Official Barba starts new life as truck driver - UPDATE: Not anymore.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
It just seems odd that other players such as inglis, debelin etc have criminal charges yet get to keep playing but barba who's never been criminally charged (as far as I know) gets banned for life.
Shouldn't barba at least be trialed in Court before th NRL can impose the most drastic punishment
you're acting like an nrl club would hire him if he wasn't banned lol

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It just seems odd that other players such as inglis, debelin etc have criminal charges yet get to keep playing but barba who's never been criminally charged (as far as I know) gets banned for life.
Shouldn't barba at least be trialed in Court before th NRL can impose the most drastic punishment
I get what you're saying but it's probably his long history of misdemeanours (both reported and unreported) that made the Nrl finally say that they've had enough. I think the Nrl are just sick of dickheads like Barba and Carney who are bad for the brand. Inglis got off lightly with that domestic violence case but that was way back in 2009, if he did it today he'd be gone.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Two cocaine strikes and a termination from the game, fights with fellow players, previous domestic violence incidents.

The latest incident was caught be several CCTV cameras. That footage was shown to the NRL, and the NRL would have signed off on his contract on the condition that if there was any incident with him, he was removed from the game.

Only has himself to blame.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don't really understand the logic of how the NRL can ban him from the sport , If his wife is still with him he couldn't be that bad. Maybe she belts him up too.
You forget he has signed contracts and you can put whatever you want in contracts.

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Is there any way back for him in professional sport or is he completely done?

Wonder if he made some good investments as he made a lot of money over the years? Prob not if he just got a job as a truck driver...
Majority of footballers are deadset dumb *****. They could set themselves up for life with a passive income just off their first 4 year deal.

No doubt people like Smith, Slater, Cronk have property/investment lists as long as their arms because they have half a brain they can retire for life when they hang up the boots and still live golden. This still seems far between but. How these guys constantly piss away $300k a year is baffling.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Isn't there a ditch he could dig?
He's dug himself into a pretty big hole, so he has the skills.

Cowboys actually terminated his contract, not the NRL. NRL just announced that he is ineligible to sign a new one. First logical thing they've done recently.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Majority of footballers are deadset dumb *****. They could set themselves up for life with a passive income just off their first 4 year deal.

No doubt people like Smith, Slater, Cronk have property/investment lists as long as their arms because they have half a brain they can retire for life when they hang up the boots and still live golden. This still seems far between but. How these guys constantly piss away $300k a year is baffling.
Don't forget that I'm sure they get the service of expert financial advisors that ensure their money heads into astute investments.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is pretty funny sucked in dickhead

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Don't forget that I'm sure they get the service of expert financial advisors that ensure their money heads into astute investments.
Expert financial advisors in an oxymoron

But yes they should be getting some advice.

However young people (particularly young men) & big paydays are a bad mix, up here in Mackay when the mining boom was in full swing, young blokes (18+) get a gig on $120+, fisrt thing they did was go & buy a $60k+ ute & then go and buy a $40k boat. Live the high life thinking it would last forever & then when things turned to shit left with a trashed car an over priced boat & a shitload of debt.

If a footballer is on $300k then i imagine
Agent 10% - $270k
Financial advice 10% - $243
Govco 50% - $120k (good fin advice would obviously reduce this)
Rent - $??????
Car - $60k+

Now the average person would survive quite well on this, but these are young men & i remember when i was young(er) the mantra was "here for a good time, not a long time"

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember when i worked in the penrith area i used to have a few 1st grade players id sell houses too and some of them would say to me there manager has set them up getting a “good deal” with a developer for cheap propertys off the plan ,i said no developer is going to sell cheap ,youd think these managers getting kickbacks bigtime massive conflict of interest

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
$27 an hour is not bad
You're actually right.

My best mate drives b doubles interstate. If you took from when he leaves his family in the evening to when he arrives home the following afternoon, his hourly rate is pretty ordinary - but he likes the solitude I think.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Expert financial advisors in an oxymoron

But yes they should be getting some advice.

