Belmore Sports Ground - 7 News

Belmore is Life

New Pup
Reaction score
Did anyone see the short segment on 7 News Tonight regarding Belmore Sports Ground? I managed to catch it briefly, however not the entire segment. Was something about Dogs fans not being happy that Penrith has received funding for their new stadium upgrade and not Belmore Sports Ground. I think our CEO may have been on there as well, however can’t recall 100%.

Does anyone have any details about this short segment and whether the club is actively attempting to lobby the government for funding for Belmore?

Thread update: I have located the segment for reference. The link is:

Last edited:

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belmore's greatest issue is parking (or lack thereof).

They'd have to build a multi story carpark on the training fields, and even then the arterial roads around it wouldn't cope with the traffic.

The station, sure it's close, but its not on an easily accessible line either.

As much as I hate to say it, there aren't many redeeming reasons to upgrade Belmore, it's as simple as that.

The new Panthers stadium will get used for Womans FIFA World Cup, has easily accessible parking (and Panthers right next door), and a station on a major train line.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Belmore still deserves an upgrade
Definitely does considering local parks are getting upgrades. Belmore still houses plenty of competitions including the younger grades of both league and soccer both male and female.

All it really needs is a basic upgrade not necessarily a tear down and rebuild.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the ground don’t have sufficient parking access issues etc knock it down and rebuild a high performance centre on it . get a tenure on one of the new stadiums they want to build. Or redesign knock down and redesign the stadium like Bankwest with the steep stands.
Take those politicians for some Chinese get it done

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont buy "parking" is the main issue for belmore, you have other suburban grounds such as Leichhardt and Manly that have close to zero park facilities and still receive funding from time to time.
Belmore has the distinct advantage of being next to the railway lines. A stadium redesign should incorporate a special train platform just for the stadium where you step off the train and straight into the football grounds, you can also integrate other facilities such as cafes and bars in between. If we build this we would be the envy of other teams.
Imagine being able to fill and empty a stadium that holds 20,000 fans with majority using the trains and NOT clogging ups the roads, also Belmore is Bulldogs heartland.

Last edited:

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd love to see it rebuilt like it deserves into a Commbank/Bankwest but that will never happen due to a lack of parking and accessibility. I like the idea of a high performance facility like they are doing at Concord.

There is zero chance of both a facility and new stadium.

you have other suburban grounds such as Leichhardt and Manly that have close to zero park facilities and still receive funding from time to time.
I heard Manly mentioned not long ago as another sports ground thats on the list to get likely upgraded, that place just reminds me of the injury suffered by the Morris Bro's.

silva

Utility
Reaction score
They can’t build a parking lot under the stadium or on adjacent fields?…appears the only issue is the funding to build and convincing the government it is in community or their interest. If they can team up with a few teams from other codes who could use the venue it would be more appealing to the government.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Belmore's greatest issue is parking (or lack thereof).

They'd have to build a multi story carpark on the training fields, and even then the arterial roads around it wouldn't cope with the traffic.

The station, sure it's close, but its not on an easily accessible line either.

As much as I hate to say it, there aren't many redeeming reasons to upgrade Belmore, it's as simple as that.

The new Panthers stadium will get used for Womans FIFA World Cup, has easily accessible parking (and Panthers right next door), and a station on a major train line.
I dont buy "parking" is the main issue for belmore, you have other suburban grounds such as Leichhardt and Manly that have close to zero park facilities and still receive funding from time to time.
Belmore has the distinct advantage of being next to the railway lines. A stadium redesign should incorporate a special train platform for just for the stadium where you step off the train and straight into the football grounds, you can also integrate other facilities such as cafes and bars in between. If we build this we would be the envy of other teams.
Imagine being able to empty a stadium that holds 20,000 fans with majority using the trains and NOT clogging ups the roads, also Belmore is Bulldogs heartland.
Yep, parking and transport didn't stop Manly getting government funding. They have probably the most difficult ground to access in Sydney. Similar to Cronulla. Leichhardt is at least kind of central. Kogarah less so. The fact is, it's a common issue, but hasn't stopped others getting funding. Penrith isn't exactly easy to access either. I guess you can park in Panthers club car park? I can't remember if I have. I remember parking in a small area right out the front of the ground once. If you can park in Panthers it's good, but it's a long walk from the station if travelling by train.

