Blue murder: exit the Entertainers, enter the Enforcers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...r-the-enforcers/2009/09/22/1253384994719.html

If this story doesn't get the blood pumping nothing will!

DOGS v PARRA - GREATEST HITS

'The beauty of playing here was that we'd grown up loving cricket too, and you'd come into the dressing rooms and think, 'Don Bradman's been here,''' recalled Paul Langmack, a teenage hardman forward for Canterbury-Bankstown in the 1984 grand final.

True enough, only Bradman never conjured thoughts such as theirs.

Rugby league might be a game of tactics but at heart it is - or most especially was in the 1980s - a game of brute force. Bulldogs captain Steve Mortimer stood up to address his troops before they ran out. ''I'm a proud c---,'' he told them, ''I'm a winner, I wish myself a good game, I wish everyone a good game. Let's get out there and f---ing bash them.''

At half-time ''Turvey'' got to his feet to talk again. Another inspirational vignette - only to be cut short by prop Peter Kelly.

''He went off his head at half-time,'' Langmack recalls. ''At half-time, Turvey was talking and 'Kel' said, 'Look, will you shut the f--- up.'

''Just give me the f---ing ball.''

Warren Ryan, the coach of the Canterbury side that had ditched The Entertainers label to become The Enforcers, sided with prop against halfback. ''Just follow him - he'll lead you to victory,'' he said.

The Bulldogs needed something. Up against a Parramatta side that had won the past three titles and was built on the rock of Ray Price and a back line to rate among the best ever assembled in club football, Canterbury trailed 4-0 at the break after a typical Mick Cronin try.

History has been cruel to Neville Glover, Parramatta's bearded winger of an earlier vintage, but Eric Grothe has escaped torment for bombing a try in the first half.

The Bulldogs only try of the game was claimed by hooker Mark Bugden. Price, who kept the medical teams busy stemming the occasional flesh wound, went down with a wrist injury. Bugden caught the marker asleep and dashed through from 25 metres out. The converted try put the Bulldogs ahead 6-4, and four minutes later they nearly put the match away when Peter Tunks was held up over the line. But the Eels rallied.

Rookie winger Steve O'Brien pulled off an intercept to deny the Eels when Cronin threatened to put Grothe away.

Herald league writer Alan Clarkson saluted O'Brien's effort. ''With the awesome assignment of marking Eric Grothe, O'Brien did not flinch from a task which has caused more experienced players to think about early retirements,'' he wrote.

Ultimately, the match turned on Cronin's legendary boot. Minutes from full-time, referee Kevin Roberts penalised Greg Mullane. Cronin lined up the shot from a close position - only for the ball to topple from the mound of sand. When he finally took the shot, the ball sailed left, a replay of his missed kick that would have given the Eels victory in the 1977 grand final against St George.

''I have tried to forget about 1977 but what happened out there jolts my memory a bit,'' Cronin admits. ''I don't know what happened. I expect to kick them all, and it was a fairly simple one although it was a bit windy.''

Price survived the match like the Black Knight of Monty Python fame, absorbing incredible physical punishment yet always getting up with the same leer on his face.

''What we used to do with each other … if we could catch them, it wasn't pretty,'' Tunks says. ''Ray Price was phenomenal. You've no idea how good he was. He's probably the toughest player I ever played against, the punishment we used to give to him. And he just used to keep getting up. There were some terrible things we did to him.

''We had plenty of stinks but nobody got killed.''

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If only you could do now what they did then.....

Still, as far as modern day footy goes the Broncos showed last Saturday that you can still come out firing and play a very physical brand of footy.

Hopefully we adopt the same approach on Friday and knock then Eels senseless all game.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score

Still, as far as modern day footy goes the Broncos showed last Saturday that you can still come out firing and play a very physical brand of footy.

Hopefully we adopt the same approach on Friday and knock then Eels senseless all game.
Bloody oath you can still play physical!!! We did it against Melbourne, and we need to do it to Parra on friday night. Otherwise they will just do it to us like they already did this year. Our forward pack needs to watch these 80's highlights all week (like me :D) and FIRE UP!!!! That only gonna make our backs shine and score plenty of tries!

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm fired up alright!

What passion and power they had. This would be a top read for our boys.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score

True that, you can still do it but not the way they used to do it. We can come out and absolutely hit hard in every tackle and just smash them.

