Balance of the game

Stevo316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
At the beginning, I liked the idea of making the game faster, but thinking about it, I think they have gone a step too far
And need to tweak something to bring back the field together and bring some balance back into the game.
Teams are losing by an average of 20 to 40 points, where it would used to be 6 to 16 points and I believe it will eventually
Make people stop watching if there team is getting flogged by 40 points a game, just an opinion so please be nice lol.
What things should we tweak in our game?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
At the beginning, I liked the idea of making the game faster, but thinking about it, I think they have gone a step too far
And need to tweak something to bring back the field together and bring some balance back into the game.
Teams are losing by an average of 20 to 40 points, where it would used to be 6 to 16 points and I believe it will eventually
Make people stop watching if there team is getting flogged by 40 points a game, just an opinion so please be nice lol.
Your spot on mate

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Obviously the repeat sets are being used too frequently. The idea of speeding up the game is good, but players need to catch their breath. If the calls go to one side, the end result is that the other side tires toward the end of the game - and that's where all the blowout points are being scored.

One thing refs could do is be more diligent about the milking of penalties. They should call "held" the minute a player stops moving forward. Allowing them to wrestle, spin, and struggle to get a late pass away is killing the game as a spectacle. A tackle is made as soon as their forward progress has ceased. Why are referees waiting minutes before calling "held"?

The ten metres tends to be too lenient on certain teams, but not every team. I notice this when we are trying to get out of our own ten metres, and when we're trying to keep our opposition bottled up in their own ten. I can always predict which side will get the penalty, or the restart.

They could also crack down on moving forward or to the side in the play the ball; and stop allowing players to push the ball out of the hands of a tackled player, making it look accidental, and winning a knock-on call.

I'd also be happy to see a double movement allowed for a try. It's not a penalty if it happens in the field of play to gain an extra half metre in a tackle. If a player is close enough to reach out and score, why not call it a try?

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely losing interest. Sick of seeing absolute floggings week in week out. Melbourne, Panthers, Rabbits, Roosters if they continue to dominate their games, it will definitely turn other team fans off the game. I like watching a dog fight style game with two teams duking it out. Panthers vs Melbourne was only close because it was two top teams against each other.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Players are too gassed which is affecting the way the game is played. Not enough talent nor skill in the game. Would also help if the coaches coached in the spirit of the game. For many years they introduced negative tactics which brought in these ridiculous rules. NRL is dying.

Stevo316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Players are too gassed which is affecting the way the game is played. Not enough talent nor skill in the game. Would also help if the coaches coached in the spirit of the game. For many years they introduced negative tactics which brought in these ridiculous rules. NRL is dying.
Yes, and they want to bring in 1 or 2 new teams, what so they can finally get rid of a couple of Sydney clubs.
Also the good players have gone to the next level and the average players who where needed have gone backwards

Stevo316

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Obviously the repeat sets are being used too frequently
Correct, I watch yesterday's game and yes we did hold down but south's where doing it also.
I think they need to put a timer on it and if it's too long the bunker should let the ref know and then
That team gets 6 again, I see the referee on heaps of occasions saying 6 again and I'm just scratching
my head saying what was that for

Mike Fixa

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The 6 agains aren’t a good idea in the way it’s being used right now. It’s gone overboard creating lip sided momentum for only one team each game.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The problem is that players are bigger and faster than they were 30 years ago, this has the effect of making the field narrower, there are less gaps, or it is harder to create gaps. The 6 agains primary purpose is to help create gaps. It isn't the solution.

It would be really difficult to mandate that fields be made 10m wider, but maybe this should be flagged, so that in 20 years time most grounds have been able to achieve it.

In the meantime, the easiest way to create more gaps is to go 12 players per team. I'd rather that the game do that and get rid of the 6 agains

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has ALWAYS been poor recruitment and the mismanagement of the salary cap. Always been good teams and mad teams. The problem is the new rules have exacerbated this.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The problem is that players are bigger and faster than they were 30 years ago, this has the effect of making the field narrower, there are less gaps, or it is harder to create gaps. The 6 agains primary purpose is to help create gaps. It isn't the solution.

It would be really difficult to mandate that fields be made 10m wider, but maybe this should be flagged, so that in 20 years time most grounds have been able to achieve it.

In the meantime, the easiest way to create more gaps is to go 12 players per team. I'd rather that the game do that and get rid of the 6 agains
Hells bells I watched the jersey flegg yesterday and some of the young blokes there would put Andre the giant to shame. I hear what you are saying and agree.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL claimed that the set re-starts were instead of penalties. If that is the case then why have the amount of penalties doubled?

This one rule is going to cost the NRL in viewership.