Ben Barba Stood Down Indefinitely

Status
Not open for further replies.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was under the assumption that Barba didnt want to play right now. How can you play football when your life is falling apart? He had his family which was a strong support for him. But when that fell apart he lost so much.

Didnt barba walk off at half time against canberra and say he doesnt want to plat football anymore?

He will come back when he is ready. He wont walk away from league all together. I think he is home sick, he is a bit confused and lost. He has a drinking and gambling problem which he is getting help for. That is not something that can ever be fixed but hopefully he can control it.

I think 2 weeks is too early for him. That will be rushing him back. At the end of the day when barba wants to play again he will come back to the club.Then they will decide if he has ticked all the boxes and then it will come down to if he is phycically ready to play. I doubt he will walk back in to the team. He will need some physical conditioning. You cant sit out a month of footy and walk back in. I know barbas ability mean he can play tomorrow but can he get through a full game and as good as his best? I dont know.

Mr Bulldogs

Kennel Legend
Administrator
Reaction score
Well there you go... His actual Facebook has been deleted and so has his Instagram but not his twitter

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's been quiet on twitter though. Anything from FB, I would take with a grain of salt.

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard a rumour today about Benny today from someone who has an association with the club. Not sure if true but if is it wudnt surprise me if he sits out the whole year. As Bellamy said on NRL 360 the other night, if barbas issues were just alcohol and gambling, why stand him down? Part of the recovery from that would be to get him in a team environment where his teammates support him, get him in a routine. To get him away from football to me indicates a very serious issue that shudder not be taken lightly. It would be unreal to have him back in 2 weeks, but I wudnt hold my breath.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bulldogs Ban Talking To Barba

Canterbury Bulldogs hooker Josh Reynolds said Sunday that he and teammates have been told by the club to not talk with suspended star Ben Barba.

"The club think it's the best way for him to get away from everything," explained Reynolds on Triple M's pre-game The Offload show on Sunday afternoon.

Reynolds acknowledge the club had told players that, "It's probably best if we just don't talk to him at the moment."

Barba, the 2012 Dally M Medal winner, had been suspended following off field personal issues.

When Barba will return is unknown, but Triple M's own rugby league expert Matthew Johns said that his sources told him, "They are trying to get Ben Barba back on the park, within, not this week but the weekend after."

The Bulldogs lost their opening game of the 2013 season to the North Queensland Cowboys, 24-12, on Saturday night.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
I heard a rumour today about Benny today from someone who has an association with the club. Not sure if true but if is it wudnt surprise me if he sits out the whole year. As Bellamy said on NRL 360 the other night, if barbas issues were just alcohol and gambling, why stand him down? Part of the recovery from that would be to get him in a team environment where his teammates support him, get him in a routine. To get him away from football to me indicates a very serious issue that shudder not be taken lightly. It would be unreal to have him back in 2 weeks, but I wudnt hold my breath.
If only I had a dollar for every time that word came up with this story, Josh sounded very genuine and humble today in his interview on the grill team, he said the players don't even know, let alone someone who is just an acquaintance to the club like you say. Read post #461 and you will get your answer, in terms of a confidentiality aspect, because when your dealing with medical professionals, there is no such thing as an "inside source". They work in best interest of their patient, and if they breach privacy and confidentiality, then its the professionals head on the chopping board. No details about estimated returns, have any substance for this exact reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also was reading that on the grill team post whats up with that

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Firstly "Canterbury Bulldogs hooker Josh Reynolds" okay!

Secondly, I find it a little odd that the club has banned the players from talking to Ben. From a friendship perspective how can someone tell them they can't talk to their mate & not give any sort of support.

I don't know I'm getting mixed feelings about this.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
Merge with other thread.

I can understand it, on the grounds that Ben himself asked for privacy(when you go through certain issues in life, in some cases you only want family, and 2-3 close mates around). Secondly, like Josh said which I think some of you missed was, their conversation would be football based, having a conversation about football now would probably upset him more, given that he isn't playing with the team at the moment. They may not be verbally talking to him on the phone, but I remember when this story first broke out, it was either JT or Josh (maybe both), who said they sent him a text message of support. That's all you need really.

