Barrett's too nice

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really can't see Barrett getting too angry at players when they don't perform. Just can't see it in his nature at all and I think he's doing a disservice to himself (and the team) by being Mr Nice Guy. Players laughing and joking after the game should be moved on or at least dropped. Why the f..k he keeps picking Katoa ahead of Dietz I can't understand although in Katoa's case I think it's more about lack of skill rather than effort. At the post game presser Barrett mentioned about five times that the Eels were a "big team" as if we got monstered. More excuses.

Todd Payten isn't shy in letting players know the truth and the Cows are now performing better than expected.

Funny how Des used to rip doors off hinges when at Manly then while with us he remained calm and seemed to accept defeat (and always pick the same players) but I see back at Manly again he's showing passion again in the dressing sheds.

Barrett needs to make the players more accountable for their actions. Not keep selecting and making excuses for players who don't turn up.

I'm not saying we should sack him as I think he's intelligent and the shelves are pretty bare for decent coaches. He just needs to show / teach the players as much passion when we lose as he does when we win.

We should shed any player who has an NRL career win ratio less than 55%. We need to get rid of losers who are comfortable with and accept losing.

Elliott 33.33%
Jackson 46.34%
DWZ 45.65%
Hopa 43.71%
Napa 51.52%

Doggies2035

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Imagine Bellamy running our team he would be sweating swearing and throwing chairs and things and stress 24/7

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe from what we have seen so far. Time will tell, he’s just started, it will come you would think. But either way... he will be a good coach, I believe that.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t think getting angry at these players will do anything.

Half of them are gone next year, and judging by the way they play, they know they won’t be re-signed.
Exactly this, the club already knows this year is a write off

kaluah8123

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yelling and carrying on isn’t going to put fear into the players as much as calmly letting them know if you you are gone if you don’t perform or saying I will destroy your career by you seeing out your contract in reggies. Someone yells at me it’s water off a ducks back. Telling me my earning potential after my time here here has been cut in half will hit home harder. Answer me what would put the fear into you more?

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really can't see Barrett getting too angry at players when they don't perform. Just can't see it in his nature at all and I think he's doing a disservice to himself (and the team) by being Mr Nice Guy. Players laughing and joking after the game should be moved on or at least dropped. Why the f..k he keeps picking Katoa ahead of Dietz I can't understand although in Katoa's case I think it's more about lack of skill rather than effort. At the post game presser Barrett mentioned about five times that the Eels were a "big team" as if we got monstered. More excuses.

Todd Payten isn't shy in letting players know the truth and the Cows are now performing better than expected.

Funny how Des used to rip doors off hinges when at Manly then while with us he remained calm and seemed to accept defeat (and always pick the same players) but I see back at Manly again he's showing passion again in the dressing sheds.

Barrett needs to make the players more accountable for their actions. Not keep selecting and making excuses for players who don't turn up.

I'm not saying we should sack him as I think he's intelligent and the shelves are pretty bare for decent coaches. He just needs to show / teach the players as much passion when we lose as he does when we win.

We should shed any player who has an NRL career win ratio less than 55%. We need to get rid of losers who are comfortable with and accept losing.

Elliott 33.33%
Jackson 46.34%
DWZ 45.65%
Hopa 43.71%
Napa 51.52%
You want to sack Elliot, Jackson and DWZ?

Relax soldier.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each coach is different. Wayne Bennett doesn’t seem to blow up but he goes ok. Bellamy blows up and he goes ok.

We don’t see what happens behind closed doors. West’s tigers have missed out on players because their coach is seen as being too harsh. Modern day players won’t put up with being blasted unless it’s Bellamy or Robinson. They have earned that.

O’Brien is figuring that out at Newy. You can’t spray your team unless you have the runs on the board. They will just whinge and get a release.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Each coach is different. Wayne Bennett doesn’t seem to blow up but he goes ok. Bellamy blows up and he goes ok.

We don’t see what happens behind closed doors. West’s tigers have missed out on players because their coach is seen as being too harsh. Modern day players won’t put up with being blasted unless it’s Bellamy or Robinson. They have earned that.

O’Brien is figuring that out at Newy. You can’t spray your team unless you have the runs on the board. They will just whinge and get a release.
I agree with this comment. Gen Y are all little bitches.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many people work in high pressure jobs where if you don't perform you quickly lose your job. Most of those people would love a job where they can be comfortable, have job security and get paid whether they perform well or not. I think we have too many of these type of players in our team - players who don't put in that extra effort, players who aren't that competitive and are happy just collecting a pay packet and not being too fussed whether they win or lose. We need to identify such players and remove them from our systems like a f..king cancer.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No need to get angry with players that wont be there next year... they will be someone else's problem

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not every coach is like Madge that tears into players like a drill sargeant every two seconds. Every coach has a different style, demeanour and personality.. Although I do wish he'd drop certain players who don't give full effort or at least bench them more often.

Dietz couldn't play before this week as he's not part of the top 30 and Topine had the exemption to fill in for JMK. By round 11 when the stupid restrictions in the top 30 and development/reserves players are eased, I'm sure we'll see more changes.

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not every coach is like Madge that tears into players like a drill sargeant every two seconds. I do wish he'd drop certain players who don't give full effort or at least bench them more often.

Dietz couldn't play before this week as he's not part of the top 30 and Topine had the exemption to fill in for JMK. By round 11 when the stupid restrictions in the top 30 and development/reserves players is eased, I'm sure we'll see more changes.
It is dumbfounding. How many so called experts on this Forum dont get this.

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yelling and carrying on isn’t going to put fear into the players as much as calmly letting them know if you you are gone if you don’t perform or saying I will destroy your career by you seeing out your contract in reggies. Someone yells at me it’s water off a ducks back. Telling me my earning potential after my time here here has been cut in half will hit home harder. Answer me what would put the fear into you more?
Could also cause a massive rift amongst the players and coaches..

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Many people work in high pressure jobs where if you don't perform you quickly lose your job. Most of those people would love a job where they can be comfortable, have job security and get paid whether they perform well or not. I think we have too many of these type of players in our team - players who don't put in that extra effort, players who aren't that competitive and are happy just collecting a pay packet and not being too fussed whether they win or lose. We need to identify such players and remove them from our systems like a f..king cancer.
I don’t think its that, that our players just want to be paid and don’t have passion, it’s just that i think other teams have players where football is everything, it’s their whole life.
Whereas we have players were football is not everything and that creates a different type of culture...

We’re also way way down on confidence and belief at the moment, plus we’re lacking a few quality players in key positions- especially forwards

Last edited:

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not every coach is like Madge that tears into players like a drill sargeant every two seconds. Every coach has a different style, demeanour and personality.. Although I do wish he'd drop certain players who don't give full effort or at least bench them more often.

Dietz couldn't play before this week as he's not part of the top 30 and Topine had the exemption to fill in for JMK. By round 11 when the stupid restrictions in the top 30 and development/reserves players are eased, I'm sure we'll see more changes.
I think that slap on the face that Barrett recieved from the sidelines in full view of the crowd and everyone on tv by his coach at the time Nathan Brown, has probably shaped the way he interacts and delivers his messages to his players

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score

This ‘restrictions eased’ was only a rule that came in a week before round one.
The top 30 composition was Bazs choice and largely terrible management. What other teams have had to get so many exemptions because they left glaring positional shortages in their 30?
Players 26-30 aren’t really meant to see game time in first grade bar exceptional form. It was top 25 up until what? 3 years ago?
And here we are tapping out hookers and out of backs yet we have players like Romanous who can’t even make Mounties run on!?

Last edited: