News Blantant NRL cheating tactics

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
T
I consider every rule change these days as a way to circumvent fair officiating within games. I'm not a fan of the 6 again rule. It manipulates momentum in a way that prevents fans from actually seeing replays of the supposed error. The captains challenge has had some shocking results. Seen some blatant strips called knock one which should have been corrected with the challenge but weren't. So I don't think this will be any different. When the refs incorrectly call a try and the bunker doesn't have time to correct the call, it's just going to give Ainsley the chance to say it's not the fault of the referee.
I agree. They are simply trying to relieve referees of as much scrutiny as possible. And while these changes may be beneficial, i dont like the fact that they are being made up on the go. The 6 again rule was a massive game changer, yet some teams adapted with ease, where others struggled massively!
The Bulldogs for example, struggled massively with this rule. But if all teams were given a whole off season to adapt then it would have been much fairer to all.
So with this in mind, changing things up again in the last round doesn't make sense. They should have just told the bunker to look closer at every try, regardless of on field decision, and over rule where necessary.

milkdog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I said to my workmates during the week if he hasn’t taken the conversion for goal and it is clear cut no try like the one in our south’s game why not just correct your mistake? So I can’t see a problem with that rule change.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
"referees who think a try has been scored will award it without consulting the bunker.
Up until the conversion attempt is taken, the bunker will be able to review the try and overturn the referee’s decision.

If the referee believes a try hasn’t been scored they stop the game and send the decision up as a “no try” as normal. "

What are the odds a Sutton gets the Broncos game?
As long as he doesn't get ours.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
This rule would have seen the Souths try disallowed.
The six again, where players cannot move off the mark until the ref has called play, will assist us; but how will they still allow the Roosters and Storm to rush up in defence before the ball is played?

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don’t know why the ref has to start with his opinion of whether it’s a try or not before sending it up.
That only puts the bunker and him in a possible embarrassing situation and can influence a decision under pressure.
If he is sending it up then he is uncertain isn’t he?
Other wise award or don’t award a try.
He should only say,
“I have an opinion but can you check this”
If it’s unclear to the video or bunker ref, they should tell the on field ref that it’s unclear to them and he should make the ruling based on his original opinion.
Also during the time the bunker is looking at it, the on field ref is obviously seeing the replays and slomo’s on the big screen to aid him as well.
Why do they complicate things
Thats all there is to it.
It’s the embarrassing knee jerk calls based on forced or pre empted that get thrown up at the wrong time that frustrates.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
In other rules to be trialled, only forwards will be allowed to pack into scrums.
Clubs will have to nominate 10 forwards among their final 17-man squads and referees will ensure they pack down at scrum time.

I don't get the point of this. To me, all it does if gives referees even more shit they have to be looking at, instead of refereeing.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
In other rules to be trialled, only forwards will be allowed to pack into scrums.
Clubs will have to nominate 10 forwards among their final 17-man squads and referees will ensure they pack down at scrum time.

I don't get the point of this. To me, all it does if gives referees even more shit they have to be looking at, instead of refereeing.
Because NRL.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It is easy to conspiracy theory the crap out of this move (for evidence see most of this thread). However!:

- This has been done before in the last round, only with games that don't involve teams in the top 8, in order to live test officiating or match play change proposals.
- It is nice to see something actually being done about the error that was made against us in the Souffs game. Mistakes happen, what sucks is when nothing is done to try and overcome the mistake. This at least represents an effort to stop the same mistake happening, and it looks like a good solution. Indeed it was what a lot of fans on here were talking about when the error happened; "why can't the bunker overturn the calling of the try?".
- The scrums have been scrappy, how often do you see the ref asking a team who their 6th guy is for the scrum? Since scrums became more about a set play opportunity rather than a contest, teams have been fiddling with who they put in the scrum and who makes up the attacking/defending line. I don't know if this solution will work, but its pretty clear that on the ground operating the scrums at the moment is probably messier than it needs to be. This proposed solution is evidently an attempt to remedy that.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see problems with the 6 again for offside.

Your team charges off the line and dominates the ball runner, the opposition get a six again cause your team is offside, but your team gets the initial momentum and dominance in that new set of six. So unless the opposition can shift that momentum in that new set, it's fairly useless. Whereas a penalty marches the opposition down field and they get the initial momentum from the tap.

Smart coaches will work this rule over till it's dead.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I wonder if you can use a refs challenge to ensure a long review.

Dogs Of War

On the Warpath
Reaction score
I can see problems with the 6 again for offside.

Your team charges off the line and dominates the ball runner, the opposition get a six again cause your team is offside, but your team gets the initial momentum and dominance in that new set of six. So unless the opposition can shift that momentum in that new set, it's fairly useless. Whereas a penalty marches the opposition down field and they get the initial momentum from the tap.

Smart coaches will work this rule over till it's dead.
Thats an easy one though. 10 in the bin for repeated infringements.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats an easy one though. 10 in the bin for repeated infringements.
Yeah as long as the refs have the balls to call it. I still think this rule will get exploited, especially when a team is defending their own try line. If you know you're not giving up 2 points by rushing off the line until you get a warning, it will get abused.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do what they do in the NFL. The field referee reviews the video on the sideline if there is a challenge. That way the one ref makes all the decisions. Only reviewed if challenged.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Also why the Broncos game? Why not use another game which doesn't effect the top 4 or spoon race.

Last edited:

BDPScarface

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't understand why they have allowed a situation in which Broncos vs Cows is played to altered set of rules, than Panthers vs. Bulldogs. They can try to dismiss the signifance of any position outside the top 8, but they are being disinegenous if they don't think the wooden spoon position carries a stigma... and is important to their fans.

I've seen no commentary in the media pushing back on this. It is really depressing.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
TV wants the game to look more "entertaining" to win viewers who are not fans of any club. Their sponsors want bigger audiences so they can sell their gambling apps to them.
The funny thing is you watch a game from 20+ years ago and look at how many bums are on seats. Look at the 80's.
The game was exciting.
Take a scrum for example, aint a hope in hell it can be won against the feed when its almost fed to the second row. It got to the point where scrums where used for nap time. What ever happen to brute force trying to get the ball back from a scrum with a couple of minutes to go. The continual changes, trainers calls etc led to continual stoppages. Bunker taking an eternity to decide a try. These are the things that have taken away the excitement and fatigue.
League has always had changes but it shouldnt take 100+ years to get such a simple game right.
I believe if it aint broke then dont try and fix it.
Captains challenge, just goes to show refs are incompetent (unless its DWZ :yum:)
I suppose you can see by my rant how much rule changes anoy me lol