I can see a media spin come out of this, which wouldn't shock me. However the club isn't suggesting the players don't keep a friendship with Ben, they just want Ben to have his space, and benefit from this, so he can return quicker. No issue from my point of view.

Last edited by a moderator:

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I hope matty johns sourced are correct.
He said maybe 2 or 3 weeks more!
surely watching his mate daly cherry evans and others carving up in round 1 should encorage barba to do everything in his power to get bk onto the field.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It all depends on his mindset. When your family is falling apart, and you are reaching out to the bottle, are you really thinking about your day to day job?

Ask yourself that.

Now think about if you'd go back to work only 2 weeks into alcohol rehab?

You have your answer right there. I would say (as an absolute guestimate) expect Barba out for 4 to 8 weeks to get cleared from rehab, and then however long after that to repair the things he wants to in life, and finally once all that is settled, then head out to start training, and then to play footy again.

If I had to guess all up I'd be thinking around 8-10 weeks before we *might* see Barba back.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It all depends on his mindset. When your family is falling apart, and you are reaching out to the bottle, are you really thinking about your day to day job?

Ask yourself that.

Now think about if you'd go back to work only 2 weeks into alcohol rehab?

You have your answer right there. I would say (as an absolute guestimate) expect Barba out for 4 to 8 weeks to get cleared from rehab, and then however long after that to repair the things he wants to in life, and finally once all that is settled, then head out to start training, and then to play footy again.

If I had to guess all up I'd be thinking around 8-10 weeks before we *might* see Barba back.
I believe it will be shorter then that. Ben needs to do something in his life that he believes he is good at. It could be repairing his marriage or just playing footy. From here he will tackle his demons & move on.

Is there something else more sinister behind the scenes, hopefully not!

Packy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All I can say is that I want him to come back after a win. I don't want the ridiculous expectation that he win us the game to be floating around.

H

hazem_elmasri

All I can say is that I want him to come back after a win. I don't want the ridiculous expectation that he win us the game to be floating around.
If we even are to win at all this season :(

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
RUMOUR:

Before you read, remember this is a rumour which i was told by one of my co-workers who was talking to high powered lawyers.

Now,
Apparently when my manager was speaking to these lawyers at the rabbithos vs roosters game, they were saying that barba may well be not playing this year and that mundine and khoder nasser have set up a plan to get barba back with his ex-wife. Now the rumour is pretty much this: Ben barba will sit out the whole year to fix his so called problems and then ask for a release from the bulldogs to go sign with cowboys to live closer with his childhood love. If this does happen, consider bulldogs to be in the stages of "rebuilding".

EDIT: This does fit in with the context of todd greenberg saying "it could 6 weeks, 6 months". So some serious **** is happening other than gambling and alcohol and his wife.

I am not saying you all are expected to believe it. But just another rumour doing the rounds. It does seem like nasser will yet again drive one of our biggest superstar away from the club and make us suffer.

El_Magic

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
RUMOUR:

Before you read, remember this is a rumour which i was told by one of my co-workers who was talking to high powered lawyers.

Now,
Apparently when my manager was speaking to these lawyers at the rabbithos vs roosters game, they were saying that barba may well be not playing this year and that mundine and khoder nasser have set up a plan to get barba back with his ex-wife. Now the rumour is pretty much this: Ben barba will sit out the whole year to fix his so called problems and then ask for a release from the bulldogs to go sign with cowboys to live closer with his childhood love. If this does happen, consider bulldogs to be in the stages of "rebuilding".

EDIT: This does fit in with the context of todd greenberg saying "it could 6 weeks, 6 months". So some serious **** is happening other than gambling and alcohol and his wife.

I am not saying you all are expected to believe it. But just another rumour doing the rounds. It does seem like nasser will yet again drive one of our biggest superstar away from the club and make us suffer.
Wouldn't surpise me at all. Anythings possible when those two are involved. Would be extremely disappointed with barba if he did that. I fully expect him to end up at the cows but I was thinking after his current contract

Status
Not open for further replies.