Belmore Sports Ground - 7 News

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like the rest of the world os building these amazing stadiums... commbank stadium and the new SFS stadium are very boring designs

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As per the video, 50yrs since the last upgrade so the next one needs to be significant. Unfortunately there’s not enough room to build a proper stadium unless you put a roof on it and turn it east-west. Unless of course the govt acquires some houses or builds a stand over the (soon-to-be) Metro line…both significant additional funding requirements that make it easy for a govt to say no.
I've wondered why grounds seemingly have to to go north-south. I'm sure I've read the reasoning but forget. There is a ground that doesn't do this l which I also forget lol. It might be northwest-southeast, so not far from N-S. If it's done so the sun goes over from side to side, why? One team can get an advantage from that sometimes, depending on which ground. If you had an east-west orientation, the sun would be no more an advantage or disadvantage to both teams.

If an E-W ground could be done, we could build an awesome stadium at Belmore. All the space is to the east and west and none at either end ffs.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like the rest of the world os building these amazing stadiums... commbank stadium and the new SFS stadium are very boring designs
That's Australia for ya man. We have such boring architecture. There's a lack of culture and vision in general too, compared with many other first world nations. Probably doesn't help when they want to build sports facilities on the cheap.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It all comes back to funding. Most overseas stadiums are privately funded or in the NFL’s case local government are fighting other cities for a team and will bend over backwards to fund stadiums.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m sure Transport NSW would be happy to provide the airspace above the railway line for a nominal rent if we built a car park for commuters incorporating a grandstand and corporate facilities. The upgrade to the metro rail (completion 2024) will soon start and on/off ramp from the eastern end of Belmore station would provide easy access to the car park and to Belmore Sports Ground. A car park built there could have 7 different north and west street entrances/exits, Lark, Hall, Isabel, Rodman, Loftus, Campsie and Alma. The 2 south exits via Tudor and Thorncraft the sort distance to Canterbury Rd. Yes, they are all small streets but sharing 9 entrances/exits means they each don’t have to carry a lot of traffic.

The Belmore line loops into Lidcombe and Liverpool with resulting connections to the Northern and Southern lines. Basically you can catch a train to Belmore with 1 change from most places in Sydney, plus regional west, north and south.

A roof over it means an east west aspect is not an issue. Consuming the Peter Moore Fields means it would be easy to set up a bus interchange, a smaller version of the interchange at Stadium Oz.

We can’t keep moving sports facilities further and further west, we have to start using the wasted air space above public facilities. It’s the same logic as apartment blocks, go up and fit more in.

Always a Bulldog

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belmore's greatest issue is parking (or lack thereof).

They'd have to build a multi story carpark on the training fields, and even then the arterial roads around it wouldn't cope with the traffic.

The station, sure it's close, but its not on an easily accessible line either.

As much as I hate to say it, there aren't many redeeming reasons to upgrade Belmore, it's as simple as that.

The new Panthers stadium will get used for Womans FIFA World Cup, has easily accessible parking (and Panthers right next door), and a station on a major train line.
Some of your facts are not up to date,belmore station is being upgraded to a metropolitan station,the ground is on bus lines virtually at the door,the club benefits with extra trade,for restaurants and bars,Belmore was always a hive of activity,which store owners in the area would love to have back,also the old parramatta stadium wasn’t much bigger than our current site at belmore,it has everything the government requires public transport at the door,and quite a few schools in the area can use as well,much better option than that concrete desert at Homebush.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont buy "parking" is the main issue for belmore, you have other suburban grounds such as Leichhardt and Manly that have close to zero park facilities and still receive funding from time to time.
Belmore has the distinct advantage of being next to the railway lines. A stadium redesign should incorporate a special train platform just for the stadium where you step off the train and straight into the football grounds, you can also integrate other facilities such as cafes and bars in between. If we build this we would be the envy of other teams.
Imagine being able to fill and empty a stadium that holds 20,000 fans with majority using the trains and NOT clogging ups the roads, also Belmore is Bulldogs heartland.
I’m pretty certain I’ve never agreed with u on anything,but on this subject u r 100% spot on,and also a lot of parking at the club’ but like u say promoting public transport is the real winner.

Malla

Reaction score
Definitely does considering local parks are getting upgrades. Belmore still houses plenty of competitions including the younger grades of both league and soccer both male and female.

All it really needs is a basic upgrade not necessarily a tear down and rebuild.
Yeah mate, I heard last time it got any type of upgrade was in the 60’s. also the seats were recycled from the old SCG around the same time if I am not mistaken so it definitely needs an uplift.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah mate, I heard last time it got any type of upgrade was in the 60’s. also the seats were recycled from the old SCG around the same time if I am not mistaken so it definitely needs an uplift.
Shits me Parra have had 2 purpose-built stadiums built for them since the 80’s, yet because dogs fans are more cultured and care too much for their spiritual home to burn it to the ground, we get a 2nd hand stand in the 60’s and lipstick ever since.

Rorters will have a second new home built for them in a similar time frame as well, although they share with Souffs

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
can we not build over the railway line, eg a parking lot, the train could also stop at the ground level and let people off for the game..... grandstand could also go over the railway line

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've wondered why grounds seemingly have to to go north-south. I'm sure I've read the reasoning but forget. There is a ground that doesn't do this l which I also forget lol. It might be northwest-southeast, so not far from N-S. If it's done so the sun goes over from side to side, why? One team can get an advantage from that sometimes, depending on which ground. If you had an east-west orientation, the sun would be no more an advantage or disadvantage to both teams.

If an E-W ground could be done, we could build an awesome stadium at Belmore. All the space is to the east and west and none at either end ffs.
It's because of the position of the sun.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolute shithouse... If they could somehow do what they are doing to Concord at Belmore that would be amazing! As much as we love the T.Lamb hill a T.Lamb Grandy would be tha shiznit.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Politician's need to do better for this area. Parra cheated the cap and get a new ground WTF.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Give me a new Parramatta style stadium in Liverpool ahead of Belmore any day. I know we have memories and history there but it’s a pain in the arse driving around there, parking is crap and it’s too small. Time to move on
New stadium allows for corporate boxes, if you know about stadiums, you'd know they are big money makers in a stadium. A 30k plus upgradability features and plenty of corporate boxes.
Liverpool makes sense and it's just down Canterbury rd. Need to have Bulldogs in a solid financial and facility position to ensure we remain relevant for generations and after ours to come. Don't rely on the government to build it, just seek the finances and government grants and build it otherwise we'd have to share with another NRL team and we'd complain it doesn't feel like a home. It's doable