Bill Noonan Passes Away

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There are a few messages on Facebook, that Bulldogs great Bill Noonan has passed away. Does anyone have further information, or confirmation? Bill was a genuine great, from the era when I started following the club, and has been in a bad way health-wise in recent years.

Last edited:

Bulldog Wrestler

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There are a few messages on Facebook, that Bulldogs great Bill Noonan has passed away. Does anyone have further information, or confirmation? Bill was a genuine great, from the era when I started following the club, and has been in a bad way health-wise in recent years.
My sincere condolences to Bill's family and friends.

May he Rest in Peace.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So sad. I always loved watching him play. A tough forward who was the first signing by Bullfrog. Few years ago disappeared from a nursing home where he had been admitted with dementia.
Condolences to his family and friends, another one now in heaven...

Magilla

Kennel Established
Reaction score
RIP Bill.

I will never forget his involvement in the try of the year in 1974 at Belmore Oval. Bill broke the line and made a long run down field. He was tackled and played the ball. The ball went through some 12 or 13 sets of hands before Keith Harris (I think it was him) scored in the corner. I remember Rex Mossop's call of the game....the ball goes to Hughes, to Hughes, to another Hughes and another Hughes (Eric Hughes a pommie centre). Great memories.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Bill Noonan and Phil Charlton with Peponis hooker. Recall some great times at Belmore watching these guys. Bill a great tight head prop. Tough, hard runner with the ball, good defender. Phil the clever ball player throwing long cut out passes. Both passing this year makes one remember how fleeting life is.

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
Such a sad loss.....saw him play many times......Bill was a great hard and solid front-rower with an occasional stint as hooker. He was never the "star of the show" but always very tough and hard, particularly in defence.........................Condolences to his family........Rest in peace Bill.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
RIP Bill.

I will never forget his involvement in the try of the year in 1974 at Belmore Oval. Bill broke the line and made a long run down field. He was tackled and played the ball. The ball went through some 12 or 13 sets of hands before Keith Harris (I think it was him) scored in the corner. I remember Rex Mossop's call of the game....the ball goes to Hughes, to Hughes, to another Hughes and another Hughes (Eric Hughes a pommie centre). Great memories.
Sorry mate, but it was Norm Thomas who made that long break prior to that famous try, which was probably our best ever. You are correct that it was scored by Keith Harris.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
“Empty” as he was known always gave 100% effort in every game.
Hence the reason for the nickname?
I like it - especially if for effort.
I don’t remember him, my first Bulldog memory is the 1980 Grand Final but it sounds like he was part of the building blocks of the Entertainers. RIP Empty.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bill Noonan and Phil Charlton with Peponis hooker. Recall some great times at Belmore watching these guys. Bill a great tight head prop. Tough, hard runner with the ball, good defender. Phil the clever ball player throwing long cut out passes. Both passing this year makes one remember how fleeting life is.
True. Noonan and Charlton both played at the club from 70-78 as well. Both passed away this year.