Ben Barba - 2011 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dullbogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
One on one tackling will never be his strong point. I'm more interested in his positional play. He hasn't been tested on his own at the back as yet.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
finally barry, someone who knows what they are talking about. Fullbacks arent there for defence. i love Patten, but he was a disgraceful defender. also how many tries in his career did he let in by watching the ball go over the line only for someone to swoop on it ans score. Patten was brilliant around the ball, backed up all game. Barba with experience imo be even better than patten, and barba can also ball play if neccessary.
all these imbosiles who go on about his defence have no idea.
if you are not concerned at fullback barba being overwhelmed, then you have no clue

patten before 2010 was very good and generally very safe at the back

barba has plenty of work to do to get to that level of expertise

C

chipandchase

One on one tackling will never be his strong point. I'm more interested in his positional play. He hasn't been tested on his own at the back as yet.
i expect him to be actually out of position more than once this year, like Hayne. But like Hayne, he will win us games.
if he score 2 and lets in 1, then we take net profit and win the game, i think that is what you are going to get from Barba, same as Bowen

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i expect him to be actually out of position more than once this year, like Hayne. But like Hayne, he will win us games.
if he score 2 and lets in 1, then we take net profit and win the game, i think that is what you are going to get from Barba, same as Bowen
like last year?

net profit my ass

C

chipandchase

if you are not concerned at fullback barba being overwhelmed, then you have no clue

patten before 2010 was very good and generally very safe at the back

barba has plenty of work to do to get to that level of expertise
"overwhelmed" ??? in what reference?? by tackling Uate? any player would be and no player would have stopped him, thats my point.
you are too negative Rod, he will learn and he will make mistakes, but his try scoreing ability will out weigh that

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
"overwhelmed" ??? in what reference?? by tackling Uate? any player would be and no player would have stopped him, thats my point.
you are too negative Rod, he will learn and he will make mistakes, but his try scoreing ability will out weigh that
just dont play him at fullback in defence thats all

hide him in the defensive line until we get the ball, like how we hid el masri on the last tackle in 2009

C

chipandchase

hide him in the defensive line until we get the ball, like how we hid el masri on the last tackle in 2009
your missing the point rod, lets make sure that he doesnt need to make any tackles, thats what the front line is supposed to do mate
he is there for attack

Big Nick

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't hide him, he's been looked after enough now. It's sink or swim, he needs to work on areas that need improvement. That's the only way he's going to improve his overall game.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
your missing the point rod, lets make sure that he doesnt need to make any tackles, thats what the front line is supposed to do mate
he is there for attack
ok ok but everytime his weakness is judged to have cost us a try, where an average fullback would have stopped it, i require an attacking move that leads to a try where an average player wouldn't have done it

but i dont think a net profit is possible if they bomb to him as a regularity

C

chipandchase

ok ok but everytime his weakness is judged to have cost us a try, where an average fullback would have stopped it, i require an attacking move that leads to a try where an average player wouldn't have done it

but i dont think a net profit is possible if they bomb to him as a regularity
but rod you are judgeing him very harsh and he hasnt even let in any tries yet, you cant count Uate as slater or any fullback would not stop him

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
but rod you are judgeing him very harsh and he hasnt even let in any tries yet, you cant count Uate as slater or any fullback would not stop him
lets evaluate the situation after round 1, the opposition will test him under a few bombs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Times have changed though and modern fullbacks ARE every now and then expected to stop tries that used to be pretty much scored. Look at the last few years and count how many times wingers and fullbacks pulled off amazing try saving efforts by getting underneath the ball when it seemed they had no chance, somehow holding them up, forcing them over the sideline or stopping them short or stopping their momentum for just those few seconds while reinforcements come in and help out. How many times do you see this a round now? 7? 8? 10?

Guys like Dugan, Slater, Hayne, Gidley, Boyd and so on continually pull off these stops and a guy like Slater is a midget. It's all about technique, bravery, strength and determination.

Obviously the front line needs to do a better job of preventing more work for a fullback but line breaks happen against the best defences and although a fullback certainly can't stop a try every time, to say that it's OK because our last fullback was a turnstyle or that guy's too strong is a cop out. Saving tries like that wins games in a lot of instances and as a fullback these days you have to prevent more than you have a hand in. That's the job nowadays.

Barba did great with Taylor but was not brave enough against Gallen and Uate (even though they would have scored anyway) and was pathetic with Dugan. It's too early to tell and I'm definitely going to be patient but people need to understand we can't just look the other way anymore about ANY fullbacks glaring defensive weaknesses. Hopefully Barba pulls off more challenges like he did on Taylor and learns from each game and he won't be a problem.

But even the great Luke Patten was a complete turnstyle the last two years and we can't tolerate that sort of thing any longer. Still, people should be patient and understanding with Barba if he makes similar mistakes for the first half of the season.

hotdiggitydogs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
stupid comment from someone who obviously has no idea. no one and i mean no one in the game can stop uate from 1 metre out.
If you read me comment i said this occurred on a few occasions, the other was the rooster player.
I'm not insinuating he has to stop every try but out of 3 attempts he only stopped 1 that's 2 tries that we could be down in a game situation which means a possible 12 points just in-case u couldn't count

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
compared to the last couple of years where he had no technique or correct attitude in defence and virtually didn't really try/commit/apply himself, he showed in the all stars game he is using better technique and that he's having a go now

when he got his body under uate but just wasn't able to hold him out in the end, barba was absolutely filthy with himself. completely livid. with that display of effort, attitude and finally, emotion, it put a smile on my face. at least he's on the right path

i'm gonna be giving the little bloke not only my undivided support, but i will certainly be reserving judgement for at the very least, the first couple of months of footy to see how he progresses in his new position and also his first real opportunity to be cementing a starting spot in the nrl, as that was never likely to happen in the halves at that level for him

i understand and to some extent agree with alot of what has been shared by some folks in this thread, but i'll stay with my comments above

matauce

Baller
Reaction score
cmon barba u need to carve the dragons this week. In case moore has some funny ideas....

BEN BARBA - DALLY M 2011

C

chipandchase

If you read me comment i said this occurred on a few occasions, the other was the rooster player.
I'm not insinuating he has to stop every try but out of 3 attempts he only stopped 1 that's 2 tries that we could be down in a game situation which means a possible 12 points just in-case u couldn't count
honestly you guys make me laught from your lack of understanding of the game. he was never going to stop Uate or Dugan, no one would have regardless of where they were.
what people should be focusing on is how they got through the line in the first place, it is the front lines job to defend.
if a fullback makes a try savings tackle then that is a bonus.
have you ever played fullback i ask ? if you have then you would understand that you could not stop a man of Uate power that close to the line.
he stream rolled Thurston twice, so what do we do with Thurston? sack him from NQ, QLD and AUS, this just makes your arguement look so stupid. Thurston missed one on one twice, straight through him. But no lets focus on Barba who has less than 1 metre to defend in.
all you guys do is just find something to bag him with, so are all so negative.
he is 21, we should be supporting him and acknowledging what he bring to the table in attack and around the rucks in attack.

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
Guys like Dugan, Slater, Hayne, Gidley, Boyd and so on continually pull off these stops and a guy like Slater is a midget. It's all about technique, bravery, strength and determination.
Such as the feet first technique?

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
I have a new found respect for Benny Barbs ... he's a Darwin boy.

That's Joel Romelo country ... :becky:

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There are some very good points made in this thread, however to be fair to teh guy I say lets reserve our judgment until after 3 or so games.

He has to learn combinations etc. with certain players and gel into the new role.

Status
Not open for further replies.