News Blake Green could reject Canterbury Bulldogs to become a Newcastle Knights coach

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Yeh if we have managed to get out of green I feel confident we have hopefully got burton over the line for 2022 and might be a case of getting green off the books and making some kind of settlement with the panthers for 2021.

If not surely it’s all in in addo carr for 2021 especially if we have to trade someone (extra funds back) as 2022 we have over half our roster off!

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now that Greeny is staying in the Hunter and Burton might not be getting a release for 21 it’ll be interesting to see what Baz will do. Avo and Flanno? Wakes and Flanno? Or TK MVP Lachlan Lewis and Flanno? LOL
I thought Penrith weren’t going to stand in his way if he had a genuine offer that guarantees him playing first grade. The longer it takes, the less confident I’m becoming. Hopefully, if he doesn’t want to come or isn’t coming , He makes it public. And puts us out of our misery.That being said, I really, really hope he signs with us, It would be such a good fit and 1of the last pieces in our success puzzle

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd say it'd be Flanagan and Lewis only because there's no point playing Averillo five-eighth if Burton's coming in 2022, we might as well start playing Averillo at fullback. We really need Burton. Wakeham did himself no favours this year and he's behind Lewis in the packing order. If Bailey Biondi-Odo got to play this year (no reserve grade) he might of been ready for next year.
You'd have to play Averillo there next year because Lewis has no running game and it's Flanagan's weakest part of his game too and it would be a terrible combo.

In a perfect world you would put Averillo at fullback next year but you can't burn a year with Lewis. As long as Averillo is in the spine it's not going to effect his development too much.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ok. I recall the article I read speculating that his signing might have a flow on effect with a few others moving around. Thought he'd signed.
I think they decided to hang on to Clifford. Read it somewhere recently.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
You'd have to play Averillo there next year because Lewis has no running game and it's Flanagan's weakest part of his game too and it would be a terrible combo.

In a perfect world you would put Averillo at fullback next year but you can't burn a year with Lewis. As long as Averillo is in the spine it's not going to effect his development too much.
Who is your fullback/centre next year? Meaney and Hopoate? I agree with what you're saying regarding running games (Averillo's strength) but I wouldn't underestimate the difference between fullback and five-eighth (e.g. Ponga). I'd rather "suffer" for one more year if we don't get Burton, especially when looking at how we're expected to go. Build for the future where it makes sense to.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who is your fullback/centre next year? Meaney and Hopoate?
I'd have Hoppa at fullback he is better then he showed in the second half of the season returning from injury.

It's probably premature to be thinking about it until the final squad is known though.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'd have Hoppa at fullback he is better then he showed in the second half of the season returning from injury.

It's probably premature to be thinking about it until the final squad is known though.
So your second centre is Reimis? We're also starting the season without Okunbor. That would mean Crichton on the wing and Reimis in the centres. That's pretty yuck.

1. Averillo
2. Reimis
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate
5. DWZ

or

1. Meaney
2. Reimis
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate
5. DWZ

or

1. Hopoate
2. Crichton
3. Cotric
4. Reimis
5. DWZ

Is there another option?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
So your second centre is Reimis? We're also starting the season without Okunbor. That would mean Crichton on the wing and Reimis in the centres. That's pretty yuck.

1. Averillo
2. Reimis
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate
5. DWZ

or

1. Meaney
2. Reimis
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate
5. DWZ

or

1. Hopoate
2. Crichton
3. Cotric
4. Hopoate
5. DWZ

Is there another option?
I'd bite the bullet and throw Schoupp in at centre with DWZ and Reimis on the wing.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Spot on

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Penrith weren’t going to stand in his way if he had a genuine offer that guarantees him playing first grade. The longer it takes, the less confident I’m becoming. Hopefully, if he doesn’t want to come or isn’t coming , He makes it public. And puts us out of our misery.That being said, I really, really hope he signs with us, It would be such a good fit and 1of the last pieces in our success puzzle
Actually Penrith have said they wont release him...even if he signs somewhere else and has a guaranteed FG spot. Apparently they're doing it to send a message to all their juniors that they cant just get out of their contracts early if they sign somewhere else (it's a culture thing). Hopefully they make an exception for Burton but it doesnt look good as he is too crucial for them as a backup.

The delay is annoying but I'm sure they're just negotiating with Penrith to get him a release. It would have been better if the club would have announced him signed for 22 just to put us out of our misery.

The fact that it's taking this long might mean we're having some success otherwise Penrith would have just said hell no and he would have been announced already.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Now that Greeny is staying in the Hunter and Burton might not be getting a release for 21 it’ll be interesting to see what Baz will do. Avo and Flanno? Wakes and Flanno? Or TK MVP Lachlan Lewis and Flanno? LOL
You’d think Avo and Flanno. Young but full of talent.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually Penrith have said they wont release him...even if he signs somewhere else and has a guaranteed FG spot. Apparently they're doing it to send a message to all their juniors that they cant just get out of their contracts early if they sign somewhere else (it's a culture thing). Hopefully they make an exception for Burton but it doesnt look good as he is too crucial for them as a backup.

The delay is annoying but I'm sure they're just negotiating with Penrith to get him a release. It would have been better if the club would have announced him signed for 22 just to put us out of our misery.

The fact that it's taking this long might mean we're having some success otherwise Penrith would have just said hell no and he would have been announced already.
Exactly right. They have actually said they will be doing the complete opposite of standing in his way for 2021

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
GREEN TO TURN BACK ON BULLDOGS FOR KNIGHTS

Bulldogs recruit Blake Green is set to stay with the Knights after his short stint in Newcastle in 2020 ended with a long-term knee injury.

Green was signed by the Bulldogs on a one-year-deal, but Brent Read reported the Knights are set to agree to a deal with Canterbury to have him stay in the Hunter and plot a coaching career with the Knights after one final season on the field.

“There was a bit of talk Blake Green might end up staying in Newcastle,” Read said on Triple M.

“He signed a one-year-deal with Canterbury after this season, but there was talk he might stay in Newcastle because they came to him with a deal to stay next year and eventually become a coach.

“It look like that will happen. I would expect that to get rubber-stamped soon.

“Green will play next year in Newcastle when he recovers from his knee reconstruction and eventually become a coach at the club.”

FOX

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We might / must have something in the fire now we let go of green.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wonder how much cash that frees up from our cap?? Are we getting a like for like replacement? Fucking lol Melbourne.