Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
@NPC83 - how your ribs going bro?

You inspired me to chuck some on myself. Sitting at 196F - maybe another 45 mins to get to 205.

EDIT - if you are in Sydney and need the cheapest best quality meat - https://kor01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https://nicholsonsaville.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=6917bf66655605d8145790378&id=915373683b&e=ff11135711&data=05|01||847128d6a09943c8ca4308dbcf9c607a|84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa|1|0|638332042792735913|Unknown|TWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0=|3000|||&sdata=GNfO4TO08YXTkXM8Bbh/XR+fR0AFCI2Ifo3kPU4cahA=&reserved=0

Link is off my weekly sales email. Wholesaler for 5 star restaurants. If you can do better than this cheaper - I'll Vote No in the referendum :tearsofjoy:
Glad to provide the inspo bro.

Although you won’t be very impressed. I marinated some beef shorties in a bbq sauce overnight. Had a few too many vinos last night woke up this morning just after 5AM a bit behind schedule. 2 x short blacks to kick start me. Got lazy threw them in a foil tray 6 hrs on 130degs. Came out really good just unfortunately no smoked smell. Weak I know but they were still delicious with some coleslaw and snow peas.

Thanks for the tip, I usually go to the meat emporium Alexandria because they have everything and the cafe is cool. I get a chicken and pesto wrap and a coffee so I don’t make any decisions on an empty stomach:tearsofjoy:

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Glad to provide the inspo bro.

Although you won’t be very impressed. I marinated some beef shorties in a bbq sauce overnight. Had a few too many vinos last night woke up this morning just after 5AM a bit behind schedule. 2 x short blacks to kick start me. Got lazy threw them in a foil tray 6 hrs on 130degs. Came out really good just unfortunately no smoked smell. Weak I know but they were still delicious with some coleslaw and snow peas.

Thanks for the tip, I usually go to the meat emporium Alexandria because they have everything and the cafe is cool. I get a chicken and pesto wrap and a coffee so I don’t make any decisions on an empty stomach:tearsofjoy:
All good. Just doing a cucumber side with some oregano spuds atm.

And when I tell ya that you get your meat for half price compared to the emporium and its better quality, you'll be stoked. Only kickers are you order sight unseen and either get it delivered (free over $250) or pick it up from Taren Point. The other kicker is if you order say 2kg of something, they may give you 3kg or 4kg and you pay for it. Not a big deal, rather get more than less.

Been buying from them for 2 years and the only time I had the shits was a 3kg pork butt turned up as 6kg with the shoulder blade in. Pain in the ass to cut it in half.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Barbecues Galore got some good discounts on their stuff for Black Friday, was thinking of getting myself a smoker.
For those in the know I'm wondering what would be a good starting point?
Was checking out the Prosmoke Dragon Kamado and the ProQ Frontier Elite.
What is the main benefit of the offset smokers? They seem to be pricey.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barbecues Galore got some good discounts on their stuff for Black Friday, was thinking of getting myself a smoker.
For those in the know I'm wondering what would be a good starting point?
Was checking out the Prosmoke Dragon Kamado and the ProQ Frontier Elite.
What is the main benefit of the offset smokers? They seem to be pricey.
I had a Weber Smokey Mountain for years, it was awesome. Really easy to use and kept a nice constant temp. But I went to an offset mainly because I wanted a bit more cooking surface area, and it's also easier to add more fuel for longer cooks. But offsets are, imo, a bit trickier to use and take a longer time to really get confident with them, but I like that aspect cause I'm a smoker nerd. But saying that, mine has been packed away under a cover for over a year while I get a backyard project finished, and I've been using the good ol Weber kettle with great results.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
I had a Weber Smokey Mountain for years, it was awesome. Really easy to use and kept a nice constant temp. But I went to an offset mainly because I wanted a bit more cooking surface area, and it's also easier to add more fuel for longer cooks. But offsets are, imo, a bit trickier to use and take a longer time to really get confident with them, but I like that aspect cause I'm a smoker nerd. But saying that, mine has been packed away under a cover for over a year while I get a backyard project finished, and I've been using the good ol Weber kettle with great results.
Well I've got a Weber kettle, might have to just give that a try in the meantime. They do a decent job of smoking do they?

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I've got a Weber kettle, might have to just give that a try in the meantime. They do a decent job of smoking do they?
Yeah, they do a great job. Just look up a few vids on YouTube about using the snake method. That's the best way to go IMO for longer cooks. Just got to keep an eye on the temp and adjust it as needed via the vents. There's plenty of info and vids out there about using a Kettle for smoking.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Yeah, they do a great job. Just look up a few vids on YouTube about using the snake method. That's the best way to go IMO for longer cooks. Just got to keep an eye on the temp and adjust it as needed via the vents. There's plenty of info and vids out there about using a Kettle for smoking.
Ok mate, thanks for the advice. I would of thought it'd be hard to regulate temp just by using the vents but I suppose it just takes practise.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok mate, thanks for the advice. I would of thought it'd be hard to regulate temp just by using the vents but I suppose it just takes practise.
It's actually very easy. I had a Weber Kettle for about 10 years and all I did was roasts. Then I learnt much later on it was good for all sorts of other stuff. With the 'snake method', it's really easy to keep a low constant temp. Once it's up to the temp you want, I keep the lower vent to about 1/3 open, then adjust the top vent as needed. Then sit back and drink beer.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Dooges that looks outstanding!
tbh - pork ribs in Australia are a bit of a waste - all the meat goes to the pork belly. Not like the US.

Should be interesting, made a new BBQ sauce based on lemon juice - tastes pretty good but we'll see how it goes.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
tbh - pork ribs in Australia are a bit of a waste - all the meat goes to the pork belly. Not like the US.

Should be interesting, made a new BBQ sauce based on lemon juice - tastes pretty good but we'll see how it goes.
How was it Dooges?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Awesome. Sauce was the bomb. Doing that again.
You could sell it..

Doogie’s Special Sauce.. Even got lizard’s licking their meat balls..

Or my particular fav.

Doogie’s Special Sauce.. To flavour your man’s meat.. :D

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't believe this thread hasn't had more activity given its summer time.
Thought I'd bump it and given Australia day is coming up, please guys, post your bbq pictures.

Today I'm doing a basic bbq, but a bbq I have never done before.

Pulled pork, smoked low abd slow on my weber kettle.

My wife got the right piece of meat, but got it wrong also haha.
She got a Boston butt that's correct but she got one that had already been de boned. That's wrong haha.

Anyway, I'll go with it.
I'm all prepared, meat has been injected and seasoned.
It's sitting in the fridge as I wait for my kettle to get up to temp.
I'm doing the snake method with heat beads.
It's taking a bit to get to temp, I was hoping to have the meat on by now.
Anyway, sometimes you just have to be patient.
I'm using a home made rub,

I'm using hickory chunks for smoke.

Below is a picture of the prepared meat
Note, I put skewers in as I mentioned, wife got a piece of meat de boned, the skewers are to help hold the meat together as it cooks.
It came with a mesh netting on it,
I hate that crap so I took it off.
Screenshot_20240121_102343_Gallery.jpg