play for the Maori, but was prevented from doing after he was charged with cocaine possession. The NRL ruled he would cop a two-game ban for bringing the game into disrepute, which included a one-week ban he would have received for an on-field charge.

However, Warriors CEO Cameron George told the Herald he would take up the matter with NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo today in a bid to allow Walsh to serve one game of his suspension in the All Stars match. If the application is approved, the playmaker would return for the Warriors’ round-two clash against the Gold Coast.

If we now count the All Stars game, he should only have to serve one NRL game,” George said.

“If they are going to be consistent with the judicial findings after the judicial decision yesterday, and it’s crucially important that the game is … it needs to be addressed very quickly.
We’re dealing with two different penalties; one imposed by the judiciary with the ability to review and amend, and then we’re dealing one which Andrew Abdo imposed himself.

“I assume Andrew would have the discretion to review and revisit his penalties.”

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I think it's different circumstances. A head high is different from taking drugs.

Also the NRL always helps Souths.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
For the Dogs…. We should be using the Queens Birthday as our sneaky excuse if Luke Thompson is ever suspended for that long weekend

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
let them both play they are in my draft team

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dumb.
The rules should be that if you cop suspension, you are allowed to play Allstars seeing as it has nothing to do with regular season.
Not use a 'probable' allstars selection to reduce suspension, thats just stupid.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think a rep game should be counted as part of the suspension personally. Why should only rep calibre players get the extra leeway. If you're suspended you are effectively ineligible for rep duties therefore out of consideration. I don't care if you're an incumbent rep player. Really is bullshit that players get to reduce their suspension that way.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well if it’s ok for latrel it’s good for all players now

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't argue with anything Stuart said.. I'm glad he calls them out. He's one of the few to challenge the NRL consistently. Yes he whinges a lot about other stuff, and I don't particularly rate him as a coach... But at least he's not afraid to speak up on glaring inconsistencies like this unlike other coaches and CEO's who just cop it and stay silent.