Ben Roberts - 2011 Discussion Thread

Should Ben Roberts Play Next Week against the Dragons?

• Yes - Starting Side

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • Yes - Bench

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 52.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Agree mostly, except I'd add our kicking game which has been a joke.

There's no way it has been that bad. We've found grass more often than not on the long kicks. Rarely put it out on the full. Our short kicking game needs improvement no doubt, and in fairness to Roberts we was strong in this area however only with the one kick into the ingoal which he can often fall in love with even when we're 3 on 1.

The fact remains, changing the halves won't change a thing.

I've thought to myself on a few occasions how its funny that the same people who demand Lett remain in the team because he backed up on a break, citing that "when was the last time Goodwin did that", don't use the same theory in relation to Keating. He has backed up the ball carrier, resulting in line breaks and/or tries, more times this year than Ben Roberts has in his whole career. Yet I'm not hearing "when was the last time Roberts did that". Sure he isn't perfect, but he has played a part in a big handful of the tries we've scored this year but only receives criticism.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I thought Moore said that Roberts would get a cahnce to prove himself before contract negotiations with him.

STILL WAITING MOORE..

And yet we have an average Redhead with the about 20% brilliance to 80% dead basic plays.

Sure Roberts made more errors, because HE WAS ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING OUT THERE.

Both Hodkinson and Keating need a rocket up their arse. They are the halves combination and should be creating problems for other sides.

blue&whitepride

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought Moore said that Roberts would get a cahnce to prove himself before contract negotiations with him.

STILL WAITING MOORE..

And yet we have an average Redhead with the about 20% brilliance to 80% dead basic plays.

Sure Roberts made more errors, because HE WAS ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING OUT THERE.

Both Hodkinson and Keating need a rocket up their arse. They are the halves combination and should be creating problems for other sides.
This is becomming a dud discussion as the whispers are growing louder that Ben will be a Shark very soon

P

Paint.

There's no way it has been that bad. We've found grass more often than not on the long kicks. Rarely put it out on the full. Our short kicking game needs improvement no doubt, and in fairness to Roberts we was strong in this area however only with the one kick into the ingoal which he can often fall in love with even when we're 3 on 1.

The fact remains, changing the halves won't change a thing.

I've thought to myself on a few occasions how its funny that the same people who demand Lett remain in the team because he backed up on a break, citing that "when was the last time Goodwin did that", don't use the same theory in relation to Keating. He has backed up the ball carrier, resulting in line breaks and/or tries, more times this year than Ben Roberts has in his whole career. Yet I'm not hearing "when was the last time Roberts did that". Sure he isn't perfect, but he has played a part in a big handful of the tries we've scored this year but only receives criticism.
So you think that Lett should be dropped?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im not sure a bench full of props is the answer, Benny would add some spark and direction when the boys get tired and stop thinking, he would add another dimension to the interchange relieving at lock, hooker or the halves, whoever is kaput.

We Want Moore

bullfrog
Reaction score

STILL WAITING MOORE..

The drug's must be waring off!

One average game from both come on. Keating has been on fire the last 7 weeks, Roberts has brain explosion's.

P

Paint.

One average game from both come on. Keating has been on fire the last 7 weeks, Roberts has brain explosion's.
Keating has not been on fire, unless you consider his hair to be burning, or you think he's hot.

Roberts has not even been given a CHANCE. Other than the Panthers game last year, when was the last time Roberts had a 'brain explosion'?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Explain the Storm, Dragons, and Brisbane loss then.

They've been dead set average, and only really been "brilliant" against teams that even Roberts would have carved up against.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
To make the replies to this thread a bit simplier and probably dispel some doubts, how about we get a crowd to the Crest this saturday, 3pm
to watch the boys go around in the NSW Cup. Probably see Moore and Co. there as well checking out their form.

Mr. Sparkle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not sure a bench full of props is the answer, Benny would add some spark and direction when the boys get tired and stop thinking, he would add another dimension to the interchange relieving at lock, hooker or the halves, whoever is kaput.
Halatau OUT Roberts IN

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Letts a replacement, not the incumbant Goodwin is, so he wont be "dropped" he will simply return to the reggies when Goodwins fit to return.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Explain the Storm, Dragons, and Brisbane loss then.

They've been dead set average, and only really been "brilliant" against teams that even Roberts would have carved up against.
Did you at any time expect that with a massively rebuilt side in the early rounds would beat the top 3 teams away?

If you did you expected too much and maybe should lower your expectations to reality level.

