Bombs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Sandow took the cake last night. Honest to God before every 5th tackle, I'd turn to my cousin and say "watch him put up a bomb" or I'd point in the air.

Makes me sick.
And the thing is he has a great short kicking game and always puts well weighted kicks into the corners. He has been doing that alot this season as has Sutton and obviously it is a ploy by Taylor.

Which is extremely stupid and not working because like I said, Sandow has a great varied kicking game and whenever he, Sutton and Wing put in grubbers, chips or stabbing kicks they had great success.

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It's part of the game and we need to get good at it, catching the ball. Even the safe general has let his guard down in the last couple of weeks.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No goal kick if you score a try off kicks?
No. Kicking is a skill and it is a facet of the game that should be rewarded. Some grubbers, chips, bombs etc are brilliantly executed and shouldn't be discouraged.

There isn't too much you can do but midfield bombs are killing the game to a degree and the onus should be on the coaches to promote the football and use backline movements and players in motion and not hit up up one out every tackle and look to score from kicks.

Like I said, the midfield bomb is just a very, very frustrating fad that will pass when someone else comes up with something that every other coach will copy and do to death.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well the Souths got nothing out of it...

And i'm pretty glad our team doesn't really do it half as much as other teams tbh...

You can't change it, i suppose the best way to discourage it is for teams to get punished on the scoreboard by it, ie Focus on defending bombs from any position, any time.

The Roosters are struggling atm and if they struggle more that tactic will soon disappear when it stops working.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
i was going to start a thread about this a couple of weeks ago!

problem is there are too many points scored off bombs.

the success rate must be close to 15-20% if done well. that's one in 5/6 tries.

all teams are doing it now, obviously those with big tall backs more than others.

its ruining the game, and its relatively skill-less. a pinpoint bomb on the goal line is hard to defend against.

i can't see it ever stopping though. 5 years ago we saw it happen to us in the semi final against the cowboys .. it didn't really happen that much back then

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
No, have the same rules, when catching the ball in goal, but instead of taking it from the twenty, take it from the 30.
how do you classify a 'bomb' tho.

what is the difference between a bomb and a cross field kick?

are we going to implement ball trackers for height? hah

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
Like I said, the midfield bomb is just a very, very frustrating fad that will pass when someone else comes up with something that every other coach will copy and do to death.
i think attacking bombs are just as annoying .. to just put it up there and wait for the clash of bodies and hopefully scoring a try is not what i would call 'skillful'

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
No goal kick if you score a try off kicks?
kicks and bombs are different.

sherwin didn't put that many bombs up, but we sure as hell scored a lot of tries off his kicks!

last night ennis kicking for morris to score .. mostly skill (a little luck, it was a bit heavy off the boot)

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
how do you classify a 'bomb' tho.

what is the difference between a bomb and a cross field kick?

are we going to implement ball trackers for height? hah
You seemed to have missed the point. When a ball is caught in goal, it goes to the 20 metre line for a restart. Instead of taking it to the 20, I propose it goes to the 30 when CAUGHT in goal. If it grubbers out, it can stay at the 20 metre line.

cljunior

Sherwin departs 2007
Reaction score
You seemed to have missed the point. When a ball is caught in goal, it goes to the 20 metre line for a restart. Instead of taking it to the 20, I propose it goes to the 30 when CAUGHT in goal. If it grubbers out, it can stay at the 20 metre line.
i get the point ... but a kick that doesn't go too high, for example a banana kick, where the full back shoots under the post to catch and score.

kicks like that shouldn't be penalized an extra 10m.

on the other hand .. i would love something implemented to stop bombs, any bombs. can't see it happening.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
i get the point ... but a kick that doesn't go too high, for example a banana kick, where the full back shoots under the post to catch and score.

kicks like that shouldn't be penalized an extra 10m.

on the other hand .. i would love something implemented to stop bombs, any bombs. can't see it happening.
I guess that's one disadvantage but I'd put up with it. Bombs really piss me off. Like I said, it takes no skill to put up a bomb and it's a weak "tactic."

iWahash

Hannant
Reaction score
As long as that ****ing retard who is driving the game to the ground, David Gallop, is still the CEO of the N.R.L., it's going to get much worse.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
it would help Utai's cause immensely if there were no bombs lol. He would become one of the best if he could catch a pass then :p

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Cronulla Sharks, Mitch Healey.

Mid/Late 90s

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Phil Gould said something interesting on the Sunday Footy Show which is sort of relevent to this.

He said the thought that Penrith can be competitive without a proper halfback and a good kicking game scares him because it shows that the game is turning into a big man sport and the idea is just to be big and put up bombs. He believes it's ruining the game and that we need to bring in 6 interchanges so we can bring in the little men that dominate.

See, I agree with that 100%. The ideal "structure" of Rugby League today is that you roll forward and put up a bomb. There is no carving up with the little guys on the last anymore or the classic chip and chase. I haven't seen a proper, classic chip and chase kick try at the end of a game to win in years but they were so great because it showed creativity and left supporters going home with a smile on their faces, win or lose because it was Rugby League.

I wish things would change, K E, I really do but the way Rugby League is going at the moment, which is just big players in the halves, no genuine ball players, then the result will just be the bomb. There is no way Penrith should be as dominate as they are so far this season with the kicking game they have tbh.
The last one that comes to mind was 2006 Knights vs Cowboys rd 6. In the last few mins Matt Bowen did a chip over the top and step the fullback to score. The Cowboys ended up winning 18-16

Status
Not open for further replies.