Beer Appreciation Thread

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Beer tax is about to increase again. Beers going up. Apparently we have the 4th most expensive beer in the world now. Its unaustralian

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Beer tax is about to increase again. Beers going up. Apparently we have the 4th most expensive beer in the world now. Its unaustralian
Yep. Even now, a shout of 3 pints of a standard aussie beer, you don't get much change out of $50.

Philistine

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yesterday the bloodsuckers at the tax office raised the excise on the alcohol in beer and wine from $94.31 to $97.90 per litre. The explanatory notes from the tax office are apparently written in Sanskrit with a few English words scattered through the text, but, if I am working it out correctly (no guarantees), a bottle of cheap red - 750 ml and 14% ABV - will attract duty of $10.28. Similarly, a bottle of cheap Aldi vodka (700 ml and 40% ABV) will attract duty of $27.41. If you buy your booze from Aldi (I do some of the time), the cheap no-name vodka sells for $30 plus change, which doesn't leave either Aldi or the manufacturer much room to make a profit.

If you do the sums the same way, a 24 can case of VB @4.9% ABV will attract duty of $43.17. Spare a thought for the owner of the bottle-oh who has to sell the case at $50 to compete. I can't shed a tear for the pub owner, who pours it into a glass and sells it for $10 or $15 ($240 or $360 for the case).

Where am I going with this? 2 points:
i) the duty is outrageous but it makes no distinction between good stuff and rubbish, so if you have to buy booze at all - buy good stuff!
ii) why buy at all? You can legally make as much wine and beer (not spirits) as you want without paying a cent in duty. And it is easy.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yesterday the bloodsuckers at the tax office raised the excise on the alcohol in beer and wine from $94.31 to $97.90 per litre. The explanatory notes from the tax office are apparently written in Sanskrit with a few English words scattered through the text, but, if I am working it out correctly (no guarantees), a bottle of cheap red - 750 ml and 14% ABV - will attract duty of $10.28. Similarly, a bottle of cheap Aldi vodka (700 ml and 40% ABV) will attract duty of $27.41. If you buy your booze from Aldi (I do some of the time), the cheap no-name vodka sells for $30 plus change, which doesn't leave either Aldi or the manufacturer much room to make a profit.

If you do the sums the same way, a 24 can case of VB @4.9% ABV will attract duty of $43.17. Spare a thought for the owner of the bottle-oh who has to sell the case at $50 to compete. I can't shed a tear for the pub owner, who pours it into a glass and sells it for $10 or $15 ($240 or $360 for the case).

Where am I going with this? 2 points:
i) the duty is outrageous but it makes no distinction between good stuff and rubbish, so if you have to buy booze at all - buy good stuff!
ii) why buy at all? You can legally make as much wine and beer (not spirits) as you want without paying a cent in duty. And it is easy.
Yeah, I'm definitely in the quality over quantity stage these days. I'd rather spend my $$'s on some high quality beers from small breweries than a carton of the bland mainstream stuff. Same for spirits. But fmd it's expensive. Anything over 90 proof seems to cost more than some new cars.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The oldest known cooking recipe of mankind is for beer.. It’s a fact, look it up. Fuckin disgrace that stupid politicians rape us all for the pleasure of it.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope it wasn't this. I mean, I'm all for trying new things, but it's a hard no from me (and I drank 3 cans to make sure before abandoning the 4th).

I swung by about 2pm or so. It was pretty quiet. What time were you there?

View attachment 65703
No, I avoided that one. I had one of the IPAs, can't remember what it was called. I also had one at 'Flat Lizard', just round the corner. Not bad. I was there about 4:30pm.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love nothing better in summer than dropping in for a schooner after working outside all day but i'm a born migraine sufferer , so only 2 beers i know of that don't give me one almost instantly, Cascade light and Asahi, wish i knew why i'd find some more!

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I don’t rate many Aussie beers but really liked One Drop three cubed West Coast IPA. It was much better on tap but cans are decent too

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No, I avoided that one. I had one of the IPAs, can't remember what it was called. I also had one at 'Flat Lizard', just round the corner. Not bad. I was there about 4:30pm.
I've only been top flat lizard three times. Twice for a cheeky pint and the other to grab some takeaway. Product is ok, but I find the staff (some are the owners) to be quite unfriendly, and even rude. Of course, its not the only reason why i'd buy from someone, but if you compare it to Happy Valley, which is its main rival, literally being around the corner, where they are always really nice, relaxed and unpretentious. They seem to be like chalk and cheese.

My criticism of Happy Valley is that they change their beers over a bit too often for me. I'll go back a few weeks after buying something i really liked, and bang, its gone and they've moved on!

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only been top flat lizard three times. Twice for a cheeky pint and the other to grab some takeaway. Product is ok, but I find the staff (some are the owners) to be quite unfriendly, and even rude. Of course, its not the only reason why i'd buy from someone, but if you compare it to Happy Valley, which is its main rival, literally being around the corner, where they are always really nice, relaxed and unpretentious. They seem to be like chalk and cheese.

My criticism of Happy Valley is that they change their beers over a bit too often for me. I'll go back a few weeks after buying something i really liked, and bang, its gone and they've moved on!
Yeah, I agree with all that. I was thinking Happy Valley need to stick with a core range, and then have extras after that. But still a big fan of theirs and the few times I've actually been to their venue, it's always been a good vibe. I liked Flat Lizard, but as you say, customer service is not their strongpoint. Ol-matey bar server was fairly grumpy. I'm going to try to get out to Scarborough Brewery soon.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with all that. I was thinking Happy Valley need to stick with a core range, and then have extras after that. But still a big fan of theirs and the few times I've actually been to their venue, it's always been a good vibe. I liked Flat Lizard, but as you say, customer service is not their strongpoint. Ol-matey bar server was fairly grumpy. I'm going to try to get out to Scarborough Brewery soon.
Apparently there is a brewery on Straddie I never knew about.

Found this at my fave independent bottlo (Shaw Rd, Wavell Heights). They appear to do the usual standards, like an IPA, Pale, lager and mid strength something or other.

I wouldn't seek it out again, but I'd also have no hesitation buying it again as well.

20230301_194354.jpg

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So @Roll the Bones , tried this one?

I saw it there in the takeaway fridge and initially thought "yeah, nah" (im neither a blood orange or gin fan), and then the young lady working there told me it was their current best seller and I should try one. So, three free samplers later, I brought a 4 pack home.

I'll know in about an hour if this was a regretful purchase ot not...

20230414_194400.jpg

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So @Roll the Bones , tried this one?

I saw it there in the takeaway fridge and initially thought "yeah, nah" (im neither a blood orange or gin fan), and then the young lady working there told me it was their current best seller and I should try one. So, three free samplers later, I brought a 4 pack home.

I'll know in about an hour if this was a regretful purchase ot not...

View attachment 68459
No, haven't had or seen that one before. I don't mind an IPA, and a gin, but not sure about mixing the two. Let me know how it is.

I had a wander around West End this arvo. Dropped in to Catchment Brewing. Quite liked their IPA.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
No, haven't had or seen that one before. I don't mind an IPA, and a gin, but not sure about mixing the two. Let me know how it is.

I had a wander around West End this arvo. Dropped in to Catchment Brewing. Quite liked their IPA.
There's enough places in West End to do a little bit of a brewery pub crawl.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The oldest known cooking recipe of mankind is for beer.. It’s a fact, look it up. Fuckin disgrace that stupid politicians rape us all for the pleasure of it.

On behalf of my ancestors, you're welcome!