I cant believe how impatient some people are. Why do we have to sack the coach and drop half the team because we arent a top 3 team so soon into the year considering.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
To make the replies to this thread a bit simplier and probably dispel some doubts, how about we get a crowd to the Crest this saturday, 3pm
to watch the boys go around in the NSW Cup. Probably see Moore and Co. there as well checking out their form.
Damn great idea Mr CBDog..

I'll probably be out there Saturday at the Crest, unless I get wrangled into doing more wedding planning!

rwalker999

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Capital idea CBDog !

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score

Not sure how you boiled what I wrote down to that but i'll answer the question regardless.

He can't be "dropped" because he was an injury replacement. He will most likely be returned to NSW Cup. However, considering Goodwin has stated he has a broken foot I'm not sure whether Lett will be required for longer in FG.

Based purely on form, I would think that Goodwin's position as an incumbent winger would be under serious review.

The point I was making in my post was that a lot of people use certain arguments to suit them in one case but ignore the same argument in another case if it hampers the outcome, and I was adding an example.

nassman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you at any time expect that with a massively rebuilt side in the early rounds would beat the top 3 teams away?

If you did you expected too much and maybe should lower your expectations to reality level.

I cant believe how impatient some people are. Why do we have to sack the coach and drop half the team because we arent a top 3 team so soon into the year considering.
Finally a voice of reason. This is a rebuilding year for the club. Top 8 at the end of the year is a bonus, and we're on track for maybe a top 6 spot. We're OVERACHIEVING at the moment, and it looks like we still have quite a bit of improvement in us this season. We're going to have a squad that will be a premiership threat for the next 5 years, full of young talented footballers who will only get better with every game they play.

STFU and enjoy the ride.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL look at all you nuffies f#$king panicking after a few losses and blaming it all on Keating and Hodkinson.. get your hands off it.

Roberts had 6 f$%king years, dont come on here proclaiming he hasnt had a chance. If he was playing well enough we wouldnt have gone and bought another 5/8 in the first place.

Just STFU and support your team.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Finally a voice of reason. This is a rebuilding year for the club. Top 8 at the end of the year is a bonus, and we're on track for maybe a top 6 spot. We're OVERACHIEVING at the moment, and it looks like we still have quite a bit of improvement in us this season. We're going to have a squad that will be a premiership threat for the next 5 years, full of young talented footballers who will only get better with every game they play.

STFU and enjoy the ride.
I get what your saying, but no way is top 8 a bonus for the club, anything less is a failure, this isn't Parra, we have a great team, there are combinations that need to gel but even allowing for that we are easy a top 8 team.

Roberts had 6 f$%king years, dont come on here proclaiming he hasnt had a chance. If he was playing well enough we wouldnt have gone and bought another 5/8 in the first place.

Just STFU and support your team.
Hard to start with "Roberts sucks", and follow with, "STFU and support your team". Also, it's kind of stupid to come on to a forum built specifically to discuss the Bulldogs, and then post STFU and support your team when people are doing the aforementioned discussing.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I get what your saying, but no way is top 8 a bonus for the club, anything less is a failure, this isn't Parra, we have a great team, there are combinations that need to gel but even allowing for that we are easy a top 8 team.

Hard to start with "Roberts sucks", and follow with, "STFU and support your team". Also, it's kind of stupid to come on to a forum built specifically to discuss the Bulldogs, and then post STFU and support your team when people are doing the aforementioned discussing.
Where in my post did I say Roberts sucks nuffie? Show me..

You think its stupid for me to say STFU and support your team to people (fanboys) putting undue blame on certain players for our losses?? I disagree. Yes this is the place to discuss the Bulldogs and at no stage did I say STFU to that idea, I was talking about 1 particular part in 1 particular thread, and true to alot of the people on here, you tried to twist it into something else.

Get out of my face with that childish BS.

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Where in my post did I say Roberts sucks nuffie? Show me..

You think its stupid for me to say STFU and support your team to people (fanboys) putting undue blame on certain players for our losses?? I disagree. Yes this is the place to discuss the Bulldogs and at no stage did I say STFU to that idea, I was talking about 1 particular part in 1 particular thread, and true to alot of the people on here, you tried to twist it into something else.

Get out of my face with that childish BS.
What did he prove in his "6 f$%king years" in your words and view? That he was awesome but should be replaced anyway?

I don't see much/anything on here about people blaming any single players for our losses, there is debate over who would be better between a few of our players........ given the title of the thread is Ben Roberts - 2011 Discussion Thread, I don't think it's that big a shock that there may be some talk over him possibly being better/worse than someone else, do you?

TBH you’re the only one carrying on like a ********, but that may just be because you were unable to comprehend what everyone else has been writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.