However young people (particularly young men) & big paydays are a bad mix, up here in Mackay when the mining boom was in full swing, young blokes (18+) get a gig on $120+, fisrt thing they did was go & buy a $60k+ ute & then go and buy a $40k boat. Live the high life thinking it would last forever & then when things turned to shit left with a trashed car an over priced boat & a shitload of debt.

If a footballer is on $300k then i imagine
Agent 10% - $270k
Financial advice 10% - $243
Govco 50% - $120k (good fin advice would obviously reduce this)
Rent - $??????
Car - $60k+

Now the average person would survive quite well on this, but these are young men & i remember when i was young(er) the mantra was "here for a good time, not a long time"
Dont forget the greatest of all bogan status symbols - the jet ski :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Guy needs to earn a living, but I certainly wouldn't hire him. Not because of what he has done necessarily, but becas use I know he would be as unreliable as fuck.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly, so if they've chosen to live this way I can't see how the NRL have the right to interfere and then terminate his contract. It seems unjust. I'm not saying barba isn't in the wrong for abusing his wife, I'm saying its not the nrls place to penalise him , we have a judicial system that deals with that.
The Nrl have judged him and found him guilty without a trial . It's unaustralian
The Cowboys terminated his contract because he broke the conditions written into it regarding behaviour etc. and then the NRL made the decision to de-register him like they did with Carney and a few others....

He hasn't had to face the music.... legally that is. If the missus does not push ahead with any sort of charges nothing will come of it.....mmm, then again did they not change the law so that a person can still be charged with DV if there is sufficient evidence and the police think it is worth while.That is why Dylan Walker is still awaiting his judgement....

I guess it is a bit unfair to think he is a train wreck and should still be playing in the NRL when he has been done twice for drug use..been under the microscope before for a DV situation, assaulted a team mate whilst at the Dogs... was involved in an unsavoury incident involving a team mates wife which led to that said team mate ( and then the rest of them ) not wanting to have anything to do with him...yes a fine upstanding young man and one that we need to have in the game...

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
you're acting like an nrl club would hire him if he wasn't banned lol
Probably not, but the club i drink at would've jumped on him for park footy. I was talking to Steve Jackson about it, he said its a shame about the blanket ban, reckon he could've got him involved with juniors & may have been a great mentor for the local indigenous kids playing footy.
Sad really, poor bastard will be feeling pretty shit for a while i suspect, at least if he was involved in footy there could have been some decent support structure & possible future redemption for him (not playing, but perhaps junior coaching or something).
I know the cowboys are apparently helping, but to what extent.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Guy needs to earn a living, but I certainly wouldn't hire him. Not because of what he has done necessarily, but becas use I know he would be as unreliable as fuck.
And he would damage your companies image. I wouldn't want a wife beating coke head piece of shit anywhere near my business.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He must have gone and gotten his standard licence a couple of years ago because in the early days his missus used to drive him everywhere.

You can upgrade a P2 licence; green ( which you hold for two years) to some of the heavy vehicles licences, particularly Light Rigid (LR), Medium Rigid (MR) and Heavy Rigid (HR) after passing the relative test. I guess it depends what type of truck he is driving...

https://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/business-industry/heavy-vehicles/licence/index.html

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You're actually right.

My best mate drives b doubles interstate. If you took from when he leaves his family in the evening to when he arrives home the following afternoon, his hourly rate is pretty ordinary - but he likes the solitude I think.
Crank the tunes, crank the AC, what out for idiots, and enjoy a lovely drive.

I wouldn't say no to that... but my wife probably would.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Nice way to look after your family you piece of shite!

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there any way back for him in professional sport or is he completely done?

Wonder if he made some good investments as he made a lot of money over the years? Prob not if he just got a job as a truck driver...
Probably be playing in the stupid women's Afl.