Brad Abbey

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Glad to see the sky is still falling here, since I last checked in late last year [emoji23]

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe. Inglis never did and he's got some stiff competition
I know I was thinking that. Why the hell hasn't Inglis won one... He dominates teams all by himself.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol true but his still young though, Hopefully he can learn to take a shot.

His first touch today was ballzy but after that he was scared to get hit again. Bit like Barba the bitch.
Barba was never scared to get hit. You're kidding right?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Seriously, were judging everyone from one pre-season game.

If for example Holland drops the ball off the kick off in our round 1 game against the Storm everyone will all of a sudden lobby for his demotion to the reggies.

We have to be a little more level-headed with our assessments.

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And for better or worse he was given the shot in first grade, fucked up with some of the same things you're criticizing Abbey for, replaced at fullback a few times - but he was given the go and now he and the Roosters are better for it. The theory with Abbey over at least this season should be sink or swim
Yes but the roosters are prepared to build and miss the 8 every so often whilst developing young players. Our greedy gunt of a coach will never do that and jeopardise his bonus...

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You're right he was renowned for putting his body on the line at any cost.
Hang on is that sarcasm ? lol

I'm just responding to your summation of Barba , sure there may have been occasions where he missed tackles but his try saving tackles were so spectacular, feirce and crucial that it shouldn't be tarnished by a couple of missed tackles . The bloke was the star of the decade.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its unfair to judge Abbey on 20 minutes of disjointed football by the rest of the team. He didn't do much wrong
He will improve a lot, and he has a few things going for him that Hopoate doesn't have.
He dropped a ball when he was hit before the ball came close to him. Much better prospect than Hopoate

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Its unfair to judge Abbey on 20 minutes of disjointed football by the rest of the team. He didn't do much wrong
He will improve a lot, and he has a few things going for him that Hopoate doesn't have.
He dropped a ball when he was hit before the ball came close to him. Much better prospect than Hopoate
Absolutely mate, if we were judging a few others from 20 mins of football yesterday, we'd have only about 8 available players.

Kid is young, I thought he had some nice touches and will be better for the run.

Just give him a wing spot, let him get some first grade under his belt, rotate him in games to fullback and I think he will come good.

And totally agreed, way better prospect than Hoppa...

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We've got nothing to lose. I would like to see him blooded this year even if it's off the bench or on the wing for a few games max. We need to start looking for a long term solution at fullback, Hopoate and Bmoz are not the answer.

Do not want too see Des pull a Trent Dudinson/Robertson and blood him too early like with Latrell Mitchell. Dudinson had the young lad play through injuries and constantly get injured because he is not up to the week in week out demands of 1st grade. Des has done the right thing by Holland as we have seen last year, we might see a similar plan for Abbey.

Aceman

Waterboy
Reaction score
When will a kid be ready...never...you just have to give him a go...what are our other options this year...Morris is made of tissue paper...and Hoppa is just a fill in who wont play on Sundays...just because he makes a mistake doesnt mean dont give him a shot. Look at Munster..raw when he started...everyone said "no billy slatter". Now, after given a chance from a coach with courage and vision, is developing into a star. Kids wont hang around forever waiting for a chance...yes they will make mistake...but that is what a coach is therefore.

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Abbey needs one more year in reserves then he will be ready to be our fullback next year. He has potential just not quite ready yet. I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Are you an Abby lover
Who cares who was out there,
He can't catch a bomb
Over runs plays
I can keep going
I wouldn't say im a abbey lover but I'm hoping he comes good, because I'm over not having anything in attack.
Barba couldn't catch bombs then he came good.

Mate i don't want the same crap slow backline with the same bad results that is all.

Remembering our best back the last couple of years was prob Rona.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If he's good enough he will get selected eventually. Not worth stressing about decisions that are out of my hands.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Did you watch it
It was a soft penalty
Abbey was still under it and should have caught it if he was up to the task
Clearly he wasn't
He was trying to get in position to make a leap on it and was run off the ball. That's a penalty any day of the week.

Abbey is fine just needs more practice, but is a VERY good prospect and at the time Warriors John Ackland (recruitment guru) was spewing they lost him to us. JA discovered Abbey and has a VERY good eye for talent.

I'm not sure what Abbeys role will be this season as Josh Bergamin is playing NSW Cup trials at fullback and is one to watch.

I reckon Abbey in NSW Cup and promoting during Origin/Sunday Hoppa days (if Hoppa wont play Sundays).

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Abbey is still shit and wont play FG unless major injuries. Yesterday just proved it once more

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Needs time in nsw cup and to earn his spot ,not quite ready yet imo

Status
Not open for further replies.