News Billy Slater urges Bulldogs rethink over star recruit Stephen Crichton

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That still doesn't make him an nrl first grade fullback.

I'm just reasoning that there's a reason they signed Taffe. I don't think they have Wilson earmarked for fullback
I never said he would be either, but you said everyone's going off him playing fullback as a junior, which isn't correct.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I never said he would be either, but you said everyone's going off him playing fullback as a junior, which isn't correct.
I classify nsw cup or qld cup as juniors as well. It's not first grade, there's a massive step up and just because they play a position well in nsw/qld cup doesn't mean they can make the step up, as seen with many of our past nsw cup players (wakeham, atoni, rajab etc)

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That still doesn't make him an nrl first grade fullback.

I'm just reasoning that there's a reason they signed Taffe. I don't think they have Wilson earmarked for fullback
If Wilson was a possibility to FB, logically would have been good to see him get a run at the back end of this season when all hope was lost.
Then again I have no idea why Perham was given 18 weeks so no idea how the coach thinks or select players.
Anywho's, we'll find out round 1 after trials.

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think they'll continue to blood Wilson for injury cover and/or development around rep season. He's a very raw product, but personally, I'm a big fan. I love effort players who make mistakes trying too hard, rather than lazy players who make mistakes not trying. You can teach technique, but teaching effort is much harder

I suspect with how fragile our edges are, Critta is worth more in saved points at centre than fullback, irrespective of what he's on. I think Taaffe will be trialled at FB over summer. Taaffe at FB and Critta at centre is much more strike on either edge (whichever side Critta plays on) than Critta at FB and someone else at centre (at least in my humble opinion). I think if Xerri is going as good as Fabri says he is (and let's be honest, he's forgotten more about high performance than I'll ever know), I won't be surprised to see him with a full trial load to get game miles into him and into the side very quickly.

I think the Mann's, Salmon's etc are in fact bench players looking for a fast, agile middle rotation. I think with the dearth of premier middles, Gus and CC have decided to do what the blues used to do; a mobile pack of workhorses with only 2 really big props. Of course there may be some other plan or no plan at all! Kikau and Preston big minutes and rotate the 6 middles. Other one of them will play 14.

I'll be suprised if we don't sign or promote up some big boppers if we let Thommo go. I'm neither a Gus hater or Gus superfan, but he's a smart man. He wouldn't be buying these players without a plan, whether it's good, bad or indifferent.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have near to no trust in Ciraldos selections some absolute erratic decisions this year which were either pointless or outright mind boggling. Wherever he’s placed round 1 is where he will be at least up until the end of any relevant part of the season. Critta won’t do a bad job at the back just a question of what makes the overall side stronger. If it was up to me would run with Taafe FB - Critta centre, defense on both edges will be thoroughly improved and Taafe is reliable at the back.

red-dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Crichton has the potential to be a gun fullback, he will just need time to adjust & learn.

My worry is that our current team is not exactly ideal conditions for a player too learn the trade (between our forward pack that gets dominated every week and our lack of cohesion in the spine).

The main thing will be patience. I can see it hitting round 4 and if he isn't the reincarnation of Billy Slater than the fans will start calling for his head.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Crichton has the potential to be a gun fullback, he will just need time to adjust & learn.

My worry is that our current team is not exactly ideal conditions for a player too learn the trade (between our forward pack that gets dominated every week and our lack of cohesion in the spine).

The main thing will be patience. I can see it hitting round 4 and if he isn't the reincarnation of Billy Slater than the fans will start calling for his head.
Probably why Burton has been unspectacular to say the least at times. Learning the halves trade behind a weak pack has hindered him.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Suck shit Slater. Told you to focus on the disaster of Meaney at the back with Storm. Had an absolute shocker vs Penrith. Keep your grubby nose out of Belmore.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He should be used as a Centre but it's still a terrible headline, sounds like we're rethinking of him coming here when the opposite is more than likely

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Take into consideration we are comparing 5 Crichton games up against 16 Taafe games....nearly 3 times as many games...so stats can be "twisted" either way, to a certain degree :grinning:

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reece Walsh touches the ball way more with 25 try assists and 9 tries in 21 games, and averages 50 more metres
Obviously Walsh would have better over all stats i was just pointing out the errors.
My pick would be to give Taafe first go at fullback before Crichton.
Crichton offers way to much at center,maybe he could roam across field whenever he wants.

The Dog House

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Obviously Walsh would have better over all stats i was just pointing out the errors.
My pick would be to give Taafe first go at fullback before Crichton.
Crichton offers way to much at center,maybe he could roam across field whenever he wants.
I get the point, but I’m saying he gets the errors because of how much he touches the ball. Taaffe makes errors without nearly as many touches

Im going Critta for fullback because I think the ball needs to be in his hands as much as possible, and we don’t have the players to allow him to be a roaming centre like Manu at times or Turbo for NSW

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I get the point, but I’m saying he gets the errors because of how much he touches the ball. Taaffe makes errors without nearly as many touches

Im going Critta for fullback because I think the ball needs to be in his hands as much as possible, and we don’t have the players to allow him to be a roaming centre like Manu at times or Turbo for NSW
Crichton has been pretty underwhelming when he's played at fullback in the Panthers system..

The Dog House

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Crichton has been pretty underwhelming when he's played at fullback in the Panthers system..
only time he played fullback was in 2021, and he was the third choice if I remember correctly. Definitely developed since then, become more athletic, and learnt more. Take that with a full pre season at fullback and I think he’d kill it. Still statistically did well in those games anyway

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
only time he played fullback was in 2021, and he was the third choice if I remember correctly. Definitely developed since then, become more athletic, and learnt more. Take that with a full pre season at fullback and I think he’d kill it. Still statistically did well in those games anyway
Bradyk is that you?!? Lol
We have both have our own opinions and Taafe is my choice!