Belmore being close to the station is a plus, but most people probably travel by car. I've done so on heaps of occasions and have always parked in a nearby street. It's not great, but not that bad either. Much easier than trying to find a park at Brookvale. I think I've parked on the fields behind Belmore SG too. What's wrong with that? It's a huge area. I guess it couldn't be used if the ground is even slightly wet, or maybe not at all because it's used for training?

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I know they're upgrading lots of rail infrastructure for Sydney Metro. Will that improve rail access to Belmore?

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I know some of you guys might be angry at this post but because we are a labor dominated area we get little state funding, most money goes into liberal areas and the liberal voters.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I know some of you guys might be angry at this post but because we are a labor dominated area we get little state funding, most money goes into liberal areas and the liberal voters.
Further widening the divide between leafy suburbs and not so leafy unfortunately.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Belmore has the distinct advantage of being next to the railway lines. A stadium redesign should incorporate a special train platform for just for the stadium where you step off the train and straight into the football grounds, you can also integrate other facilities such as cafes and bars in between. If we build this we would be the envy of other teams.
Imagine being able to empty a stadium that holds 20,000 fans with majority using the trains and NOT clogging ups the roads, also Belmore is Bulldogs heartland.
100% agree with this and suggested same a while ago.

I dont know Spoonman. If the field runs parallel to the train line and you built a small limited multi story car park for say 500 cars (for corporate or anyone that wishes to pay a premium) and you could build a stadium that seats 15-20,000.

Added to that we could ask the State government to build a temporary rail platform that is only used on game days and there is plenty of room were I marked on the picture. If we pulled that off supporters and visitors could get the train from anywhere in Sydney right to the gate.

We have a block of dirt worth $100 million dollars as collateral so even if we borrowed the money from the state government we could build it and maybe do a share deal or rental deal with the Tigers or Dragons or possible with the A League as a stadium deal like we have at Homebush. With Homebush not going ahead this could be a very attractive option for the State Government.

Then we would have a fortress, and put to rest any suggestion ever or relocation or merging.

View attachment 15794

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As per the video, 50yrs since the last upgrade so the next one needs to be significant. Unfortunately there’s not enough room to build a proper stadium unless you put a roof on it and turn it east-west. Unless of course the govt acquires some houses or builds a stand over the (soon-to-be) Metro line…both significant additional funding requirements that make it easy for a govt to say no.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The club seems very luke warm on using Belmore for anything other than a training/admin base with 1 or 2 games a year.

Anything else besides that just isn't happening otherwise there would have been a lot more effort to grab some of the stadium funding going around at the minute.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, parking and transport didn't stop Manly getting government funding. They have probably the most difficult ground to access in Sydney. Similar to Cronulla. Leichhardt is at least kind of central. Kogarah less so. The fact is, it's a common issue, but hasn't stopped others getting funding. Penrith isn't exactly easy to access either. I guess you can park in Panthers club car park? I can't remember if I have. I remember parking in a small area right out the front of the ground once. If you can park in Panthers it's good, but it's a long walk from the station if travelling by train.

Belmore being close to the station is a plus, but most people probably travel by car. I've done so on heaps of occasions and have always parked in a nearby street. It's not great, but not that bad either. Much easier than trying to find a park at Brookvale. I think I've parked on the fields behind Belmore SG too. What's wrong with that? It's a huge area. I guess it couldn't be used if the ground is even slightly wet, or maybe not at all because it's used for training?

I'm not sure on the specifics, but I know they're upgrading lots of rail infrastructure for Sydney Metro. Will that improve rail access to Belmore?
- Panthers has heaps of parking, or is a 20min walk from the station.
- Leichardt Oval has lots of available parking around the area.
- Brookvale Oval, sure it has less parking, and isn't anywhere near a station, but it does have public parking in surrounding area (whereas Belmore has basically none). Most times I've gone there I get there early and park out the front.
- Cronulla and Kogarah I can't say I've ever been too.

One thing though, aren't all those stadiums already ticking the box for minimum capacity for NRL games?

Perhaps another issues is that they are looking at where memberships are from, and realising that most people are not from the Canterbury Bankstown area who follow Bulldogs. That might explain the lack of push as well.

Add in they are trying to push for another brand new stadium out Bass Hill/Liverpool way instead.

I love Belmore as our spiritual home, and have fond memories of there, but I just don't think it's feasible (and with housing right up to the stadium that makes it harder). They can't use the field next door as that needs to be a training paddock.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Give me a new Parramatta style stadium in Liverpool ahead of Belmore any day. I know we have memories and history there but it’s a pain in the arse driving around there, parking is crap and it’s too small. Time to move on