Beastwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow. Ironic.
no irony champ, I just like to stir the pot if you haven't noticed. It's good to have someone contradict the prevailing wisdom, so to speak, every now and then.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Everybody's opinion on anything is biased (including mine). Nobody is in possession of the full facts about any particular thing. His views were based on some bits of negative information he had heard or read and therefore this coloured his opinion of Eastwood (unfairly i might add). I;m sure his opinion was honest and he honestly thought Eastwood would fail, but this was based on biased information. That's why there were others thought he would have been a great buy.

The ones that thought he would have been a great buy either had positively biased information or were in possesion of both negative and positive information about Eastwood, and decided that the positives far outweighed the negatives.
That would've been correct if he solely focused on the negatives, which he clearly didn't. Rightfully, he had questions and reservations from proven facts. What he said wasn't entirley incorrect.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
KE you can be my bodyguard. :p

And Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my issues with the whole thing was that he would pretty much always be headed to Leeds and what I didn't want at the time was a player like Eastwood to kill it, us to love him on the team and then him to leave with us having a hole to fill.

But considering he could help us win a premiership none of that matters and it's all about this season and nothing else.

I still think Harrison has a huge future and Warburton is a very good player who keeps getting better in all areas but with Eastwood going we lack that second rower how can punch the line and has a tonne of ball skills. Hopefully Halatau can realise his potential at Canterbury like others in recent years have and provide a bit of that.
i'm yet to be convinced on either harrison or g-wart.

On harrison, he's obviously unproven. But everyone has to start somewhere. More concerning is his size. I don't know whether he's got the bulk to make it in the NRL. Playing NYC is a totally diff kettle of fish as Barba has now found out. I realise that others like Stagg and Johnson have survived despite their size, but not everyone does.

On g-wart... I have been vocal in my criticism of this bloke. Yes some of it was unfair. He has made marginal improvements over the year. he made one or two decent runs last night. But where is his future. Is it in the starting line-up or coming off the bench. I just don't know if he provides enough impact in either of those spots. He doesn't make mistakes... thats a plus. But he still seems vulnerable and can get bullied by bigger opponents.

Still both are not as good as the beast.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That would've been correct if he solely focused on the negatives, which he clearly didn't. Rightfully, he had questions and reservations from proven facts. What he said wasn't entirley incorrect.
he mentioned in passing some positives, but was clearly more biased towards from the negatives - which, i must say, was unwarranted. Especially considering his performance at the World Cup in the pre-season.

Some ppl just have it out for particular individuals. I suspect that was at the bottom of ben's opposition to Eastwood

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
he mentioned in passing some positives, but was clearly more biased towards from the negatives - which, i must say, was unwarranted. Especially considering his performance at the World Cup in the pre-season.

Some ppl just have it out for particular individuals. I suspect that was at the bottom of ben's opposition to Eastwood
One tournament doesn't make a career....

You couldn't be more wrong IMO. I have never seen Ben even mention Eastwood's name before being linked to us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i'm yet to be convinced on either harrison or g-wart.

On harrison, he's obviously unproven. But everyone has to start somewhere. More concerning is his size. I don't know whether he's got the bulk to make it in the NRL. Playing NYC is a totally diff kettle of fish as Barba has now found out. I realise that others like Stagg and Johnson have survived despite their size, but not everyone does.

On g-wart... I have been vocal in my criticism of this bloke. Yes some of it was unfair. He has made marginal improvements over the year. he made one or two decent runs last night. But where is his future. Is it in the starting line-up or coming off the bench. I just don't know if he provides enough impact in either of those spots. He doesn't make mistakes... thats a plus. But he still seems vulnerable and can get bullied by bigger opponents.

Still both are not as good as the beast.
Harrison does need to bulk up a little but for the type of player he is bulk isn't everything. He isn't just a good defender. He has a very good running and passing game and is heavily skilled. I realise that the NYC is complete rubbish and a joke but to me he has great potential to have a lengthy FG career.

Everyone has to remember Agro is still young and he's still played no more than 25 FG games. That's nothing and he's still a baby in FG terms. He's improving each week. He's a very good defender and his attacking game improves every week. You need guys like him in the team even if we have a similar type player in Stagg playing 80 minutes each week. Guys like Warburton serve very little purpose off the bench IMO. He should be starting now and Eastwood should be off the bench (even if he plays more minutes) because Eastwood provides more impact.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

My only question about Eastwood has always been does he have the talent and potential to be a great player who plays at least 65 minutes a game every week terrorising the opposition?

I think everyone's answer would be yes.

And throughout his entire career he hasn't gone onto the next level for whatever reason and has mainly been a bench player. He should be, IMO, one of the best second rowers in the comp. I only say all of these things because I admire Eastwood's ability and always have.

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
One of my issues with the whole thing was that he would pretty much always be headed to Leeds and what I didn't want at the time was a player like Eastwood to kill it, us to love him on the team and then him to leave with us having a hole to fill.

But considering he could help us win a premiership none of that matters and it's all about this season and nothing else.

I still think Harrison has a huge future and Warburton is a very good player who keeps getting better in all areas but with Eastwood going we lack that second rower how can punch the line and has a tonne of ball skills. Hopefully Halatau can realise his potential at Canterbury like others in recent years have and provide a bit of that.
I saw Eastwood as filling the void SBW left and a bandaid solution to get us through 2009. We don't have much time to recruit for 2010, but have done well to get Halatau and Paea into our forward pack for more depth and cover.

