News Barrett quits key role at panthers

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are pros and cons to Barrett staying at Penrith or coming here. I'm happy for him to stay at Penrith but then again I wouldn't complain if he started tomorrow

The idea that he's not focusing on us is ludicrous. Just imagine what you would be doing in his situation. I'm sure when he's driving to work in the morning (I assume the drive from Wollongong to Penrith is over an hour), 99% of the time he's thinking about football he's thinking about us. On the drive back home, he'd probably be spending half his time talking to someone at the club about next year. FFS, he tried to call Elliot 3 times before Elliot called him back. 3 times.........for friggin Elliot. Imagine how many times he's going to try and call a good player were trying to sign.

We are his future so we will dominate his footballing focus...even when he's doing drills as Penrith he'll still be thinking of us half the time. As long as he's given the wink and the nod to Burton to follow him over and he's scouring for a hooker, we're good.
As Baz said in the fox interview it's still early and a lot can happen between now and end of the year. He won't be rushed into signing up players because we need to apply due diligence with our salary cap and spend wisely on the right players. That's why I don't think we need to rush and re-sign any of our current players coming off contract because 1) they're not that good and they are not in demand with other clubs 2) it only reduces our available cap to sign up the best possible new recruits in the critical spine positions. 3) as Penrith stocks rises as the year continues it will only make the Dogs a more attractive place for the best potential recruits knowing that Baz will be in charge next year.
We should only re-sign current players when our recruitment drive has been exhausted at the end of the year and their form warrants it.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I really don't understand your gripe in this situation. Barrett is clearly having an influence on recruitment and retention with us while working with Penrith. He and Hill have confirmed this numerous times.
O'Brien did the same thing last year while at the Roosters. Holbrook did the same while at the Titans. There have been numerous other examples.
Do you really think Barrett won't be working overtime within the next four months into preparing for the biggest and most important job of his life and recruiting for next season?
I’m glad you brought up Holbrook, he is only now starting to have some influence, some 10 months later. Imagine the changes he could he instituted if he’d started last October, the players he could have witnessed and coached first hand, the players he could have moved on and the players he could have recruited. Gold Coast would be much better off, basically they are a full season behind. Plus his situation was quite different to Barrett, Holbrook was the head coach of a team that were minor premiers, were the outright favourites and ending up winning the premiership. That’s a long way from someone who is just one of 3, an assistant coach.

Of course Barrett will be working overtime, but there is no doubt that we would be much better off if he was working full time ie; normal time + overtime. I just happen to believe that we will not be as good next year as we would be if he devoted all of his efforts to us starting this year.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I’m glad you brought up Holbrook, he is only now starting to have some influence, some 10 months later. Imagine the changes he could he instituted if he’d started last October, the players he could have witnessed and coached first hand, the players he could have moved on and the players he could have recruited. Gold Coast would be much better off, basically they are a full season behind. Plus his situation was quite different to Barrett, Holbrook was the head coach of a team that were minor premiers, were the outright favourites and ending up winning the premiership. That’s a long way from someone who is just one of 3, an assistant coach.

Of course Barrett will be working overtime, but there is no doubt that we would be much better off if he was working full time ie; normal time + overtime. I just happen to believe that we will not be as good next year as we would be if he devoted all of his efforts to us starting this year.

Go Dogs
Exactly. So Barrett should have more time because he's only one of three assistants. Obviously it's not ideal but that's the situation and there's nothing that can be done about it.

Considering he'll have five months with the squad before round one next year, I don't think there's much to worry about.