Bondi stabbing

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm okay good question we’ll security in retail premises like Westfield need a square metre property security ratio so I’m not sure how many they need but the thing is the security is told to watch and act not to engage (often they are under trained). I would make sure your family is familiar with the fire exists and evacuation procedures. Request to go to the 6 monthly evacuation training and the most important thing is in the face of a fire or terrorist attack or lone attack get Out. Don’t worry about anyone else worry about that later.
Advice taken. Thank you.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The media are stalking the killers parents.

Outside their house & show the mother taking clothes of the clothesline.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly the question I was asking.
Hard to see how any planning/training avoids that.
Unfortunately there's not much you can do. Even in the US where there's a much higher risk, they don't have any real protection in place.

Standard procedures are to call police, evacuate, and lockdown any shops. But most shop lockdowns are manual and go back to the shop holder.

Even if there was a good solution, it wouldn't be economically viable. You would need to get thousands of shopping centres to spend hundreds of thousands (probably millions) to implement a solution that may need to be used at one centre every 10 years.

Then there's the general public factor. Systems require training for those involved, and the general public isn't going to be trained on how to respond unless you standardise the system and force the public to practice it (like duck and cover during nuclear tensions)

Cost is that major factor though. I have advised emergency mass communication systems for clients as you can implement them for fairly cheap if you have the right security system, but the only ones that take it up are high risk government clients.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yep and it’s not your job to do it and it’s the job of a police officer which she did very well and she should be commended for it.
No question about that, she did great.
I think the word ‘hero’ is overused but seems fitting here - and she likely prevented more carnage.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Unfortunately there's not much you can do. Even in the US where there's a much higher risk, they don't have any real protection in place.

Standard procedures are to call police, evacuate, and lockdown any shops. But most shop lockdowns are manual and go back to the shop holder.

Even if there was a good solution, it wouldn't be economically viable. You would need to get thousands of shopping centres to spend hundreds of thousands (probably millions) to implement a solution that may need to be used at one centre every 10 years.

Then there's the general public factor. Systems require training for those involved, and the general public isn't going to be trained on how to respond unless you standardise the system and force the public to practice it (like duck and cover during nuclear tensions)

Cost is that major factor though. I have advised emergency mass communication systems for clients as you can implement them for fairly cheap if you have the right security system, but the only ones that take it up are high risk government clients.
I’ve used our PA system before… I said attention attention go fuck yourselves. It was a fucking joke Jesus. No one gets Jokes anymore.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Yep that all makes sense not to mention that no amount of training accounts for the reality of fight, flight or freeze - no one knows how they’ll react until something like that happens. Had a family friend who worked in a bank who was held up at gunpoint years ago - needless to say the reaction was not as scripted.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If this tragedy and absolute horror show happened at the hands of someone with schizophrenia who was off his meds and had a paranoid psychotic episode, I'm sorry to say it will probably happen again.

All levels of government, and all sides of politics, have been part of the steady dismantling of mental health support. Increasingly, something like this is likely to happen again.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
@The DoggFather interested in your view having been in the security business: Chris Minns has ruled out security guards being allowed to carry guns (and I don’t disagree, otherwise we’re one step closer to an American system where people who stamp your passport have a hand cannon strapped to their belts) - but that security guard ‘weaponry’ may be reviewed. Something in addition to a hi-vis vest might be useful, but what? Some sort of baton or something?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
@The DoggFather interested in your view having been in the security business: Chris Minns has ruled out security guards being allowed to carry guns (and I don’t disagree, otherwise we’re one step closer to an American system where people who stamp your passport have a hand cannon strapped to their belts) - but that security guard ‘weaponry’ may be reviewed. Something in addition to a hi-vis vest might be useful, but what? Some sort of baton or something?
Well I used to carry an extendable batton, which I've never had to use, not very useful against a gun but could of come very handy against a knife. I guess other "non-lethal" options would be pepper spray or tasers, but should be only be obtained by completing a course to get a condition on your license to use and carry.

But then you have to apply equal and reasonable force IE you can't use arms against an unarmed perp. But even then it's full of grey areas where you could just say "I feared for my life".

If that Minns is serious, the whole licensing process needs an overhaul and made tougher and more strict. Its a joke, that's why the quality of guards are rubbish now. It gets treated as a good second job that you can get paid cash on the side. You sit in a class for 10-14 days, very minimal hands on training (I had to do majority of training through other agencies), pass a criminal check and then you're licensed.

TBH also immigrants from 3rd world countries get all the jobs because they are willing to "work" for peanuts, im talking as low as $8 an hour cash. Which drives proper guards away to better paying jobs (pubs/clubs).

Plus you even have training centres that basically sell you a license, you pay them and they pass you and certify you without in doing the course. Some get busted but plenty of them still do it.

PS I was allowed to carry when I was protecting cash and when I was a bodyguard protecting people that could afford it but wasn't allowed when you had to protect hundreds or thousands of human lives....

PPS part of the course is watching "Roadhouse", true story lol

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Last edited:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I feel terrible for his Dad. To have a son you love do this would be distressing. Without knowing his medical history, I wonder if perhaps better care could have prevented him from wanting to commit such atrocities. The mental health system in this country is well and truly fucked. I haven’t seen my shrink for years, mainly because of the cost. Who can afford $200 per consultation? Even if you can afford it, actually seeking and continuing treatment can be onerous for people suffering severe conditions.

Eta: Forgot to mention that in the video above, the killer’s father explains why he might have targeted women, so that question many have was answered pretty much.