Baz's Record

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have to agree.
It's funny but the close Rnd 1 win, along with the tough Rnd 3-6 draw, basically gifted Barrett the first 11 rounds, as you couldn't have reasonably sacked him in this time.

But an evaluation needs to be made after Magic Round vs Knights and if we cannot get a win or 2 once we play the Tigers, you'd argue it's no longer reasonable to keep him as head coach.
I hope you’re right and if so I hope we lose the next 4 games so that he can be removed sooner rather than later. If he manages to jag a win or two he will see the season out and it will just prolong the agony. It won’t be long before he loses the dressing room.

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
So the following games I say will determine Barrett's fate..

Bronco's Away
Roosters Home
Raiders Away
Knights Home (Suncorp)
Tigers Away

Now, if we don't win at least two of these games Barrett needs to go and Gould, if he is fair dinkum about the club moving forward, must sack Barrett. So I am giving til round 11 for change to happen.
I text my mate after the manly game and said he would be gone by round 10

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surely you are not mentioning Barrett and Bellamy in the same breath and using the word coach?? I agree there will always be sack the coach threads for one reason or another but suggesting Bellamy wouldn’t have done any better than Barrett is little bit of a stretch mate.
Well said Bazildog. His views are so extreme on the whole coaching sham bullshit I’m starting to think he is baiting TK.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well said Bazildog. His views are so extreme on the whole coaching sham bullshit I’m starting to think he is baiting TK.
Nah mate, @Dognacious loves this club and this forum as much as anyone. He wants to believe that other factors are in play, and there is no problem with that from my point of view.

I convince myself every week that my hard earned on the dogs is a good thing, I just have never believed this is the right coach. That is the only difference between us.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baz gets to the end of the year. If we are bottom three then he should be sacked

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Baz gets to the end of the year. If we are bottom three then he should be sacked
I don’t agree with that timeline at all, but I think unless something extraordinary happens, it is how it will play out.

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The way i see this panning out is;

- Trent will definitely not be sacked this season

- Come November this year, if Gus has nabbed another coach, it will be announced for the 2024 season

- Trent will resign, and the new coach will come in 2023

I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky Stuart isn't in the discussion, because his time at the Raiders is surely up

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way i see this panning out is;

- Trent will definitely not be sacked this season

- Come November this year, if Gus has nabbed another coach, it will be announced for the 2024 season

- Trent will resign, and the new coach will come in 2023

I wouldn't be surprised if Ricky Stuart isn't in the discussion, because his time at the Raiders is surely up
Sorry, I don't agree.

Barrett's days are numbered.

This is how I see it panning out.

Gould rates Shane Flanagan highly. I can't help think Gould has Flanno in mind.

Put the following pieces together......

Gould has come out saying he is the one that held Kyle Flanagan back this year to get his confidence back but also had discussions with his dad on how he is going to manage Kyle. The fact that Gould , the General Manager can go to Shane, Kyle's father is unheard of ( if anything it would be the coach) and to have that discussion says alot about how both respect each other.

The other thing is Gould took over Kyle's welfare and footy because he wasn't happy about Barrett's treatment of Kyle, just quietly.

Now, who do you think will get the best out of Kyle? His Dad!! I think Gould knows that and the fact there are no top level number 7's available Kyle is our number 1 option and just like the Cleary's, Gould knows we can emulate the same model as Panthers if we were to get Shane. It can be a winning combination for us.

This is Gould's plan and if results don't come very soon like a couple wins by round 11, Barrett's days are done at the Dog's.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t agree with that timeline at all, but I think unless something extraordinary happens, it is how it will play out.
Yes agree. There won’t be a mid season sacking. You would hope that Gus and management would already have some sort of contingency plan if Baz doesn’t work out. At least have a couple of coaches in mind. Head coach is not the sort of job you want to be filling at short notice.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
barrett is a dud he wouldnt get a job coaching an under 10s team with his current record

Stinger

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nah mate, @Dognacious loves this club and this forum as much as anyone. He wants to believe that other factors are in play, and there is no problem with that from my point of view.

I convince myself every week that my hard earned on the dogs is a good thing, I just have never believed this is the right coach. That is the only difference between us.
Ok thanks for clearing that up mate.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Concensus coming together on TK that Barrett needs to go if we are to dig our way out.

That means a new coach and they must be proven, successful, experienced coaches.

That means only Flanaghan or Morris.

Anyone else got some plausible suggestions?

Glenn L

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't wait for Gus to not sack Barrett to see the Kennel turn on him.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Just watching the Sunday footy show and interesting to hear Cleary, Slater, Freddie and Joey all talking about how important defence is. Cleary went in to say that is the big difference with Cronulla under Fitzy.

He then went on to say great defence takes pressure off the attack and gives them confidence to play footy. I think under Barrett our D has suffered the most, we are soft with no intent and fall apart easily if we fall behind.

The first 2 rounds we defended emotionally and for each other, and although clunky we played some footy, just lacked a bit of cohesion and the ability to finish some of the chances we created.

Once the confidence started to slip our poor defensive structures were exposed. Furner was a good defender when he played but is clearly a shit defensive coach. And Barrett appears clueless with defence.

Aristidiz

Bullwog
Reaction score
Just watching the Sunday footy show and interesting to hear Cleary, Slater, Freddie and Joey all talking about how important defence is. Cleary went in to say that is the big difference with Cronulla under Fitzy.

He then went on to say great defence takes pressure off the attack and gives them confidence to play footy. I think under Barrett our D has suffered the most, we are soft with no intent and fall apart easily if we fall behind.

The first 2 rounds we defended emotionally and for each other, and although clunky we played some footy, just lacked a bit of cohesion and the ability to finish some of the chances we created.

Once the confidence started to slip our poor defensive structures were exposed. Furner was a good defender when he played but is clearly a shit defensive coach. And Barrett appears clueless with defence.
Agree, although through the first 3 rounds we had some of the best defence in the comp, just couldn't score. Now our defence has also turned to shit whilst our attack is still bad