DOGS OF WAR

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
Warren Ryan admitted in the post match interview that he told the halfback to get out of the way and play it through the forwards. When asked who he thought was best he said Kelly in one simple word. When I get my DVD Ripper fixed up I'll put the post-match interviews done with Warren Ryan, Steve Folkes and Peter Kelly up on the website.

The Bulldogs team that day was:

1 Michael Potter
2 Peter Mortimer
3 Andrew Farrar
4 Chris Mortimer
5 Steve O'Brien
6 Terry Lamb
7 Steve Mortimer [c]
8 Paul Langmack
9 Steve Folkes
16 Brian Battese
11 Peter Kelly
12 Mark Bugden
13 Peter Tunks

Subs:
10 Darryl Brohman (rep Battese)
22 Geoff Robinson (rep Tunks)
## Greg Mullane (rep Lamb)

Non playing reserves included: Jim Leis, Michael Hagan, David Gillespie (all three warmed up) plus Ross Conlon, Billy Johnstone and others as well who names escape me.

Out injured were Chris Anderson and Phil Gould.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
what an awesome picture
Met Turvey this morning after the Today Show tug of war thing! What a legend.

I just thanked him for all the memories in the 80's and said he was one of the biggest reasons I chose Canterbury as a small child. He said thanks and I think I almost cried! <3 Obviously I shook his hand, and I have a firm hand shake and don't like when people give those sloppy handshakes. He deadset almost broke my hand in half! I didn't get in with a good grip either though. :o

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
what an awesome picture
Isn't it amazing??

Their faces and body language says it all. They gave more than 100%. They put everything into that game - and to come out winners, they seem too releived to be celebrating.

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
Anyone who ever doubted Steve O'Brien as a footballer should watch the 1984 Grand Final.

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
Warren Ryan cops a lot of crap for the 1989 grand final and mostly by Ben Elias as they like to exaggerate the truth as to when Paul Sironen came off. Ryan's use of Brohman and Robinson off the bench was superb. Brohman opened up the second half when we started to regain control and when our forwards were beginning to tire he brings on Robinson and he charged into them in the style only Robbo can plus more.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
Warren Ryan admitted in the post match interview that he told the halfback to get out of the way and play it through the forwards. When asked who he thought was best he said Kelly in one simple word. When I get my DVD Ripper fixed up I'll put the post-match interviews done with Warren Ryan, Steve Folkes and Peter Kelly up on the website.

The Bulldogs team that day was:

1 Michael Potter
2 Peter Mortimer
3 Andrew Farrar
4 Chris Mortimer
5 Steve O'Brien
6 Terry Lamb
7 Steve Mortimer [c]
8 Paul Langmack
9 Steve Folkes
16 Brian Battese
11 Peter Kelly
12 Mark Bugden
13 Peter Tunks

Subs:
10 Darryl Brohman (rep Battese)
22 Geoff Robinson (rep Tunks)
## Greg Mullane (rep Lamb)

Non playing reserves included: Jim Leis, Michael Hagan, David Gillespie (all three warmed up) plus Ross Conlon, Billy Johnstone and others as well who names escape me.

Out injured were Chris Anderson and Phil Gould.
Ah yes Kelly!

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Rugby league might be a game of tactics but at heart it is - or most especially was in the 1980s - a game of brute force. Bulldogs captain Steve Mortimer stood up to address his troops before they ran out. ''I'm a proud c---,'' he told them, ''I'm a winner, I wish myself a good game, I wish everyone a good game. Let's get out there and f---ing bash them.''

THATS THE BEST

midas

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Met Turvey this morning after the Today Show tug of war thing! What a legend.

I just thanked him for all the memories in the 80's and said he was one of the biggest reasons I chose Canterbury as a small child.
me too

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
F**k I love all the swearing, FIRE THE F**K UP BOYS! SMASH THOSE PARRA MOTHERF**KERS!

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
wot a great article ! i was 17 in 1984 , living in the bankstown area , and you have to understand just how good that parramatta team of that era was , just a team of freaks . just goes to show what an effort the great dogs of war pack were , not too mention won of the best coaches of all time in jack gibson for parra . but we had one of the best tactical coaches in the wok warren ryan .
..ck im fired up for friday

Jester

Phill
Reaction score
I'm so fired up I'm headbutting walls and painting my face with the blood.

Coz, you know... I bleed Blue and White.

Status
Not open for further replies.