Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
wallah they should have used tupac. Would have been a killa

[video=youtube;N4HjsZqOaQ0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4HjsZqOaQ0[/video]

Ghost of Dime

Future1stGrader
Reaction score
I haven't heard the song before but I don't rate it after one listen.

Something like this with different lyrics would be the go :grinning: btw, why is it always a rock song used for these campaigns and always rock on the footy show? Get with the times!
[video=youtube;RefNzH9AKeI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RefNzH9AKeI[/video]
League is a sport for the white man, stop trying to bring us down ffs

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Good work NRL! Getting one of the biggest acts in the world! I woke up this morning and the TV stations are already talking about it!!!!
Whether you like Bon Jovi or not, this ad isn't aimed at yoU! You guys are already RL lovers, it's aimed at the non-RL people and realistically at the AFL, "This is our house"!
The song will catch on. Thank God the NRL stays clear of RnB and Pop!
how is this bon jovi song going to attract non RL people?

BM-dog

Tough person
Reaction score
Would've preferred Living On A Prayer but that would be unbelievably expensive to license for a major ad campaign. Maybe in the tens of millions. I'll wait til they release the ad before I pass judgement on how the song works for RL.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
how is this bon jovi song going to attract non RL people?

Why would the NRL or any other sporting organisation advertise? Why do companies advertise? Obviously to attract new customers! So obviously it works!

Now having Bon Jovi lifts the profile of the Ad blitz... Why do companies get celebrities? It's a proven winner! Bon Jovi has a massive following who would try or at the very least look into the product that his/his band has endorsed!!! Imagine Bon Jovi performs at the GF, it'll be MASSIVE!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Why would the NRL or any other sporting organisation advertise? Why do companies advertise? Obviously to attract new customers! So obviously it works!

Now having Bon Jovi lifts the profile of the Ad blitz... Why do companies get celebrities? It's a proven winner! Bon Jovi has a massive following who would try or at the very least look into the product that his/his band has endorsed!!! Imagine Bon Jovi performs at the GF, it'll be MASSIVE!
Just by advertising doesn't mean you get new customers.

Also, so fans of Bon Jovi worldwide are going to look into watching Rugby League just because his song is used in our ad? Or Aussie Bon Jovi fans who don't like or know league will all of a sudden show more of an interest?

If that logic worked than why did the Arena football team that Bon Jovi OWNED and had songs playing at all of the time, get no one attending games and go broke just years later? I mean, that is, going by your logic that so many Bon Jovi fans automtically translate into interest into the product their endorsing.

Also, Tom Jones was a big star but the ad failed miserably because the song was pathetic and the ad was rubbish. And going by NRL precedent, this ad will be rubbish with this woeful song. So it doesn't matter how big the star is, if the ad is crap and trhe song is poor, it will just be money terribly spent, the league will be a laughing stock yet again when it comes to marketing and we won't have gotten any more exposure other than how bad, yet again, the advertising campaign is.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bring back Simply The Best, ffs

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
go back to simply the best

edit FFS Moe!

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Just by advertising doesn't mean you get new customers.

Also, so fans of Bon Jovi worldwide are going to look into watching Rugby League just because his song is used in our ad? Or Aussie Bon Jovi fans who don't like or know league will all of a sudden show more of an interest?

If that logic worked than why did the Arena football team that Bon Jovi OWNED and had songs playing at all of the time, get no one attending games and go broke just years later? I mean, that is, going by your logic that so many Bon Jovi fans automtically translate into interest into the product their endorsing.

Also, Tom Jones was a big star but the ad failed miserably because the song was pathetic and the ad was rubbish. And going by NRL precedent, this ad will be rubbish with this woeful song. So it doesn't matter how big the star is, if the ad is crap and trhe song is poor, it will just be money terribly spent, the league will be a laughing stock yet again when it comes to marketing and we won't have gotten any more exposure other than how bad, yet again, the advertising campaign is.
The problem is Rugby League fans rubbish it before they see it (Like you)... So many people on this forum and especially League unlimited bagged the "That's my team" ad, let's be honest it was a hit! This song is catchy and symbolises that this is our town (NSW & QLD).

Tom Jones best days were long gone by the time the NRL got him... Bon Jovi's world tour was the biggest earner last year for any band/musician, it was MASSIVE!! You cannot compare the two...

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Pretty boring stuff, hardly top ten stuff.

C

chipandchase

The problem is Rugby League fans rubbish it before they see it (Like you)... So many people on this forum and especially League unlimited bagged the "That's my team" ad, let's be honest it was a hit! This song is catchy and symbolises that this is our town (NSW & QLD).

Tom Jones best days were long gone by the time the NRL got him... Bon Jovi's world tour was the biggest earner last year for any band/musician, it was MASSIVE!! You cannot compare the two...
agree with all you said

B.A.Baracus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rugby League shouldn't need a corny anthem to make the sport look interesting. The quality of the teams is enough of a draw card. It is after all the best Rugby League comp in the world.

The money used to pay for the rights for this song, could be better utilised by the NRL, eg put into the game at grass roots level or reducing ticket prices for matches. We need to start filling stadiums. Bon Jovi isn't going to make this happen.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
i think its a case of wait and see, it mite be a hit, could be a dud. it just depends on what the fans like, everyone has an opinion, and not everyone is the same

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Mate I've heard the song. It's terrible IMO and in many other people's opinions. I don't need to see the edited version to know it's going to be good or bad because the song is rubbish and will not grab my attention. As a matter of fact, I'll turn off because of the sing even if they showed Alyssa Milano naked for 90 seconds. The That's My Team campaign was OK, but went on for way too many years. At least that song was tolerable and the league created their own version.

As for Bon Jovi being stars, sure they tour successfully and are a huge band, but when was the last hit they released? Because this sure isn't one of them and there's a reason for that.... Because no one likes the song.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Rugby League shouldn't need a corny anthem to make the sport look interesting. The quality of the teams is enough of a draw card. It is after all the best Rugby League comp in the world.

The money used to pay for the rights for this song, could be better utilised by the NRL, eg put into the game at grass roots level or reducing ticket prices for matches. We need to start filling stadiums. Bon Jovi isn't going to make this happen.
Well said. Honestly, just some great editing and some strong classical music with huge hits, amazing skill and players celebrating etc would send chills down my spine. Let the product do the talking instead of trying to turn everything into some gimmick by securing the rights to fading rock stars D-sides to try and show how big a brand our game is and how we can secure huge names to give us one of their worst songs for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some coup.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
I don't think some people quite understand how it all works...

Status
Not open for further replies.