News Barrett's Heart to nurture Dogs

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You think his defence, and effort plays, are up to it?
I don't rate Hoppa that much but he's still better than our other hooker options. He's too senior and on too much coin to drop to reserves and if he's smart he'll aim up as it makes him a valuable spine player and will extend his career. Given our crap roster he needs to be in the spine somewhere and he's too slow for FB and he'll be out his depth as HB. Turn him into a Cam Smith type hooker given our other options have snowflake's chance in hell of being a good hooker. He's too slow to defend out wide and Cam Smith had no problem defending in the middle.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wests Tigers fans smashed the shit out of their club over the weekend for their performance....Its a competitive sport ok to give occasional cuddles when the team is underperforming, occasionally... but this is a fucking basket case already. Clubs actually need accountability to say that this is not ok.
Barrett needs to shake em up like Kevvie has with Milford.

Hoppa and Napa.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I don't rate Hoppa that much but he's still better than our other hooker options. He's too senior and on too much coin to drop to reserves and if he's smart he'll aim up as it makes him a valuable spine player and will extend his career. Given our crap roster he needs to be in the spine somewhere and he's too slow for FB and he'll be out his depth as HB. Turn him into a Cam Smith type hooker given our other options have snowflake's chance in hell of being a good hooker. He's too slow to defend out wide and Cam Smith had no problem defending in the middle.
You're reaĺly rollin' the dice :grinning:

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely this post suggesting he is excellent with the cuddles ffs....

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Absolutely this post suggesting he is excellent with the cuddles ffs....
I do see that as Bennett like but yeah he has to demand a better performance from those just cruising out there.

His reputation hangs on it atm.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do see that as Bennett like but yeah he has to demand a better performance from those just cruising out there.

His reputation hangs on it atm.
Bennett can be ruthless sacked Wally Lewis to kick of his tenure.....once you establish some authority its ok to give some nurture.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're reaĺly rollin' the dice :grinning:
Fortune favours the brave although we're not risking much since we're 0-5. 2 things for certain. Hoppa in the backline = another loss. Bring in an untested rookie for Hoppa = loss. A team needs young legs for speed in the backs but wise old heads for brains in the spine. Our spine players are relatively all rookies and they can't cut it.

James zac

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need to back him and stick with him long term let him build his team as he wants

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whatever anyone wants to say about Barrett's coaching ability etc, at least he seems to have a great rapport with the players, he genuinely cares for them and he's a great communicator.

It's just too bad a fair few passengers don't make it up to him by putting in more effort. Those players have clearly been told they're not going to be here next year and they've given up. Which doesn't help them find another club and shows a lack of pride and competitiveness.. Hopefully Baz drops those bad seeds soon and the team can grow based on effort alone.
You would think that the players that have been told their contract won't be renewed, would actually put in more effort to land a contract at another club.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You would think that the players that have been told their contract won't be renewed, would actually put in more effort to land a contract at another club.
Absolutely. It's like they don't even give a shit about their own futures. As if the other clubs aren't watching.. Makes no sense..

What also bugs me or makes no sense is just a complete lack of general pride/competitiveness and desire to win. Or hating to lose at all costs. Some of these guys don't care about losing.. I hate losing in anything!

Any sport I've ever played at any level, I hold myself to a high standard and am filthy if I play shit or we lose. And that's just good level local comps and reps etc. But never the pros.. So where is their passion for the game and personal pride? It's alarming that some of them can't even find the motivation from within.

mikey

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Trent Barrett is doing it tough in his first season as a head coach of the Bulldogs, with his team sitting on the bottom of the ladder and licking their wounds from a 52-18 mauling from premiers Melbourne. But when I think of the predicament Barrett is in, my mind goes back 20 or so years to a touching moment I witnessed when he was one of the game's glamour boys with the Dragons. I just happened to be stalking the sidelines at Kogarah moments after the Dragons under 20s handed a Central Coast side a dreadful 70-plus point mauling in the curtain raiser to the NRL clash.

The crowd were taunting the young team from up the coast and Barrett, who also happened to be down among the players, noticed several players in tears. The former Test five-eighth wandered quietly over to the young team and told them to hold their heads up, they did their best, that football was a game of highs and lows and they would bounce back. His words were like a magic spell, instantly lifting the spirits of the previously down-and-out Coast team. It was a lovely gesture that was greatly appreciated by the downcast players - and makes me think that the Bulldogs are in good hands… and that things will eventually turn their way.
We always knew that the clean out would continue end of the 2021 season.there are players who aren’t even trying.
This year is gone so may as well blood some juniors when they are eligible to play

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hoppa definitely too slow for the backline. I'll try him at hooker as our current ones have been crap for years and at least Hoppa can pass properly and better footy brain than JMK and the others.
He too slow for hooker also.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Absolutely. It's like they don't even give a shit about their own futures. As if the other clubs aren't watching.. Makes no sense..

What also bugs me or makes no sense is just a complete lack of general pride/competitiveness and desire to win. Or hating to lose at all costs. Some of these guys don't care about losing.. I hate losing in anything!

Any sport I've ever played at any level, I hold myself to a high standard and am filthy if I play shit or we lose. And that's just good level local comps and reps etc. But never the pros.. So where is their passion for the game and personal pride? It's alarming that some of them can't even find the motivation from within.
This is exactly what Tbaz needs to manage.

Managers / coaches need to be ruthless in demanding 100 % effort from their team members.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bugger that, He’s actually offering nothing. Haven’t even seen him pass the ball with any quality at centre. I’m playing Topine there at 9 and when Dietz is eligible I’d have Dietz in 14 to come in when forwards tire and push Topine into lock.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
With the doggies in a rebuild I’d be dropping Hops to see if he can get some mongrel back and how about playing someone like Durey in the centers. Don’t think he’ll let anyone down and he can tackle. He has the mongrel in him and he’s hungry.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As I don’t think Schoup can play yet. And what I hear from a close source he still needs a little bit of time in reggies.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the fuck has that to do with winning nrl games. I want results . I expect results . I don't need a feel good story. Start competing in matches. Start picking players for the future. Start having a go !!!
Faaaarkkkk. We have the Grinch on TK.
Just a game bro. Next year you will start to smile again.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like TBaz and I'm sure one day he will be a great coach, I suspect he will be making some drastic changes come round 11 when he will have more players to pick from. Because of our roster injuries and suspensions affect us more than most teams
Correct. Pitty some don't understand the rules around picking players but want to put blame on Barrett for not picking them.