News Bennett says suspend season

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
South Sydney Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett has savaged the NRL's response to the coronavirus crisis, calling on the league to suspend the current season.

Despite almost every professional sports league around the world being postponed, the NRL made the decision to proceed as usual for Round 1, only opting to take the league behind closed doors from Round 2 onward.

However, the decision left Bennett fuming, with the legendary Souths boss believing that the NRL is "playing with fire" by continuing with the current season.

"Look ... the show doesn't have to go on," Bennett told the Daily Telegraph.

"I would be suspending the season indefinitely ... and you would have to assume we don't play again this year.

"The most important thing in our life is our health. Football is not life and death.

"It's only a matter of time before a player gets coronavirus. It's on the cards. We are all part of the community, we aren't quarantined from society.

"I understand there are arrangements with broadcasters and fans and corporate sponsors, but I don't believe we should have a mickey mouse competition.

"So let's suspend the season. I would rather suspend the season than put bandaids all over it."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nine.com.au/article/17889984-2c0f-4598-be0a-4407d230f156

I believe the season will be suspended by round three. Bordering on negligence if the NRL continue to allow the season to run whilst other major competitions around the world have been suspended.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe there won’t be a second round next week

Haza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wonder if Bennett would still want the season to be suspended if souths suspend his payment too.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe the season will be suspended by round three. Bordering on negligence if the NRL continue to allow the season to run whilst other major competitions around the world have been suspended.
NRL negligent? Never. They are way more professional and have much better leadership than mickey mouse comps like the EPL, NBA and MLB :laughing::laughing:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s all bullshit, it better not be but will
Be fuck it all.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wonder if Bennett would still want the season to be suspended if souths suspend his payment too.
How old is Bennett? Pretty sure he is in the high risk category of dying from this virus. Don't think he is too concerned about the money to be honest, he would have plenty of that.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Bennett doesn't want the season suspended. They just showed his press conference on Fo League and he said he wants the whole NRL to be played out of Queensland as it's warmer and safer if all the players are in the same area.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who took the odds for us to win the comp??? If the season is suspended can you cash in? Lol
Sadly, it's inevitable. The statisticians for the world health organisation are predicting that 40-70% of the world's population will contract coronavirus, with as many as 2% dying. This is going to get ugly, and sport doesn't really mean shit.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
How old is Bennett? Pretty sure he is in the high risk category of dying from this virus. Don't think he is too concerned about the money to be honest, he would have plenty of that.
I wanna see the old flog in a Hazmat suit. Fuck off Wayne, bingo is calling.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Greenburg is holding a press conference at 10am. Likely to announce that they're suspending the season.

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
On the plus side if they suspend the season we play less games without foran and he could be back by the time it resumes. For at least one game anyway.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
NRL press conference right now where they have officially announced... Nothing at all.

They have a pandemic expert, biosecurity expert, and they're watching the situation closely. No change yet but will be reassessed after round 2.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Warriors are staying in Australia and their home games are being moved to Australia

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
They basically said that if the season is suspended then they'll need the government to bail them out or the NRL will be on the verge of bankruptcy.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He was 48 in 1914 so pretty old