Bigger, stronger, faster: Idris heads the new breed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Bulldogs centre Jamal Idris needed to take only five steps for his powerful 115kg frame to generate enough power to hurl a javelin 55 metres at the Sydney Athletic Centre in Homebush.

The ease with which he threw it after a long lay-off posed the question of whether he ever regretted turning his back on a possible Olympic berth for league.

''Occasionally I think [about having] a throw because I didn't do [a] weights [session], and what I'm doing at the Bulldogs might help me throw better,'' said Idris, who represented Australia in discus at the 2007 world youth championships in the Czech Republic and was world-ranked in shot-put and javelin.

''I won't say the idea of how far I might've gone isn't sometimes in the back of my head. When I think about my accomplishments in athletics, I'm proud of them.''

Idris, 19, ranks with Parramatta's Jarryd Hayne, Melbourne's Greg Inglis and Billy Slater, Penrith's Michael Jennings, Canberra's Josh Dugan and Newcastle's Akuila Uate as a generation of boom athletes making the NRL faster and stronger.

Hayne won the 100m hurdles at the schoolboy nationals without training, Uate was a gifted 100m sprinter before focusing on league, while Inglis, Slater and company are born runners.

Idris said a stint in athletics should be a ''must'' for any aspiring league player.

''Throwing taught me to use every part of my body,'' he said. ''I developed power in my legs and it helped instil balance when I ran. It taught me to deal with pressure.

''There's 13 men on each side for the crowd to watch in footy, but in athletics it's just you. It's daunting, but coming into first grade after competing in the world youths, where everyone's eyes were on me in the discus circle, was incredible.

''No one is out there to help you. In footy, 12 mates can help.''

Though, as Parramatta centre Timana Tahu declared after contesting a blood 'n' bone duel with Idris in their round eight match on the Sydney Olympics site, the teenager has ''it''.

''He's a fine young player and showed real toughness out there,'' Tahu, a family friend, said after the clash.

''He's maturing. He's only 19 and played first grade for two years. It's my hope Jamal represents because he's talented.''

Jamal: the vital statistics

Born: Auburn, NSW

Nickname: Jammer

Position: Centre/Wing

Height: 192cm (6' 3")

Weight: 106kg (233lbs)

First-grade games: 32

First-grade tries: 13

First grade debut: Against Parramatta at ANZ Stadium - August 23, 2008

Representative teams: Country Origin (2010),

Indigenous All Stars (2010)

Awards: 2009 Dally M Rookie of the Year

SMH

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
We have our very own Superstar :grinning:

No need for Hayne or GI.

Idris will be the next big thing, thought literally he is already the next big thing. :grinning:

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Shame the bloke costs us tries every week in defence.

Anastabation

Reaction score
I think its fair to say he has improved in those areas over the last 4 odd weeks though, berries.

bigboi22

Waterboy
Reaction score
And a lot slower... He's dead slow off the mark. Watch highights of Lote running past him with ease.

BulldogzLegend

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And a lot slower... He's dead slow off the mark. Watch highights of Lote running past him with ease.
apart from inglis how many 115kg blokes you know that could keep up with lote??
Idris is quickly becoming our x factor and he should stay in the centres last few weeks he has developed a GREAT offload anyone watch his offload to robertson in country vs city match?Thing of beauty....

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I think its fair to say he has improved in those areas over the last 4 odd weeks though, berries.
Was an awful decision rushing up against the dragqueens that lead to the Cooper try...

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs centre Jamal Idris needed to take only five steps for his powerful 115kg frame

Jamal: the vital statistics
Weight: 106kg (233lbs)
Lol, i thought that the DT was the only place for poor journalism/editing... 115kg or 106kg. which one is it???

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Still has a lot of work to do on his body. He looks very flabby.

If he can drop the babyfat and gain some muscle (should be easy given his physique) he will be twice as deadly.

His running style could also be more refined and would give him a lot more speed.

Out coaching staff are duds.

Status
Not open for further replies.