Hickey, Warburton and Gordon will continue to develop and Hannant will only get better.

Davies was one of my favourite ever players and he only came eight weeks into the 1991 season and left at the end of 1991. He was amazing for us.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I saw Eastwood as filling the void SBW left and a bandaid solution to get us through 2009. We don't have much time to recruit for 2010, but have done well to get Halatau and Paea into our forward pack for more depth and cover.

Hickey, Warburton and Gordon will continue to develop and Hannant will only get better.

Davies was one of my favourite ever players and he only came eight weeks into the 1991 season and left at the end of 1991. He was amazing for us.
Yeah all of what you said is true.

But after Davies left in 91 and Connolly in 93 (was it?) after killing it for a short period of time you're left wanting more and disappointed that they were leaving because both players could have had remarkable careers at Canterbury. As could Eastwood.

But anyway, what's done is done and the past is the past. Lets just hope all of the younger players develop and the new buys like Paea and Halatau can step their games up and rejuvinate their careers like plenty of others have.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Harrison does need to bulk up a little but for the type of player he is bulk isn't everything. He isn't just a good defender. He has a very good running and passing game and is heavily skilled. I realise that the NYC is complete rubbish and a joke but to me he has great potential to have a lengthy FG career.

Everyone has to remember Agro is still young and he's still played no more than 25 FG games. That's nothing and he's still a baby in FG terms. He's improving each week. He's a very good defender and his attacking game improves every week. You need guys like him in the team even if we have a similar type player in Stagg playing 80 minutes each week. Guys like Warburton serve very little purpose off the bench IMO. He should be starting now and Eastwood should be off the bench (even if he plays more minutes) because Eastwood provides more impact.
i agree on harrison, by all means he should be given his chance in FG. And he may turn out to be a great player. I guess i'm just not that excited about him as some others are.

Yeah g-wart is getter better.... But how do you differentiate him from other players? I mean when harrison returns, we could, potentially have 3 players in the same mold - being Stagg, g-wart and Harrison. Stagg is a great player, g-wart is a decent one, and harrison is an unknown at FG - all do similar things. Where is the venom coming from? so I guess at least one of these guys is going to miss out. It won't be Stagg... I don't know, maybe g-wart can develop into a monster of a player. some guys take a while to realise their full potential (e.g. richie fa'aoso for Newcastle). Maybe we can play with those three successfully. But i think that every team does need an enforcer in the backrow. at the moment we have eastwood.

I think halatau will be used as a utility of the bench next year... which doesn't look good for the likes of barba.

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
you're kidding champ.... i'm canterbury through and through. Some of the opinions here are so one-sided that i like putting other points of view accross - instead of the self-congradulatory remarks often seen on this blog.
So you are admitting you are a troll?

Of course people in this forum will know the Bulldogs views best because we are Bulldogs supporters and naturally watch more of the Bulldogs than other clubs.

Are we biased because we rate Patten better than Graham or Coote?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i agree on harrison, by all means he should be given his chance in FG. And he may turn out to be a great player. I guess i'm just not that excited about him as some others are.

Yeah g-wart is getter better.... But how do you differentiate him from other players? I mean when harrison returns, we could, potentially have 3 players in the same mold - being Stagg, g-wart and Harrison. Stagg is a great player, g-wart is a decent one, and harrison is an unknown at FG - all do similar things. Where is the venom coming from? so I guess at least one of these guys is going to miss out. It won't be Stagg... I don't know, maybe g-wart can develop into a monster of a player. some guys take a while to realise their full potential (e.g. richie fa'aoso for Newcastle). Maybe we can play with those three successfully. But i think that every team does need an enforcer in the backrow. at the moment we have eastwood.

I think halatau will be used as a utility of the bench next year... which doesn't look good for the likes of barba.
Yeah that what I was saying before and why the departure of Eastwood hurts even more because he's the only player at the club who posseses that skill set and who is that type of second rower. As I said before hopefully Halatau can be the ball playing second rower here that he can be if he ever gets it right.

simmmo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are we biased because we rate Patten better than Graham or Coote?
Probably, but then if you wanted an unbiased opinion you wouldn't be asking a doggies or a panthers fan. I think fans of other clubs will agree that Patten is a better player than both those Panthers players - and i never asserted that Coote was better than Patten, only that they have plenty of potential. I still think both those players can have successful carreers in the NRL.

But some opinions are of course blantantly biased beyond what most other NRL fans would consider reasonable. you would expect that on a doggies fan site... I just like to provide some differing points of views and watch the reactions it generates.

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
Probably, but then if you wanted an unbiased opinion you wouldn't be asking a doggies or a panthers fan. I think fans of other clubs will agree that Patten is a better player than both those Panthers players - and i never asserted that Coote was better than Patten, only that they have plenty of potential. I still think both those players can have successful carreers in the NRL.

But some opinions are of course blantantly biased beyond what most other NRL fans would consider reasonable. you would expect that on a doggies fan site... I just like to provide some differing points of views and watch the reactions it generates.
This is a Bulldogs forum. What do you expect? Kimlo is the only non-Dogs fan we need in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.