News Boom NRL star officially drops bomb on Dragons with leave request

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dragons talent Jayden Sullivan has formally written to club officials with some more bad news for the struggling NRL club.

Jayden Sullivan has formally requested to be released from his contract with the Dragons.

For the second time this month, Sullivan’s management have written to senior figures at St George Illawarra pleading for the club to release the 21-year-old from his long-term contract, The Daily Telegraph reports.

The situation has exploded this month after star playmaker Ben Hunt signed an extension through to the end of the 2025 season.

“It is unfortunate that we have had formal release requests from two of our young players in Tyrell Sloan and Jayden Sullivan,” Webb wrote.

“From a club perspective, we do not want to release either of these young men as the club has put years of resources towards the development of them both and see them as playing large roles in our future.

“At the crux of this they are both seeking more consistent first grade exposure while, as a football club, we must balance player development with the need to win and these two aims don’t always perfectly align.”

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ffs do you even read other threads or even look? Stop spamming with new threads it’s annoying because discussions about the same thing happen in about 3 places.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see the problem with Sullivan requesting a release. If the Dragqueens assured him Hunt would not be there in 23, and that he'd get first shot at being the starting 7, then he has every right to turn around and ask for a release since the Dragons lied to him. What does that have to do with him being soft? Why should he honour his contract under those circumstances?

Yes he shouldn't have signed the contract without a "Hunt clause" in it but he made the stupid mistake of trusting the club. The Dragons are at fault here

I'd rather Moses for 24 but if getting Sullivan means we won't see anymore of Flanno then I'm all for it.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is a contract ???
its up to tye dragons to play hardball with Sullivan...the contract means they control what happens.. i hope they play hard ball with him and make him stay....what would everyone be saying if this was a bulldogs player trying to exit his contract?

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
its up to tye dragons to play hardball with Sullivan...the contract means they control what happens.. i hope they play hard ball with him and make him stay....what would everyone be saying if this was a bulldogs player trying to exit his contract?
The problem for the dragons is that he is on pretty good coin for the next few years (especially in 2024 and 2025). When he signed his current contract they budgeted for him to take over from Hunt in the last 2 years of his contract. But Hunt pretty much carried them this year and earned a new deal.

I don’t think there’s much doubt they will release him. You can’t have someone on the money he is on playing Reggie’s. It will just be negotiating the freight

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I do agree with you on the principle but sadly it doesn't mean a thing these days
So should we be the only club that carries this burden.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Telegraph said last two years are worth 500K a year. Surely this is wrong, as why would u leave. We shouldn’t be offering anything close to that

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
we always release players! We are soft

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A contract is a legal agreement that requires a club to pay a player an agreed amount for an agreed period of time, except for when the player wants to leave and earn more money elsewhere, at which point it doesn't exist!
Except that he doesn't want to leave for more money it's lack of opportunity.I'm neither condoning it or shitcanning the kid for wanting out ask and see what happens, Drags to decide his fate.
As there is still noise it at least means flanno is probably not regarded as our best option at 7 and that's a good thing..and he may get pushed out in a swap - YES PLEASE.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Except that he doesn't want to leave for more money it's lack of opportunity.I'm neither condoning it or shitcanning the kid for wanting out ask and see what happens, Drags to decide his fate.
As there is still noise it at least means flanno is probably not regarded as our best option at 7 and that's a good thing..and he may get pushed out in a swap - YES PLEASE.
Yeah this particular case is interesting as by all reports, he was verbally told he is rge successor to Ben Hunt only for Drags to extend Hunt.

I cant blame the Dragons though. Hunt was in my opinion best player last year. He didn't just do things expected of a half. He did exceptional things.

The other part to this is that Dragons would feel Sullivan can learn from Hunt over the next couple of years and ease his way into first grade rather than be the fall-guy for when they don't win.

But the kid just can't see it that way and wants out.

I think the Dragons will try to convince him to bide his time and ease in but as soon as they realise his heads pace and heart arent in it, they will have to cut him loose or offer Hunt to a suitor.

Best outcome for us, is that they regret their decision, think long term and offer us Hunt.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also find it interesting that only about 3 or 4 Dragons platers attended their end of season awards presentation.

Now I know it was poorly scheduled by the Dragons and should never have pandered to the women's game, but it's been reported that some players were still in Sydney and still chose to not attend. If that is in response to Hunt been extended, it would mean there is growing discontent with him being such a big slice of the cap and this can soon boil over.

I'm hoping it does as I strongly believe Hunt is the type of player we need and need now. Was gutted he got extended, but there isca slither of hope this can still fall our way....