Ben Barba, 2010 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

habibsta

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barba needs a lot more game time imagine parra leaving hayne on the bench for Jeff Robson. Moore has to pull his head out this week his issue as a coach is he has said Roberts and Kimmorley are the best halves at the club. If he puts Barba in he is admitting he got it wrong he is one who last year didnt want Barba at the club. If it wasnt for Dymock and Terry Lamb he wouldnt be there.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Are we actively trying to resign Barba or has he actually resigned ? Giving a guy 15 mins game time would probably not be helping the club resign him IMO.

From what he has shown from his limited opportunities I would think other clubs would be lining up to sign him as I am sure he isn't demanding top dollar.

With Roberts another year to run on his contract and Bulldogs actively looking for a long term half outside the club, I can not see any reason why Barba cant expect the same treatment next year.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Anyone notice that when Ben Barba is on at the same time as Ben Roberts, Barba plays a Winger role? He's standing outside of Goodwin.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
There's no point in Barba being on the field when Kimmorley & Ennis aren't going to shift the ball to him. I think leaving Barba on the bench for 65 minutes had more to do with trying to find the rhythm and cohesion in attack without injecting Barba as a complicating variable.

I don't know about you guys but I see Barba as a natural first receiver even though there are question marks over his defence and organization skills. I would give him a shot next year at 7.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
There's no point in Barba being on the field when Kimmorley & Ennis aren't going to shift the ball to him. I think leaving Barba on the bench for 65 minutes had more to do with trying to find the rhythm and cohesion in attack without injecting Barba as a complicating variable.
Apparently that's exactly what it's all about.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Giving a guy 15 mins game time would probably not be helping the club resign him IMO.
Actually, only giving a guy 15 mins game time would help him resign.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You raise a good point.

We keep saying he's not a half, and he's more a FB, but where has he played his whole life?
Fullback? Ahem no.
To say we see him as "more of a fullback" sounds like a cop out excuse to not have him starting.

How they handle his development will be interesting.
I think he'll need to bide his time as a bench player, and his only real shot at the halves will come if there are injuries.

Just hope our handling of his progression to FG doesn't backfire and he tells us to fekk off !

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I don't know about you guys but I see Barba as a natural first receiver even though there are question marks over his defence and organization skills. I would give him a shot next year at 7.
You raise a good point.

We keep saying he's not a half, and he's more a FB, but where has he played his whole life?
Fullback? Ahem no.
To say we see him as "more of a fullback" sounds like a cop out excuse to not have him starting.

How they handle his development will be interesting.
I think he'll need to bide his time as a bench player, and his only real shot at the halves will come if there are injuries.

Just hope our handling of his progression to FG doesn't backfire and he tells us to fekk off !

rui_a

Waterboy
Reaction score
dont think he will re-sign, moore isnt giving him a chance and barba says that his favourite position is fullback and i cant see patten loosing his spot.
moore has shown that he is going to stick with roberts and kimmorley in the halves so i really cant see him staying, really hope he does as i think that he will become an awsome player and im sure alot of clubs would be willing to take a chance on him and offer him a good contract considering the potential he has shown.

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
dont think he will re-sign, moore isnt giving him a chance and barba says that his favourite position is fullback and i cant see patten loosing his spot.
moore has shown that he is going to stick with roberts and kimmorley in the halves so i really cant see him staying, really hope he does as i think that he will become an awsome player and im sure alot of clubs would be willing to take a chance on him and offer him a good contract considering the potential he has shown.
im pretty sure patten is due to retire at the end of this year.. wait... how long is he contracted for (patten)?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
just in case you chose to ignore my previous post

53 minutes against the warriors
49 minutes against the dragons
33 minutes against the souths

barba getting 15 minutes isnt typical, so stop using it as the prime example

astroboy

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Well Moore said if he keeps performing well he will get a chance to be in the starting line-up.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
And the other 3 games, Rod?

He was only brought on for those minutes against Souths and the Dragons because we were getting hammered on the scoreboard and Moore was desperate for points. If it was a closer game, we would have seen him much later. Against the Warriors, Moore knew he was under pressure to put him on earlier, due to his mistakes with the games against Souths and Dragons.

I'd be happy if he got 40-45mins each game at this stage, but he's only averaging 30. In a side lacking any kind of unpredictability, we need him out there for more than he's getting.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
He was only brought on for those minutes against Souths and the Dragons because we were getting hammered on the scoreboard and Moore was desperate for points. If it was a closer game, we would have seen him much later. Against the Warriors, Moore knew he was under pressure to put him on earlier, due to his mistakes with the games against Souths and Dragons
so you think moore should sacrifice what he thinks is the best move for the team in a game just to benefit ben barba's developement?

he felt that the game was a tough grind and that we were on top of them but it was always a close encounter and bringing on the young featherweight could be a risk in defence

just like he felt that when we were behind the barba is a great option for some points

dont forget that this team is not called Canterbury-Barba Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.